Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the forum and even though I work at a chevy dealership, I'm wondering if any one else is having a slight grind on the 3rd to 4th shift? It is not a severe grind, just noticeable.

Love my truck, and probably won't ever go back to gas.

Jim

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jim,

Nope, haven't seen that problem. I have 30K miles on a '02. I do have the constant gear noise from the gearbox in 6th which is annoying sometimes, not sure what causes that. I guess I need to get an AFE Stage-II so I can hear the turbo over the gear noise... :)

Tim

·
Registered
95 Posts
jim-in-so-ore said:
I'm brand new to the forum and even though I work at a chevy dealership, I'm wondering if any one else is having a slight grind on the 3rd to 4th shift? It is not a severe grind, just noticeable.

Love my truck, and probably won't ever go back to gas.

Jim

I have seen this in both 5 and 6 speed ZFs that my brother has had in Fords. The synchros seem to wear out fast in those trannies. They are especially bad when cold.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got my predator yesterday and put the 120 hp in and was mashing on it going down the road about 60 and the flywheel I think has got a vibration in 6th. But unfortanetly its getting worse since I was grossing over 30000 for about 50 miles today.As far as the tranny goes Its going to have new syncros put in it at the first of the year. In 4th and 5th its got a vibration in it when you pull. Its getting pretty bad when I'm going to have my second flywheel put in and the tranny overhauled before it reaches 6000 miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jared83;

2500Hd or 3500 ?. What are you hauling ? 30,000lbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had 20 4x4 round rolls and a 763 bobcat on a 30ft 20,000 pound trailer.Truck and trailer weighs around 14,600. Pulled it like it wasn't back there(ye right). That ford that was behind me kept up pretty good. But he only had 22 roles, a 26 ft 14000 pound trailer and he had a superchip and a 4inch exhaust on it.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
No problems with mine. I do feel a slight knock of the gears grabbing on the way into 4th, but no grind...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
No grind but going into 4th I can notice the syncro isn't the greatest on mine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
From the day I drove mine home, I had a slight crunch going into 4th. Since a synchro ring is a friction device, I really did not expect this condition to get better with age, but much to my surprise, it did, and it's gone now. Is this a relatively new truck? If so, I'd say give it some time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My gearbox got much better with time as well. It would catch and grind once in a while when new but, I have 47K on it now and it is great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZFmax

Yes, I've only had the truck since the middle of August and I've only got 2800 miles on it so far. Hope it gets bettet.

Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I round the corner of the H pattern going into 4th I can get a grind. If I'm careful to go over and then up it doesn't grind.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ZFMax said:
From the day I drove mine home, I had a slight crunch going into 4th. Since a synchro ring is a friction device, I really did not expect this condition to get better with age, but much to my surprise, it did, and it's gone now. Is this a relatively new truck? If so, I'd say give it some time.

Have to agree I have 27,000 on mine now and I would say it is better now than when new, and getting better

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
mannytranny said:
No problems with mine. I do feel a slight knock of the gears grabbing on the way into 4th, but no grind...

Mine is exactly the same.
I Intend to replace the fluid with AMSOIL ATF as soon as I can find somethng to pump the 21.4 qts with .
I also found and orderd a metal friction reducer additive which should arrive soon. Called IXL from lubricationproducts.com. I would like to limit the wear as soon and much as possible. I hate spending money or repairs instead of additional toys!!!

If anyone has used this I would like to hear about results.Edited by: Deadeye

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
21 quarts?

I know it is big, but thats HUGE!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
mannytranny said:
21 quarts?

I know it is big, but thats HUGE!

Yep
. I checked the Owners manual and could not believe it. I saw a post which lead to a site that showed all GM trannies. 6.0 liters.

Does this make sense? I was also thinking of changing the juice - to synth. very costly!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts