Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my truck, the wife-to-be and I decided that the XM option was something that we would not need as we are getting the 6 CD disc player. Well, she just found out that you can receive a "comedy channel" on the XM and now we have to get it. I have read the threads on the XM and most seem to like it. I am going to call the dealer on Monday if we decide to get the stock XM. Question is, does anyone think the stock XM is better than an aftermarket receiver and adapter? Edited by: SonnyBear

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It is a much cleaner look .... This same look can be aquired aftermarket with an aftermarket head unit,if it's to late at your dealer ...

Mac

·
Registered
570 Posts
SonnyBear,

My boss has the Caddy EXT and added the XM unit by Pioneer that is FM modulated. It's small to hide and works great. I to had been thinking if I should add it to my order as well.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I argued with my wife on this when we got our Tahoe, she did not want it, I did..her truck, no XM.

I added it my 2002 crew cab and finally went with the Delphi Roady,

I would have liked the clean factory look as it is warrantied then as well.

If you price a pioneer xm tuner, cable and roof antenna and then factor installation it will cost ya more and not be as good IMHO.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did not order XM from factory.I convinced myself I would never pay for radio!!Well yesterday I installed the Delphi SkyFi unit in my truck.It is fm modulated which I guess you lose some quality of sound.The antenna is much smaller then factory.I wanted this unit because now I am able to have XM in the house the truck and the boat for 10.00 bucks a month.I also like having the ability to search channels by catergories.I am not sure the factory unit can do this?It did take me awhile to mount the rather large display but I think I have found a place to where it is not in the way and still have access to it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a new generation chip set out. As far as I know there are only two receivers that have been released using it, the XM Commander and the Delphi Roady. With the Commander, you can preview what is playing on the next channel while listening to the previous channel. The channel changes in less than a second as opposed to 2-3 seconds with some of the other receivers. I understand the Roady does the same thing. Most radios only display 8 characters of the song or artist. The commander displays 16 characters (limited by xm broadcasting). You can display the any two of the song, artist or channel at the same time. It has pre outs and a FM modulator.

It fit perfect in my overhead console blank spot.

I’d get the OEM XM if I was buying a new truck for the control features.

Adding to an existing truck I’d pick the XM commander. If I was considering moving it car to car or to home, I’d have to look closer to the Roady!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
The Roady does allow for browsing while listening to another channel, you have to select another while browsing.

It also has 7 different display colors, an adjustable audio output level, 30 presets on an A,B,C preset or direct tune.

It is smaller than the Delphi Ski-FI and costs less.

Up until Dec. 31st if you bought a Roady from Nov 21-Dec 31 you got a free home kit as well.

That free home kit sealed my decision for me.

You get the cassette adapter with it and a tiny roof antenna that is magnetic. I have tried it with the cassette adapter and the sound is very clear, in fact much better bass output then the FM Modulator gives.

I still want a factory style direct connection to my stock head unit. I think I have found a cable but am still researching it.

Overall it's great especially the COMEDY CHANNEL 150.........

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the XM radio along with the subscription I decided to go for the premium chanel too.
The extra chanel is a waste most of the time.
My only complaint is I can not listen to XM unless I am in my truck. I like the fact that I can use the steering wheel controls to control my stereo and find myself in other vehicles looking for them, how quickly we become spoiled.

If I was going to do it again I want the ability to move it form one vehicle to another (Boat, TT, House, Wife's truck, and my truck for the $13.00) but for now I will just drive my truck more.

Perhaps in the future I will be able to add an aftermarket XM box to my truck and use the stock accessories and take it with me too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts