Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 21K and since it was new if I drove it long enough on the highway for the clutch to stiffen up the trans would howl in 5th gear. Now once the trans gets warmed up if I let off the throttle above 2000 rpm in 5th gear from 2000 to 1700 it sounds like a bearing is bad. Below 1700 it quits. Anybody else have this? It's going in tonight to get the tow mirrors replaced hopefully it will do it for the tech.

·
Registered
958 Posts
did you mean 6th gear?

I've never noticed this, I'll start listening for it though..

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No 5th gear only when I let off the gas from 2000 to 1700. I think whatever is wrong shows up in 5th because it's direct drive. Any other gear will mask the noise.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've never had that happen yet. Does it vibrate?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CPMac, Not severely just like a bearing is going out. The weird thing is it happens between 2000 and 1700 very predictable. A bad brg should do it across the rpm range. The trans expert wasn't in last night so I took a different tech for a ride. Hopefully they can duplicate it. Otherwise I'm on vacation Friday. I'll have to make a special trip back.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wicked, I take that as good news. At least I'm not crazy. I've driven sticks long enough to know something isn't right. Me and the service manager are going for a ride Friday since the tech won't drive it far enough to duplicate. More to follow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah, please let us know, since 6 speeds are far and few between, we can;t exactly compare our truck to thie first Dmax we see...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my plan will be to attack my drive shaft shudder first. I've always had a slight shudder at launch right as I let out the clutch. Hardly noticable but there. It wasn't bad enough to worry about. Between the larger tires and two inch blocks the shudder is worse and the shudder happens at the same drive shaft rpm but because of the lower effective final drive it happens after I let the clutch out and start applying power. Now you can really feel it. IMHO the carrier bearing is set too far from the rear yoke. This creates an overhung load that doesn't control the movement like it would if it was closer. Since I'm not about to redesign the shaft I plan on lowering the carrier bearing to smooth out the angles. I feel this needs to be done first to eliminate the problem. My tranny growl is from 2000 to 1700 rpm and very repeatable which makes me believe if the tranny isn't bad maybe the shudder/vibration is creating a harmonic at that rpm. If that doesn't help I'll make a special trip to the dealer when the truck is warm.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I woulnd't know, I don't have a carrier bearing, BUT, I do notice an occasional mild shudder when letting the clutch out, just attributed it to being the nature of the Dual Mass flywheel, I know if I launch the truck pretty hard from a light, the next time I do a conservative takeoff is when I get the mild vibration taking off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts