Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that it seems like you cannot get the ZF-6 with the newest duramax engine... does this mean the end of the ZF-6 in GM trucks??

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can get the ZF6 with the "newest" Duramax engine. What you don't get are the high output power numbers. Power is still stuck at 300hp and 520 ft-lbs of torque. This is because GM won't dump money into developing the DMF to hold more power since 98% of the trucks they sell get an Allison.
You're right that the end is near. Supposedly when the GMT-900 HD trucks come out as 08 models they will only be offered with the slushbox.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I will be very interested when the first LBZ comes out with a ZF and someone puts a SMF/DDC on and tests the power capability!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Let me get on my soapbox for a moment.

:rant: I have been driving a handshaker for over 30 years and do not plan on going to an automatic any time soon. Fortunatelly my Dmax is just getting broke in (I only have 140k+ miles:) ) so I will not be in the market for a new truck for quite some time.

But Censored , when I purchase a truck, I want what I want! If I want to shift my own gears then so be it!!! I sure in the Censored don't want to have to spend over $2k on an option for something I don't Censored want!!!! This really Censored pi$$es me off!!! I have owned GM for over 30 years, but if GM isn't going to offer a gear jammer in the GMT-900 HDs, then the clutch on my next truck may not be hanging from a GM product!!! :rant:

Ok...I feel better now!!!

MaxRock

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
guys dont lose faith yet. Not that this means anything, but so far I have not heard of the ZF6 going anywhere...GM is dumb about some things, but seriously I dont think theyd be dumb enough NOT to offer a manual in the GMT-900's

·
Registered
663 Posts
MaxRock, I only said "supposedly" the handshaker is going away. I have not received anything official straight from the General. That said, they only build around 10k Duramaxes a year with the ZF option. If I was a bean counter I would eliminate the option. No tranny, clutch, flywheel or shifter inventory to mess with. Also, only 1 PCM calibration to fool with. It's all a numbers game and unfortunately our brotherhood is in the minority.

That just makes us :cool2: because we're an exclusive group of GM owner/drivers.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
they keep raising the output of the engines like they are and we'll be seeing eaton fuller 8 speeds in thes trucks pretty soon LOL!

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Unfortunately I feel like MaxRock.I'm a diehard GM guy but I'll buy a Dodge if GM quits making manuels. Mine is also a long ways from trading time but I'd like a 6spd dually also.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
You can get the ZF6 with the "newest" Duramax engine. .

last I was told is you can't get the ZF in the newest duramax (LBZ), just in the "LLY"

·
Registered
129 Posts
GMT-900's?????
:help: What am I goig to do? I am about to order a 06 Dooley:ro) I want the LBZ and a hand shaker to go with it. I talked to my dealer and he said there it nothing he could do. Is there any way around it. I know
the new Ally has that (tap)up(tap) down deal going for it but its still not a hand shaker.
:blahblah:

What do you all think about this. What can I do?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Order the ZF with the LLY. Only difference is programming, and that can be made up in the aftermarket... I have ZERO regrets about my '06.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So its just the programing that gives the LBZ all that extra power? Would I be fine with the LLY, I Just dont want any Ford or Dodge to pass me on a hill. But as far as trannys go should I hold out and get the 6 speed?
I here the 6er will out run the ally on the hills.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I Just dont want any Ford or Dodge to pass me on a hill.
The only Fords passing you will probably be on a Duramax powered rollback.):h Before spending money on power boxes for your truck, buy an aftermarket clutch/flywheel kit. You'll be much happier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I see you guys talking about a gmt-900? what are ya talking abut what is it?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
MaxRock, I only said "supposedly" the handshaker is going away.
Unfortunately with the ZF not being availble with the LBZ, it looks like handwriting is on the wall. My only hope is with the GMT-900 coming out in the next year or so, the ZF will be available in that series of truck. I'm hoping GM didn't want to spend the resources to fix the Censored DMF/clutch/PP issues for a 1 year run and all will be well with the new platform!

Hey 05_LLY, I like your thinking. An 8 speed Eaton Fuller would reallly push the :cool2: factor up a notch or two. I think we all should start spreading this rumor and maybe GM will follow suit!

Ok..I'll admit it, I'm being extremely optimistic!!!! But one can wish...can't they?

MaxRock

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
I want the LBZ and a hand shaker to go with it. I talked to my dealer and he said there it nothing he could do. Is there any way around it. What do you all think about this. What can I do?
unfortunatly, nothing.

GM doesnt really have any incentive to fix the DMF because they sell so little of them each year. In order to offer the LBZ with it, they would have to put money, time, research to fix the DMF. Dont worry about it. You'll be happy with your 2006 LLY. Remember you're NOT GETTING A 2004.5-2005 LLY!! You're getting an LBZ with a different calibration in the ECM from what Ive heard...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see you guys talking about a gmt-900? what are ya talking abut what is it?
It's the new GM full-size truck platform designation. The current platform is designated as GMT-800.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now when does that platform change over to the GMT-900 what is going to be the difference?
:eek:fftopic: (DURAtotheMAX) "an LBZ with a different calibration in the ECM", can you elaborate some more on that for me? Thanks for all the input fellows;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Light duty trucks due out this fall, HDs and Duallys early 07.
Looks like the front end will copy the new tahoe and avalanche.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts