Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Great work spicer!!! Very informative! and thanks to all the people that donated money towards this effort!

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As a follow up to the poor results in some of the additives. The common theme I see is that 3 are oil based (used motor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil and Lucas). The remaining additives, with the exception of B1000 from Milligan Biotech, are all "emulsifiers". The most common emulsifier in gasloine additives is alcohol. According to Steve Westbrook at Southwest Research, alcohol is known to lead to poor HFRR results. I will check with him to see if other emulsifier components can cause this same result with poor HFRR results. SPICER

· Registered
2,074 Posts
SPICER;1964347; said:
The only exceptions were Opti-Lube XPD and the bio-diesel sample. The reason for this is because Opti-Lube XPD additive was considered “experimental” at the time of test enrollment and was not yet on the market. It was sent directly from Opti-Lube company.
One question about this. What level of confidence do you have that the product they sent you to test is what they actually decided to produce and release as a consumer available product? I'm wondering since it was "experimental" at time of test, if the final product chemical makeup was still TBD.
BTW, thanks for all the hard work.

· Registered
2,647 Posts
Once again great work Arlen!!! :D This study will benefit the diesel community tremendously.

This test just goes to show you that slicker and thicker isn't always better as with the oil based products you mentioned. I would have thought the Lucas would have faired better because of the super slick feel to the product. I'm now really interested in the Opti product. If this stuff can repeat it's performance in my tank the cost/performance benefit would be top tier.

· Registered
531 Posts
Where does on purchase:
Opti-Lube XPD
FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Opti-Lube Winter Blend

Google turns up nothing on Opti-Lube
And I'd be better off putting in a qt of wally mart twc 2 cycle oil than a bottle of the silver stanadyne stuff I usually use?
And, excuse my lack of knowledge. I use the standyne stuff and usually do about 1/2 bottle per tank 34 gal. Will a higher ratio like the whole bottle improve the lube factor?

· Registered
2,463 Posts

· Registered
1,319 Posts
Well I guess I will continue going to my B100 retail pump(11 miles from the house) and know that this is probably the best lubricity additive/combo fuel out there.

Now since I use it in large blends I suffer a small hit in mpg but I still average 21/22mpg with around B80.

I also throw in some TCW3 two stroke.

Truck loves the stuff.

Great work SPICER and once again thank you for all your hard work!

· Registered
470 Posts
Outstanding job on the scientific study SPICER!

Very few scientists I know could have done as well designed and summarized a study as you did. :hail:

· Registered
531 Posts
Wow... The Stanadyne Lubricity Formula didn't do so well.
This surprises me. It is supposed to be a dedicated lubricity improver!

Looks like I will be using more B-20 and getting some Opti-Lube.

Spicer, thank you for your work on this study!

· Registered
708 Posts
Hey guys, I know its not available everywhere but I have to plug SOY biodiesel if I can. That way maybe the increased use can lead to some support of Americas farmers. :D

· Registered
1,499 Posts
RonJT;1964522; said:
Well I guess I will continue going to my B100 retail pump(11 miles from the house) and know that this is probably the best lubricity additive/combo fuel out there.

Now since I use it in large blends I suffer a small hit in mpg but I still average 21/22mpg with around B80.

I also throw in some TCW3 two stroke.

Truck loves the stuff.

Great work SPICER and once again thank you for all your hard work!
Ron, I can't find a location here in Orange County to buy B100. Where is your source located?

The next problem I have is how long can I store it before it deteriorates?

I would like to buy it and use it as an additive to my ULSD. Need to find some 1/2 gallon suitable containers for this.

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Curious if any of these additives have interactions with fuel supplied lubricants and/or rely on their presence to work.

That is, it would be interesting to know how some of these work with treated fuel. Does a 316 additive improvement stack with a fuel's 200?

Does alcohol content invalidate the HFRR test or does it increase the wear using HFRR and real world in a similar fashion?

Oh, and Thank You for your efforts.

· Registered
531 Posts
Here's a quick & dirty graph...

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Good job on the study! TYVM

Is there any copyright on the test?

Can I make a copy and hang it in my Biodiesel Production facility?

I have alot of customers who always ask what is the best additive and I guess I been telling them correctly!

· Registered
1,999 Posts
SixPak;1964587; said:
Ron, I can't find a location here in Orange County to buy B100. Where is your source located?

The next problem I have is how long can I store it before it deteriorates?

I would like to buy it and use it as an additive to my ULSD. Need to find some 1/2 gallon suitable containers for this.
This company is in Placentia. I sent them an e amil and they sent back a credit application so they can give you a card you can use. I guess they don't take regular credit cards and they don't like cash!

http://www.nickeypetroleum.com/

· Registered
3,648 Posts
:beerchug: Thanks SPICER and all those that worked behind the scenes on this study.

· Registered
659 Posts
Thanks a bunch to SPICER and anyone else who helped out. After moving earlier this year, I've been running B20 from one of the local stations, as much as I can.

I'm guessing FPPF Total Power would have come out close to the FPPF RV/bus stuff? I've got 8 16oz bottles of Stanadyne Performance Formula that I was planning on using when I'm not near a biodiesel pump. Guess I'll just keep some 2stroke oil instead.

· Registered
310 Posts
I see the Opti-Lube summer and winter products on their site but not the XPD? Is this a new and as-yet to be released product?

21 - 40 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.