1999 GMC Bluebird 6.5L TD - PMD & Resistor Settings? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
mark104
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1999 GMC Bluebird 6.5L TD - PMD & Resistor Settings?

Hello,

Last year I purchased a 1999 GMC 6.5l TD Bluebird school bus, converted it to an RV, got RV plates, insurance, all that, my blog on the conversion is weboughtaschoolbus.blogspot.com if you are interested in seeing that.

Now on to engine issues. I had some stalling happen 3 or 4 times in a 10 mile area, then I got it home, checked the air filters, they are good, started up again fine.

Got oil change, and a new PMD and relocated it to the front bumper. This seemed to fix the issue, but now it continues to stall but only after running for a while, around 10 miles or so and seems to fail after running hot or uphill for a while. Luckily I have some time and space to troubleshoot.

I ordered a new PMD (lots of research lead me to believe it might be that I got a bad one) - a different brand, should come Wed.

So I have some things to try. Like the new PMD.... but anyone know which resistor or if I should have a resistor in there at all? I put the #9, then the #5 and both stalled, I havent tried getting it to stall w/o a resistor, I will try that tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had experience in this engine and knew the resistor I should use or if any.

A few notable notes too:
- When it stalls, there is no misfires, it runs great, then it just stalls, losses power steering, etc a few sec later, have to pull over.
- It is hard to start after stalling but I can get it going after a few tries, 5-10 min, the PMD was NOT warm or hot last time I road tested and it stalled.

Other thing I was thinking in troubleshooting was to try to bleed the air out of the fuel line at the engine right away after stalling and see if it starts up immediately, would that let me know its in the fuel lines? Although from what I have read it seems like I would have some misfires or codes or warnings if it were air in the fuel lines.

Anyway, learning as I go, I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
mark104
Block Heater

Other info I forgot to mention, the IP was replaced 15K miles ago.... and I also replaced the lift pump which I am sure is working correctly.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

If you just let it idle for 15 minutes does it stall?
Any resistor will work, I would use the 5.
You need to have a resistor.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine harness, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
dieselmike1
Diesel Champ

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Even though you replaced the IP a while back, what your describing seems to replicate a bad IP. Next time it stalls after its warm, take and slowly pour cold water on the IP, and then try to start it. Just because you got a rebuilt pump doesn't mean anything, a lot of rebuilders just put in new seals and call it rebuilt. That's why its important to research rebuilders thoroughly to make sure they do a proper rebuild. Badger Diesel is a favorite on here for injectors and IP's.
Proud Member#1076 of the 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by dieselmike1; 05-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
nsdtk
Diesel Nut

5 is stock, 9 gives a little more fuel. Check your PMD Wire harness. See if you have a loose wire on the PMD side. I lost a PMD and had a bad connection on my last stall episode.
1994 Chevy C3500 6.5L NV4500 ,Outrider by Unique Conversion.Dually club # 1077, DE exhaust, Pressure Referenced Wastegate, LED upgrade in progress, In cab Dorman PMD, optical sensor filter removed ( shocked when i saw it was in there). LP Relay mod. Ate a valve, 117,900 Miles. RIP Engine #1,now 2016 GEP Optimizer powered and QuadStar tuned.
1995 GMC C1500 non turbo 6.5L 4L60E xVDOT truck. High Idle mod. Grey PMD on a FSD sync #9 resistor. Vaccum pump removed. No more EGR. Air intake opened up. 3 inch exaust on a high flow muffler. New push rods, Rockers arms at 246k. Was over10,000ths wear on the rocker arms.1998 style High Flow oil pump installed. Spins tires with little throttle again. 6.2 Injectors.Back running 80mph @ 21mpg. All this and now it won't roll black smoke at all. Just acts like a rocket ship 2004 Leather bucket seats from a Tahoe installed. That was a engineering fiasco glad that's over. Dorman PMD now, Grey one died. Tried number 5 resister again went back to a 9 just a dog with out it.OPS sensor rewired to remove load , fuel pump totally rewired as well. Now QuadStar tuned.
I do not recommend headlights made by Winjet.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
mark104
Block Heater

Has #5 on now, running it ritht now for 15 min to see if it stalls, then ill drive it around and try the cold water on the IP thing. For what its worh I got the bus from a big wealthy school, so I am pretty sure they used new OEM parts when replacing.

Will let yall know how the tests go, thx for the quick reply!!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
mark104
Block Heater

Well it didnt stall after 20 min of idling.... Put some diesel fuel injector cleaner and filled up the tank, drove it around for about 15 min with cold water bottle in hand, no stall... It was busy and i didnt really feel safe "wanting" it to stall so i decided to wait till i have time at a less busy time.

Thx again, any thoughts are appriciated.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Glad you get it fixed. PMD can be an issue anytime regardless of whether you like it to happen or not. By moving it outside the hood, hopefully, it help prolong the life. I am not sure what is the situation in bus, I suspect you should have a little more space.

The resistor should not cause a stall unless you happened to be in the time when ECM is asking for a resistor value which should happened once in a blue moon kind of a thing.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 05-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

The Suburban Club Member

How To Check For Air In The Fuel System

Another thing that can cause stalling is air in the fuel system.

The best way to tell if there is air in the fuel system is by replacing the rubber hose from the IP to the return line system. Use clear 1/4" fuel line. Oreilly's has it in the lawnmower parts area. You may need smaller diameter clamps.

Here are pictures of mine (mine is Tygon fuel line)

Clear Return Line 1.jpg

Clear Return Line 2.jpg

Clear Return Line 3.jpg

Then (tranny in Park with E brake on) start the engine. First check for leaks where you clamped the clear line. Then look for air bubbles.

If there are bubbles, you have to find and fix the leaks.

Last edited by Freddyack; 08-23-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
mark104
Block Heater

Not fixed yet!! : )

Thx Freddyack! I will try that if the new PMD does nothing. Can I leave the clear tubing in afterwards? Also, would it misfire before stalling if it were air? Seems like it does not misfire at any point.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in