Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has XM Radio? I have it, and I sort of want to get rid of it. For those who have tried both, is Sirius any better than XM? I also heard that Howard Stern is now on Sirius.:cool:

·
Registered
9,642 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have XM. Have had it for 3 years. In the house, my truck, my car and wife's Heep.

We love it. Great for all around music choices, plus we get all the college football / basketball coverage when traveling.

I'm not a fan of Howard Stern's talkshow (although I think he's a brilliant guy and very talented marketeer), so I can't see the benefit of Sirius. To each his own though....

:blahblah:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ditto what OBXTucker says.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another XM Fan here. I've had it for about a year now, and just installed my wife's christmas gift in her car 3 weeks ago.

Oh, BTW - Opie and Anthony > Stern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have both. XM in the dually and sirius in my wife's Expediton.
Both came installed from the factory. There are more choices on XM than there are on Sirius. We enjoy both of them. the antena on the sirius system is not installed as nice as the xm system was.
my opinion they are both great.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Love my XM. Hate Howard. :) Usta like him way back in the day. In fact, he got his start right here in my area 'til he got fired. XM in 2 trucks 1 car, mini-van and Harley!

·
Registered
142 Posts
What I like about XM is that I can listen to it at work on my pc when I'm out of my truck..

Mike

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Who here has XM Radio? I have it, and I sort of want to get rid of it. For those who have tried both, is Sirius any better than XM? I also heard that Howard Stern is now on Sirius.:cool:
It depends on your tastes. I have neither and if I had to choose, I'd go XM. Just my tastes.

Oh No! What have I started... Another XM vs. Sirius battle thread! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here is what I wrote on another forum regarding XM and Sirius.

I have been a Sirius Subscriber for about 2 years, the new Truck that I picked up on Tuesday has XM built in and after a few days I am really missing my Sirius Subscription.

I listen to 95% Rock music and a little HipHop/Rap, No Country, No Blues, No Classical, No Talk Radio, No Sports. If you don't listen to Rock or Hiphop/Rap then disregard my review as it won't apply. I can't tell you how those stations are as I'm not a fan of that genre of music or talk radio.

The debates go back and forth over which is better and each has a typical argument against the other.

XM Subscribers like to say that Sirius repeats a lot of music and doesn't play anything but the hits and Sirius Subscribers like to say that XM plays a lot of deep obscure tracks that nobody has ever heard.

I think both statements are actually very correct and not really a bad thing depending on what you like to listen too. Sirius does repeat songs more often than XM does but its not like they play the song song every hour like on FM. The Majority of songs you hear on Sirius are songs that you have heard before and people riding in the car with you will know.

I find on XM that most of the stations are playing songs I have never heard, I mean you need to hear songs you don't know if you want new music but its like this on almost every station and I find myself constantly on the seek button looking for something familar. XM has a station called Top Tracks which is supposed to be "Nothing but the Big Ones". I dunno what chart they are pulling top tracks from but I heard a lot of stuff I didn't know.

For example, If you listen to the 80s Station on Sirius you hear all the 80s music that you would remember being played on the Radio during the 80s from all the big 80s singers and bands. Songs you could stand up and do Kariokie too if you were drunk, If you listen to the 80s on XM you hear a lot music that was made in the 80s but wasn't on the radio all that often (probably for good reason) and you'll probably be wondering "who the hell is this?". That is of course unless your huge into Music and owned everything from the 80s. For the average listener I think Sirius is a better choice.

Just out of coincidence my brother called me this morning, he is up in Vermont Skiing with some friends and was telling me they took his buddies Escalade up there. He was asking me about my truck and how I liked XM so far, I told him basically what I posted above and he said he didn't like it either. His buddy has it in the Caddy and they kept trying to find stations with songs they knew. My Brother has Sirius and said its not even comparable.

I'm not trying to Bash XM, its just not for me. If your the type of person that is into obscure B side type music then you will probably love XM. They play bands that you know but songs you probably have never heard unless your a huge fan and own every album.

For a reference point, here are the stations I have been listening too on both XM and Sirius.

XM

8 - The 80s
9 - The 90s
41 - Boneyard
44 - Fred
47 - Ethel
54 - Lucy
65 - The Rhyme
67 - The City

Sirius

8 - The Big 80s
9 - The Pulse (90s and Todays)
19 - Buzzsaw
20 - Octane
21 - Alt Nation
22 - First Wave
23 - Hair Nation
34 - Boombox
43 - Backspin

It seems that XM doesn't have nearly the selection or "station specific" rock stations that Sirius does. When I was looking into Sat radio 2 years ago It looked like Sirius was for people that enjoy Rock and Roll and XM was for people more into Country or other types. I still think this is true, I feel I made the right choice for what I like. If your contemplating getting Sat radio and haven't made up your mind they are both MILES ahead of FM radio with no Commercials but you need to make sure you check out each service for the type of music that YOU like.

I will be ordering the GM Sirius Adapter and selling the XM module on ebay. At least now I can say I made a fair observation and I decided that Sirius is for me.

The Hobbs meter on the truck says 11.3 hours, it had 1.2 on it when I bought it so I have roughly 10 hours of XM listening in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Never tried XM, but LOVE sirius. HUGE Howard fan too. Even the G/F is a HUGE howad fan now too. She loves Sirius as well.

I think you should ask age of people replying to this thread as well. Maybe age makes a difference. It's hard to say if I like it, you will too.

For the record......I'm 31

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would have to say that I agree completely with TTA89's assessement of the difference between XM and Sirius.

I currently have XM, but am switching over to Sirius specificially for the better (in my opinion) rock options. While I couldn't care less about Howard, I would like to hear rock and roll songs that I've heard before. I'm 38 and have a pretty extensive collection of rock and roll from the 80s and early 90s but I find myself constantly searching XM stations for a song I actually know.

XM has decent country and jazz/blues selections and I have enjoyed listening to them, but rock is my first choice. Also for me the fact that Sirius has SEC sports, has Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and will have Nascar makes the switch a done deal.

I was waiting for the new Sirius SIRGM1 plug and play, but if they don't release that in March then I'm just going with the soudgate + receiver.

·
Registered
543 Posts
XM fan here... Have the truck, car and PC covered.... Love Opie and Anthony (channel 202)....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts