Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often wondered about the performance of my turbo, but had no way to verify the boost, until now, after installing the juice/attitude. According to my tach, I have to get above 1800 rpms before the boost gets off zero! IS THAT NORMAL? It will reach 18-20 while going thru the gears.......sometimes as high as 23.

I did a search and read of some launching at 15. That probably would require at least 2500-2800 rpms for me......which seems awful high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Like you said, that seems like an awful lot of rpm for boost. I know when I high idle my truck in park I usually see 2-3psi boost on my attitude.

·
Registered
193 Posts
your wastegate control could be failing or defective its also possible that the vacuum hose to it is diconnected or broken/leaking doubtful tha youhave a bad turbo since it does reach full boost any exhaust leaks? recc a banks big head wastegate control. check your boost gauge lines for leaks/breaks.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
You need load and exhaust heat/flow to build boost. My 2002 cruises with VERY low boost levels. I think you are just fine. Hook a load to it and see it come up...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Like you said, that seems like an awful lot of rpm for boost. I know when I high idle my truck in park I usually see 2-3psi boost on my attitude.
i dont think you should have any boost when your truck is just idleing

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your wastegate control could be failing or defective its also possible that the vacuum hose to it is diconnected or broken/leaking doubtful tha youhave a bad turbo since it does reach full boost any exhaust leaks? recc a banks big head wastegate control. check your boost gauge lines for leaks/breaks.
Is there any simple way to check the wastegate control without special equipment?

You need load and exhaust heat/flow to build boost. My 2002 cruises with VERY low boost levels. I think you are just fine. Hook a load to it and see it come up...
Thanks for the tip.......I will give it a try. I have little knowledge of these finer mechanical points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts