Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thanks to all the guys that have posted on the other XM thread and explained all this in a sort of round about way.

I am trying to decipher all the posts to install XM in my 2003 Tahoe with the bose system and cd changer. I am trying to decide between the XM commander and a soundgate OEM installation. I have a few questions about the installation of the OEM.

If I was going to install it OEM style I will need the following:

1. Pioneer 910 XM tuner

2. P10GM1V2

3. XM Antennae of some sort

Here are my questions:

1. Is this all that is needed?

2. Will this allow me to use the steering wheel controls to go to presets as well as tune to channels with the seek buttons?

3. Why are there 2 XM bands? Is this so you can have 12 presets?

4. Are the installation instructions easy enough to understand for a self installation? My biggest question is the correct wiring and the RAP which was being figured out at this time on the other thread.

5. Is the text on the radio only the channel or will it scroll through the song, artist and description like it says on the soundgate website?

Thanks for all your help and this is the most informative forum about this subject I have found.

The price differential is negligible if the XM installed costs 270 (in my quote from Best Buy) and the pioneer 910 costs ~100, the P10gm1v2 is ~100 and antenna is ~50.

Travis

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
1) Yes

2)Yes, to move up or down channels. Yes to seek. I don't know how to move up and down with regard to presets, tell me how and I'll test it.

3)There is XM1 and XM2. Presumably to allow 12 presets. However I find the presets cross over from XM1 to XM2. So currently only 6. I'll find out more about this on Monday. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

4) Yes, I have my 910 and Soundgate power wires piggy backed into the power leads of my cigarette lighter. Sound is retained when the engine is turned off. Sometimes the sound goes off for 2-3 seconds right when the engine is turned off and then comes back on.

5) It displays the first eight characters of the channel or the artist or the song. You may toggle through them by pushing the button in the middle of your tuning knob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your help trippin,

You can change presets by hitting the prog button on the left side of the steering wheel. It goes insequential order up but not down.

Also, if the power is piggy backed to the cigarette lighter it is on constantly? Is this a problem potentially or is there a way to connect it to RAP?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Selecting presets from the steering wheel does not work. And only 6 presets work. XM1 and XM2 use the same presets.

The Pioneer tuner and the Soundgate adapter both require a constant 12 volts. I'm thinking its a very low amperage memory kinda thing, kinda like some aftermarket head units requiring a switched 12v and a constant 12v, whereas the RAP kills power after a certain amount of time.

I still have both a Pioneer 900 and 910 and when either one is disconnected for a period of time it takes a while for them to recognize XM again. Meaning they first power up as if they are not activated.

RAP seems to be controlled through the IP-Bus In/Out. As I said before when the ignition is turned off sometimes the sound will go off for 2-3 seconds and then come back on and play for the duration of RAP. I'm still investigating this phenomenon. Perhaps if I go directly to the battery this might be cured. I have a business trip all next week but I'll try it when I get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts