Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this forum has the ability to upload pictures to it, I was hoping that everyone who has different flavors of aux fuel filters could post a couple pictures and a few details of their setup. I am trying to decide which way I want to go but have a hard time finding the pictures through peoples signatures to make comparisons. I hope I am not asking too much
Thanks in advance! I hope this helps everyone out who is trying to decide what they should do.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Racor 690R2 post OEM mounted in passenger wheel well...

PICTURES

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hoot:

Why the R90 and not the R60? I was looking to the R60 over the R90 since the length of the R60 is one inch less. Also the flow rates for the R60 are acceptable. Is there something about the R90 that really separates it from the R60??

Later....

·
Registered
939 Posts
I went with Nick's Cat setup. It is mounted Pre OEM in front of the left rear fender well. Only had it on for a 1,000 miles, but fear I may have been too late to stop these injectors from getting beat up too bad.... I go to the dealer this afternoon so the DMAX tech can listen to this nasty idle knock my truck has had for the past month or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone have an online source for the pre-oem Cat setup?

I've tried my local Cat dealer and they ain't easy to work with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just finished my pre OEM fuel filter bracket for my Racor 660. It is almost like Nicks set up but a little different. I went with the Racor because it had a heater option.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My Racor 660 set-up mounted on the frame rail Pre-OEM. I have removed the stock fuel line with the two quick disconnects and connected the supplemental filter in place of this fuel line. No cutting of fuel lines necessary. Easy to restore to a stock factory condition if required.

JMPDMAX - either the R60S or R90S element will work. The R90S is an inch longer and flows a little more. No biggie, since the flow rate on the OEM is only 48 gph anyway. Go with which ever one you can get the best deal and and fits your application.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Cat POST Oem, running the smaller 750 right now though. Just a little over 8000 on it right now. I'll probably change it out next oil change at around 9500 and replace it with the 749. I've never seen Nicks install setup, but it's quite popular. I have seen the Mega and the Racor by Landuyt.

All 3 of these options are way above and beyond the basic OEM. I also believe the Cat's are the cheapest to replace elements, followed by the Racor than the Baldwin.

Availability of replacements and ease of install should be your main concerns though since all of these will run at least as long as the 15,000 OEM(if not a little longer).

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
flhrciblueice: Go with the Nicktane and don't mess with trying to part it out yourself. That is what I did, and it was a nightmare. First of all, it does not come with the bleeder plug, or the primer pump cover. The fittiings are special, they are not to be found at hardware or autoparts stores. (At least around "here".) Good luck finding 7/16" fuel line, it is not standard either. I was able to get everything, but it was a real PITA!

Save yourself a lot of grief and time, GET THE NICKTANE!!!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree Pick. I was posting the link for DalDMax.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
JMPDMax said:
Hoot:

Why the R90 and not the R60? I was looking to the R60 over the R90 since the length of the R60 is one inch less. Also the flow rates for the R60 are acceptable. Is there something about the R90 that really separates it from the R60??

Later....
The 90 is a bigger cartridge and it fits. I've heard the term bigger is better too many times.

No lift pump... no problems. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
446 Posts
<DIV>Just finished installing my pre OEM Racor 660.
Now I can be assured that my Dmax is getting the cleaner fuel is deserves.
I just need a relay to finish the installation of the heater, maybe tomorrow. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I would like to thank everyone that has vested their time, money and efforts into this secondary filtering issue. Without you guys a lot of us would probably still have dirty fuel going through our injectors. I feel sorry for those who do not take advantage of forums like these to help them self's save in the long run.
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>
</DIV>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice job on the Racor DA. The Racor has the heater and water separator that the CAT does not. Maybe you should make some brackets :). Ordered the Nicktane today. Hope to have it on before the warm weather here gets colder. Has been in the 80's here in Colorado. It was butt cold when I was in Sydney last week. (OZ that is.)

Jess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts