Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first Cel this morning...
It was -2 this morning and windy overnight and i started it up and let it run 8-10mins before i left. Got in it, drove out made it about 1/2mile and boom power dropped off and got the cel. Put it in N, back into drive and was fine the next 8-9 miles to work...Wasnt sure what i was looking at, but figure worry bout it after work..
Then it sat for the next 8.5 hrs. Came out started it and let it idle for only a couple mins then took off. Back out about 20 ft put it in D, started moving, and boom lost all power. It surged on and off(go til it hit 2k rpm then fall off) for about 500ft til i got to a fire hall. Drove it around and seemed fine...Back out i go, boom fell on its face.
Got going again and now it would only got about 30 or 2k rpm. I left off the accelerator a touch and it shifted fine til i got to the next corner. then it the first set of shifts it feel on its face, then it again came back around after a bit and was fine after that the next 15mins to the dealer...This did seem like gelled fuel,but the truck never stumbled or stalled. I started and shut it off a couple times this afternoon when it acted up, and fired right up.
The dealer pulled off a P2563 code. The dealer said it was something to do w/high or low boost issue (dont remember) but looked it up here and it says its Turbocharger Vane Control Position Sensor Performance.. They said theirs a solenoid that goes bad...
They also pulled up a low fuel pressure code, but i couldnt get the #... The serivce manage says gelled fuel caused it, the tech said the turbo malfunction caused it...
Reading on here about the issues many were facing w/the grille cover and block heater, i hadnt planned to do either. I plugged my lb7 in, but never ran the covers w/no issues and no gels down to -20. Service manager told me to put the damn grille cover on and thatll help...:rolleyes:

After i got to thinking about it, i was wondering if this turbo solenoid could be paired w/a odd tranny issue ive noticed. See here
http://http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131429...
Someone mentioned that it sounds like the boost coming on. If i was having issues w/this solenoid sticking or malfuncitoning, then all of a sudden it straighten out would that explain my power surge? Or is this turbo thingie something that sets the cel immediatly when it senses troubles?
Is this a possiblilty or did i just make self look stupid?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If it is cold out put the winter front on. It helps mileage alot and it is easier on your motor. Notice how your temp gauge is always cycling with it off.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Just put the grille cover on. It was -20 here and I have yet to put on the bumper cover.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did put the grille cover on last night, when it was in at the dealer. Ill never put the bumper cover on...
But is it really possible that running the grille cover wouldve prevented the turbo code? I kinda doubt it, but maybe
Buddy yesterday got a MAP code yesterday as well, some ice got in the sensor... Dealer said winter cover might have prevented it(his truck didnt have one)
Anyways in both cases we hadnt driven even a 1/2mile before the light came on. No way is the engine cover going to make up enough heat that quick to negate freezing issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts