Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of pics of my OEM fuel filter. It has 10K total miles, of which about 6.5K are from highway miles (thus a large variety of fuel sources). At just over 5K miles I added the Nictane Cat system. Looks like it had a decent amount of life left...

·
Registered
994 Posts
This filter had a lot of useful life left on it. You could have probably gone another 10K miles. You don't know though until it is cut open for the first time.

What did the inside of the filter can look like? Any significant signs of rust or just a little bit of sediment.

The only way that I know of to determine when a filter (or filters) might need to be changed is to measure the suction at the fuel test port with the Kent-Moore Vacuum-Pressure gauge.

The trend appears to be 10K miles with the Pre-OEM supplemental and 20K with the OEM filter (for a two filter system)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmmm... Colorado Springs....wanna drive to Boulder and show me how to put mine on today?

Jess

·
Registered
994 Posts
Eric,

In the pictures you show above, was the OEM the first filter in the fuel system? (ie. there was not a Pre-OEM filter)? (I suspect that is the case)

In the pictures that CS-DMAX has shown above, he has the CAT Pre-OEM. Thus it is a Pre-filter to the OEM. The OEM should be able to go longer than the 15K recommended OEM change interval in this case.

Now another question to ponder,,, how long will the Baldwin Mega filter last in a Post-OEM position?

Alan

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The pics I posted above are both from non pre filtered trucks, The top pic is from my truck when I did the change for the how to article, the bottom is from a customers truck

I have a MEGA filter mounted post on mine, the cust below now has a Racor pre filter on his.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jesshd said:
Hmmmm... Colorado Springs....wanna drive to Boulder and show me how to put mine on today?

jesshd,

I can't today...got a bit of a honey do list to get through
. But, if you want help putting it on if you want to come down to the Springs next weekend I would be happy to give you a hand. PM me if you want to set something up.

John

·
Registered
238 Posts
Was just teasing guy, but appreciate the offer!

Jess

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ok here's another slew of pics I have to add. My Oem was changed around 2 months ago at 13,100. The secondary Cat was changed today with 8800+ miles on it.

As you can see the Cat secondary, had a lot of life left to it. If you look at the third picture you'll also see some banding going on. I keep my filter head at a slight tilt to alleviate my air issues. I'm not sure what the filters are telling me, but I have to admit I'd rather see the filters filling up evenly. Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
38 Posts
Victery Red

Is your cat filter before or after the stock filter? Is your stock filter canister rusted or clean? Where did you mount the cat filter as I am wanting to add a secondary filter but want a good clean easy to access and out of sight[as best as I can get it] place to put it so the dealer wont have a easy way of seeing it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
BennyBoy,

I am in a post oem position. The inside of the OEM cannister was free of rust. As I've seen other photos with pics of filters with similiar mileage, I tend to think I'm buying cleaner fuel than some. Also my secondary is mounted right to the pan that holds the airbox in place. You can't really see it unless you are looking for it. Now if it was up on a hoist, or the hood was popped you would see the extra lines being run. No real way to hide it, but in a pinch or should I need to, I could restore to stock condition within 30 mins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts