Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 LML - Any ideas on what this leak could be? Fluid is brownish in color to the eye. Wiped it clean with a napkin and it’s yellow when wiped off. It’s completely odorless and oily to the touch. Hasn’t dripped too bad overnight but definitely enough to notice on some cardboard, have found drops of it in several spots on passenger side. Not sure if this could be related but just had lower oil gasket replaced due to leak. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure it’s not coolant.. doesn’t have the reddish tint you’d expect or the smell. Temp is normal and it’s running fine. I’ve looked for an hour or so and can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from. As you can see in the pics it’s in several spots all down the passenger side

·
Registered
96 Posts
In your pics it looks brownish, and the coolant res is right above area where you see it. Coolant will feel slick, put a bit on tip of your tongue, if it's sweet it's antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
In your pics it looks brownish, and the coolant res is right above area where you see it. Coolant will feel slick, put a bit on tip of your tongue, if it's sweet it's antifreeze.
most antifreeze sold today has a very very strong bittering agent. you will know when you taste it. However I wonder if the fluid is water coming out of the AC drain vent, then picking up dirt etc. as it runs down before it drops on the ground.

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

If it's on the passenger side then check your fuel filter, housing, and lines for fuel leaks
The fuel filter may be loose, the housing may have a crack, or you have a line that is dry rotted and cracked, etc..

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to DieselPlace

If it's on the passenger side then check your fuel filter, housing, and lines for fuel leaks
The fuel filter may be loose, the housing may have a crack, or you have a line that is dry rotted and cracked, etc..
Thanks for the reply. Put some on the end of my tongue, and it tasted almost like hot sauce. Burned for a few seconds with a bitter after taste.I removed the passenger front fender liner and think I found what’s going on. Fuel filter appears to be leaking. Could the fuel be passing down the truck and collecting debris / rust preventative causing it to turn the amber color? Dabbed the filter with a napkin and it’s the same yellow color as the fluid that’s been on the frame. Also noticed some fuel pooling up on top of the housing. Here’s the pics of what’s going on. Any ideas how to repair and how much?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
looks like the WIF plug may be loose or cross threaded. On our son's 2004.5 LLY the plug came loose, he unplugged it then tightened it and leak stopped. It took about 5K miles before it started to leak.

·
Administrator
15,971 Posts
The pics you provided show fuel is leaking down the side of the filter.
Start by replacing the fuel filter AC Delco TP3018
Here is a "How to" video that shows you the steps to changing the filter yourself and save some money

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
it looks to me like the WIF plug is cross threaded. If so that could be the source of the leak.

Reactions: CntrlCalDmax
1 - 10 of 10 Posts