Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

My front A arms seem to rest on the yellow bump stops. Is this normal? I'm used to bump stops being further away from the suspension. thanks

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I agree there should be some daylight in there.. this topic has come up a few times and I notice more and more (now that I look) that this seems typical.

Eric

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Noticed that mine are resting on them also

Geno

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine too, but the 6"-8" lift kit sitting in the garage floor is about to remedy that problem!
Edited by: NVRENUF

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine were still sitting on them even after I raised the front 3/4", so I trimmed them just enough so they wouldn't tough at static ride height.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Arent the "bump stops" not bump stops at all but a dampner to help the t bars or something like that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When I adjusted my torsion bars to the factory"Z" height specs ,I ended up with about 1/8" to 1/4" clearance on the bump stops, & improved the ride a little too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When my truck was new 1 month ago there was 1/4 inch above the bump stops now at 1200 miles there is a slight presure on them. The same on all my last 6 trucks in last 3 years. David

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
GM redesigned the front suspension for the HD's. That is something new. The old C/K's had a lot of air between the bumpstops and the control arm. I believe the new design helps soften the ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that a torsion bar has the same rate all the way through it's travel. Coils or leaf springs can be made so that the rate is progressive. If that's the case then maybe the bumpstops actually are intended to add to the rate as the suspension colapses.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
cwolfe said:
Arent the "bump stops" not bump stops at all but a dampner to help the t bars or something like that.

and the winner is......

CWolfe gets the prize, did alittle digging and thats the answer I come up with to.

Eric

·
Registered
540 Posts
So it's okay for the truck to sit on them and raising thhe truck off the stops defeats the purpose??

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
yup.....t bars arnt progressive. probably why some say they get a harsh ride hafter cranking them.....instead of resting on the stops the truck kinda comes crashing down on em and then they start to do thier job. Sitting off em a little bit probly dont do much harm to the ride I wouldnt think??? Just my theory any way.....we could test it I suppose with a cranked "harsh riding truck" and throw some spacers in it between the bumpstops and the frame.

When I ditched my factory yellows in favor of timbrens I found that they were kinda squishy, you can push in a bit with your thumb. Timbrens are harder but dont really affect the ride that I can tell.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
cwolfe said:

and the winner is......

CWolfe gets the prize, did alittle digging and thats the answer I come up with to.

Eric
True....

The real bump stops are solid metal.
I found out the hard way that there are no stops for upward travel.....

Edited by: hoot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts