Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to get a diesel for my '89 1 ton dually. And I've read up about the 6.2 and heard bad things. Then I came here and found people who actually work on them and seem to know what they are talking about. So I figured what the hell.

I bought this '89 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 for $700. Looks like hell but runs like a champ. I'll be swapping the 6.2 into the dually and swapping the 454 into my Blazer. I'll sell the trans/t case and scrap the rest. And then sell the 350 that came in the Blazer so I should come close to breaking even.

So what's the first things I should do to it? The guy said he thinks it needs glow plugs how can I tell if they are bad? He mentioned turning the key on and letting it 'cycle'? This is my first diesel and I can't wait to tear into it. And if it blows up it's all of yours fault.:)

Here's the donor truck:

Here is what the 6.2 is going in:

And here is what the 454 is going in:

And then when that is done I can finish this!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would buy some new AC Delco 60G glow plugs, and put a manual pushbutton to control the glowplugs, but that's me. I have done this to all the 6.2/6.5 trucks I've owned and I just did it to my current '67 C-30 project.

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
what tranny is in the 6.2? because the diesel torque converter and valving is different. what happened to that poor brown truck? looks like it got raped by a snowplow.

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Well :welcome2: to the site and the world of the diesel addiction :D

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
what tranny is in the 6.2? because the diesel torque converter and valving is different. what happened to that poor brown truck? looks like it got raped by a snowplow.
X2 on the tranny. Depending on what you plan on doing with the truck I'd try to get an overdrive on to work with that dually, 4L80E maybe. From what I've heard the IDI diesels dont like to be run at high rpms a lot. They've served me well so far but all mine have an OD geared trans.

Good luck on the swaps looks like fun :D. Since you're gonna have it pulled out I'd recommend a turbo install, but that's just me I want like more power from mine *grunts like Tim Allen*

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will probably be the turbo 400 trans. I'd love to swap something else but funds are running low. The trans that is in the 'ugly' truck is a 700R. Can I just swap the converter/flexplate into the 400?

Apparently the truck got hit by a small car. The bed got hit by a dump truck axle. It's really ugly and the wife loves me more everyday!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been trying to get a diesel for my '89 1 ton dually. And I've read up about the 6.2 and heard bad things. Then I came here and found people who actually work on them and seem to know what they are talking about. So I figured what the hell.

I bought this '89 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 for $700. Looks like hell but runs like a champ. I'll be swapping the 6.2 into the dually and swapping the 454 into my Blazer. I'll sell the trans/t case and scrap the rest. And then sell the 350 that came in the Blazer so I should come close to breaking even.

So what's the first things I should do to it? The guy said he thinks it needs glow plugs how can I tell if they are bad? He mentioned turning the key on and letting it 'cycle'? This is my first diesel and I can't wait to tear into it. And if it blows up it's all of yours fault.:)

Here's the donor truck:

Here is what the 6.2 is going in:
Very nice. Good find for the donor, also. I say this because you should be able to swap whatever wiring / connectors you need and that cool "Diesel Fuel Only" cluster!:D

Most likely the donor is a "C" code engine, so you will prob want to find an unrestricted (J code) intake manifold and remove the EGR / EPR valves. Getting rid of those two things should help power a little. An overdrive tranny would be sweet, but you know, 3:73's with a TH400 aren't as bad as people think... 65 MPH is comfortable, if a little noisy. I don't push to 70 very much, though.

Good luck with the project!:cool:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
no, the 700r stuff won't match a th400. is it a 3 speed or 4 speed auto in the one ton and what year is it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo 400 in the dually and it's a '89.

Thanks for all the help. I love this board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick test for the glows. Take a test light attach the red clip to the battery +. Take the connector off the end of the glow plug. Touch the end point of the test light to the blade of the glow plug. If it lights it is good if it doesnt it is bad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So why wouldn't my turbo 400 bolt up to the 6.2? I know I'd have to swap the converter from the 6.2 but I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
it will work, the 700r parts don't match up. you'd want a TC for a diesel with a very low stall and a govenor for a diesel to get your shift points better. then you need a TPS on the IP that changes the vacuum output with throttle position to run the modulator right. the TPS for the 700r sends electronic signal for lock up TC and doesn't use a modulator

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I can't just use the converter from the 6.2? And what the hell is a TPS on the IP? The TPS is the throttle position sensor?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
yes ..TPS is the throttle position sensor.. if the 6.2 has a 700r behind it, as you stated, then nothing from it will interchange with a th400

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'd find a 5 speed getrag or similar. Swapping to a manual is kind of a pain but I think your 6.2 will do better in front of a stick.

You can also test the glow plugs for Ohms. Max is .02 or something like that.
Even if they tset good I always try to pull them and give them a visual every 2 years. If for no other reason than to apply anti-seez to the threads.
I pull them, give them a visual if there is anything visually wrong toss them and install a new one after you check it for continuity and apply the anti-seez.
For you application here I would check them for continuity while in the truck as they are to give you a better idea on your hard start

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not even the torque converter? Bare with me, I'm new to this!

Dumb question, can I convert the 700R 4wd trans to a 2wd trans? Isn't it just a different tailshaft and housing?

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Not even the torque converter? Bare with me, I'm new to this!

Dumb question, can I convert the 700R 4wd trans to a 2wd trans? Isn't it just a different tailshaft and housing?
Yes... not even the torque converter.....

It CAN be done.... but it's ALOT easier to just find a 2WD trans...... the ENTIRE transmission has to be disassembled to replace the tailshaft on the 700's........

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got it. It was an idea.

If I get another 700R can use the torque converter then?

Also what about the fuel tanks. Should I just swap them? And the fuel lines themselves?

Thanks again for putting up with my stupid questions. I can't to get it all done!

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Got it. It was an idea.

If I get another 700R can use the torque converter then?
It depends....... if both transmissions are pre-'86 or both '87+ then yes....... (have to make sure the input shaft spline count is the same on both)

Also what about the fuel tanks. Should I just swap them? And the fuel lines themselves?

Thanks again for putting up with my stupid questions. I can't to get it all done!
I would just completely drain both the tank and lines and just reuse them....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts