Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search, but I'm having trouble finding the answer to this... what's the difference between the "XM Direct for GM factory radios" and the "Factory XM Upgrade" various resellers are offering?

You can see them both here:
http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=676

The both claim to work with the factory controls. One has a magenetic antenna, one you must (ugh) drill. XM Direct seems to come with a "tuner" too, but I'm not sure exactly what that means in relation to the install and factory control operation.

Big price difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks to me like the XM direct is more of a universal type installation for select GM vehicles, while the "Factory XM Upgrade" is a more vehicle specific OEM style. Both have thier place I guess, if you plan on upgrading to another head unit later, then the XM direct would most likley be the best choice, but if you are happy with your current setup, and just want to add XM with the factory type installation, then the Factory upgrade would be the proper choice.

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "generic" one is $150 cheaper though, than the GM XM Factory upgrade.
Seems like it should be the other way around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
While it may be universal to the vehicle, it isn't generic as it is sporting the official XM logo, hence the price.

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got the Xm Direct and I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem I seem to have is that sometimes when using the steering wheel controls the reciever doesn't react right. When you control it through the head unit there are no problems. Example: switching sources from XM1 to XM2 and back to XM1 when you scroll through your presets the unit is still on XM2 for the source and will cycle through the presets on XM2. And occasionally when you park and shut down the radio will jump to the next station on the preset. Granted this is not all the time so I just generally live with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts