Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I have a question regarding the High Idle.

I hooked it up today and it works well. I have the factory PTO switch installed and I do not need to turn on the cruise control to get it to work I just turn the PTO switch to on and then to set and the idle goes up to 1250. All Good.

If I turn the cruise on and hit set it will go to 1250 or if I hit resume it will go up to 1700 but the PTO switch needs to be on.

My question is regarding remote start aux buttons to kick up the high idle. I see Max Power posted about tapping into the blue wire for the cruise on the bottom of the column and supplying a + pulse to switch it on. I was wondering if I can do the same thing with one of the wires behind my PTO switch. I would imagine I could but I'm not sure which wire and if it's a + or - pulse.

Do you know of any easy ways of finding out?

Thx for any help Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
408 Posts
what!!!!!!! you must live next door to me

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About a mile from Huntington Center

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Because you did not use the brake switch method, you will need 2 relays. One to put power to the wire that goes to the pcm and one to pulse the set button. Both are positive. You can get both of these wires at the pto switch that you installed.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max Power you are the man I knew you would come through.

I was thinking I could leave the PTO switch on when I shut the truck off at night so when it restarts in the morning all I would have to do is pulse the set wire.

I was thinking to just use a test light on the wires behind the switch and see which one gets powered when I hit the set position.

Does that sound about right or will that damage something?

Thx for your help Diesel Dragon

P.S. I had rice crispies this morning and they told me not to be lazy and go install my high idle. So I did. LOL

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You should be safe with a test light but you should probably use a digital multi meter to be on the safe side.

Good luck remembering to turn the switch on ever night.

Always listen to your rice crispies!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Diesel Dragon, how did you install the wires at the switch? I got my switch in with a wiring harness and a plug for the back of the switch, but don't know in what order the wires go into the plug for the switch. Edited by: BukWild

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi BukWild

If your talking about the factory PTO switch, The wiring harness that came with it is not used. Thats only used if you have a real PTO to install on the tranny. It would plug into a unused connector that's sitting on top of the tranny and tie into the PTO. So you can put it aside.

The plug you want to use is already installed in the truck behind the panel where the new switch will be installed.
I looked for 15 minutes back there to find the wires and plug and it turned out to be taped right to the air bag switch wires. They taped over the plug so the bunch of wires looked like they all went to the air bag switch to me.
But its right there and plugs right into the PTO switch.

All you have to do then is run a new wire from the computer under the hood to the empty connector thats under the fuse box cover under the hood also about 1' of wire or so. It gets tied into the green wire on the connector the other 3 wires there aren't used.

Then the PTO switch will give you the 1250 rpm when you put it to set.
You dont need to turn the cruise on but you Can also still use the cruise switch to get 1250 or 1700 rpm.

While your at the computer hooking up the wire you might as well put another wire for the second alternator if you want. I did that way I wont have to open the computer up again later on if I add the second alternator. And I will.

Good Luck. If you have any more questions let me know I'll be gald to help

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you find them Buk?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I found the connector for the switch in the dash, no problem thanks to your help! Which wire coming from the computer do I connect? Edited by: BukWild

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which end of the wire do you need to hook up, the computer side or the connector side that goes to the green wire, or both?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buk wild

If you ever get a remote start for your truck you can have the installer tap into the DARK BLUE wire behind the PTO switch and have the remote feed it with a + pulse trigger and as long as your PTO is turned to the on position the idle will bump up to 1250 rpm.

Great to get the heater working quicker or the AC to cool the truck off

Diesel Dragon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts