Bad motor mount vs Poly motor mount pics - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Johnny Diablo
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The Suburban Club Member

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Bad motor mount vs Poly motor mount pics

I managed to get to the driver side motor mount a while back but now this is easy with the fenders, core support, radiator, batterys, kitchen sink out. Snapped this pic to help people see and understand why stuff hits the frame or doesnt clear or fit.

Turbo side motor mount seemed quite a challenge before not so now. You can see that the metal inserts on the turbo side must be in full contact with the shells. Will post pics later when this guy is out.
IMG_8313.jpg
IMG_8312.jpg

1994 Chevy K2500 Burb with 6 Pro Comp lift on 35s Heath Chip and Turbo Master,AC Delco 251-603 waterpump, Energy Suspension motor mounts and CA bushings, Dual alternators, ARP head studs, Diamond Eye exh, FS1212, 1R0749 filters , Raam Mat kit#2, 8 sensor backup sonar, 170-backup camera, PMD relocate
1995 GMC K2500 Burb with 6 Pro Comp lift on 35s
w Detroit Locker. Walbro FRC-10, , Power Window/Lock swap, Lexus GS350 HID Projector retrofit. Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp, Boost and EGT gauges

Last edited by Diaric; 12-31-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
pa32rt
Diesel Superstar

What's your question about poly - do you mean polyurethane as replacements?

2008 C3500 2WD DRW LMM. LT2 with everything. BANKS RamAir intake, MBRP turbo-back, Rotella T6 (5w-40), Quadzilla Stealth-2, DJM 7.5"/9" drop, Rancho RS9000s. AirLift 25415 auto-leveling bags/compressor. Weld 17X6.5 Velociti-8s, 245/70-17 Coopers.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big Bertha
Diesel Champ

Do a search and make sure you get the right poly mounts, if you order the ones for a 6.5 you will get the wrong ones, if I remember right you need the ones for a 2wd 454, DO NOT use aftermarket mounts, I had to change mine twice.
-HX40 compressor wheel,HX35 CHRA 14cm2 with a peninsular intake
-Diamond eye exhaust
-All new accessories at 204,00
--4An fuel lines from tank to IP
-Pre and post LP filters, Walbro FRC 10
-Pillar gauges, battery mod, upgraded GP wires
-Braided oil cooler lines, PMD in bumper
-New IP
-S&B CAI,20" 9 blade fan
-223,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa32rt View Post
What's your question about poly - do you mean polyurethane as replacements?
I don't believe there's a question, just a picture showing a worn out OEM and a new poly.
I did an extensive part number search when I did mine and the replacement inserts were 454 BB ones, and I can't remember much more. I don't believe I found a replacement mount, just the insert, but the clam shells rarely wear out and are easy to change. IIRC from a recent thread, the BB ones are just a bit longer, but are lot heavier.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Johnny Diablo
Self Ignition

The Suburban Club Member

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Yes, No questions here. Just really surprised when I noticed what a bad motor mount does for engine location. After seeing pics of what the aftermarket mounts look like on the inside I would never consider having one. Energy Suspension (hard to tell with all my paint) mount inserts are the way to go! They fill the entire mount shell!
1994 Chevy K2500 Burb with 6 Pro Comp lift on 35s Heath Chip and Turbo Master,AC Delco 251-603 waterpump, Energy Suspension motor mounts and CA bushings, Dual alternators, ARP head studs, Diamond Eye exh, FS1212, 1R0749 filters , Raam Mat kit#2, 8 sensor backup sonar, 170-backup camera, PMD relocate
1995 GMC K2500 Burb with 6 Pro Comp lift on 35s
w Detroit Locker. Walbro FRC-10, , Power Window/Lock swap, Lexus GS350 HID Projector retrofit. Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp, Boost and EGT gauges
Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
pa32rt
Diesel Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
I don't believe there's a question, just a picture showing a worn out OEM and a new poly.
I did an extensive part number search when I did mine and the replacement inserts were 454 BB ones, and I can't remember much more. I don't believe I found a replacement mount, just the insert, but the clam shells rarely wear out and are easy to change. IIRC from a recent thread, the BB ones are just a bit longer, but are lot heavier.
I took the VS. part as a question, I guess.?.

I was going to say, if so, I have put a few sets of Energy Suspension polyurethane units on my Camaros and one or two Impalas. So, gas vs. diesel, but still poly mounts.

I like that they will basically last forever, look much better, and are completely resistant to oil and all of the other chemicals that find their way to the mounts.

HOWEVER nothing is free. They do transfer quite a bit more of the engine movement back to the frame. IF the engine is fairly smooth, it's almost not noticeable. I would wonder about them being "uncomfortable" in diesel use?
2008 C3500 2WD DRW LMM. LT2 with everything. BANKS RamAir intake, MBRP turbo-back, Rotella T6 (5w-40), Quadzilla Stealth-2, DJM 7.5"/9" drop, Rancho RS9000s. AirLift 25415 auto-leveling bags/compressor. Weld 17X6.5 Velociti-8s, 245/70-17 Coopers.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa32rt View Post
HOWEVER nothing is free. They do transfer quite a bit more of the engine movement back to the frame. IF the engine is fairly smooth, it's almost not noticeable. I would wonder about them being "uncomfortable" in diesel use?
That comment has come up a few times, more so when the transfer case/ transmission are done as well.
Jury is still out on it, some people have said it made a big difference in vibrations, and I think most said it wasn't much of an issue. It is something to think about before doing. But in the case of OEM style replacement 6.5 mounts, very few seem to last for anything close to being reasonable, so poly is probably the best way to go.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2

Last edited by Diaric; 12-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Steve83
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I'm looking forward to seeing the "out" pics...
Dual Alternator Mod, Dorman FSD in grille, FFM raised, Opti-Lube, high idle switch, Curt Cl.V receiver, reverse sensors, hitching lights, 750W inverter, in-dash USB power, mini bed crane, all-on brights, Magnefines, revised 4WD actuator
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Steve83
Diesel Boss

What's the Energy PN you used, and what was the source/cost?
Dual Alternator Mod, Dorman FSD in grille, FFM raised, Opti-Lube, high idle switch, Curt Cl.V receiver, reverse sensors, hitching lights, 750W inverter, in-dash USB power, mini bed crane, all-on brights, Magnefines, revised 4WD actuator
Old 12-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mike K3500
Diesel Head

Motor mount pics

I took a few pics of some of the mounts I had bought...
One of the sets was from wrong advice, another set I had picked the wrong ones myself, the correct set I had called Energy Suspension directly and was given the correct number.

1st set are 3.1116
2nd set are 3.1121
3rd set are 3.1152

The 3.1152's ARE the correct 6.2 / 6.5 / 7.4 mounts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4912.jpg (79.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4913.jpg (81.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4914.jpg (51.1 KB, 113 views)

GEP N/A long block that's been converted to "turbo" spec, by me.
Custom machined pre-cups.
Custom built / popped Bosch injectors with marine nozzles.
DSG gear drive timing set.
Fluiddamper harmonic balancer.
ARP head studs, + .010 Fel-pro head gaskets, heads torqued to 125lbs.
Typical Diamond Eye 4" exhaust as of now...
2000+ cooling system upgrades, aluminum radiator, kodiak fan clutch, Duramax fan blade.
DB4 pump with a Ford 7.3 inlet cone 3/8" inlet, FFM modded with a 3/8" supply side.
"random, inferior chinese" HX 40 turbo.. for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in