Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting togather a maint schedule to help all of us keep our truck in tip top shape. I have it mostly completed but would like to gather any input you all may have on commonly overlooked items. I amnot talking about the stuff we all know and do.. but things that often get overlooked like weahter strip maint.

Eric

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Check lug nuts, tire pressure (spare tire pressure). Shampoo your motor!

That kind of stuff?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
add fuel
, add fuel additive, check rear-end breather tube (mine came loose and was rubbing on driveline)..

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Eric, too bad you weren't writing one of these for older dodges. I would love to show people my patented 'door adjuster'

·
Registered
238 Posts
Where do you find the time and motivation? Good on ya mate!

Jess

·
Registered
53 Posts
The way you are using "ya'll" looks like you have been hanging around me to much!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Eric

So you're saying lubing the weather stripping every other month. Changing the power steering fluid and brake fluid once a year.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Spray the fuel cooler from accumilation of leaves and crud .....

Buff tailpipe and drive ....

Mac

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerry, I actually thinking of you when I wrote the topic! Man, my list isnt even out yet! You guys are good

·
Registered
365 Posts
Summarize with......

Before truck is out of warranty pull to top of launching ramp. Place truck in neutral, release parking brake ... walk away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wish there were grease fittings in the "U" Joints, all 16 of them LOL

Regarding Airline Preventative Maintenance programs where parts are replaced based on hours of service and end up getting replaced long before they fail (this is a good thing by the way), what is the expected life of the 'U" joints anyway and when should we repalce them. Is it still like the old days and wait until you can "hear" them or when you get that sudden lurch and banging noise. LOL

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is a listing of my sheet for doing things at oil change time.

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 6.15in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 155pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid" vAlign=top width=207>
2001 Silverado Turbo Diesel</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 93.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=125>
Mileage:</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 93.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=125>
Hours:</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 1.4in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=134>
Date:</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 55.45pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid" vAlign=top width=74>
Replaced</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 52.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=70>
Checked</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 334.55pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=446>
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 55.45pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=74>
</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 52.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=70>
NA</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BOR

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for a website where it would tell you what service items were coming up, remind you of the part numbers. Perhaps it could even send you e-mail reminders.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good ideas guys, I will come up with some packages including all needed for certain services and as you all know by now, my prices are hard to beat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ag4gt,

I thought the cooler by the gas tank was a fuel cooler not a transmission cooler.

It sucks I want to use the mygmlink site but they haven't added the 2004 2500HD yet. I even wrote them but they basicly told me it will be added when it is added.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I find www.mygmlink.com to be a pain in the neck. They have a set service schedule and if you do things early, it still reminds you later to do it - even when it's already done. Then, you can't clear something from the service schedule without completing it and then deleting it. Plus, they have the oil change interval preset at 3,000 miles. It's very user unfriendly!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts