Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the Delphi Roady XM unit at Best Buy when I was in Topeks, KS on Friday. $119 bucks complete. Love that XM Comedy 150.

We'll see how it works out east later this week. Went from Wausau, WI to West Palm Beach, FL to Pompano Beach, FL to west of Toledo, OH to Fostoria, OH to Fondulac, WI ti Neenah, WI to Topeka, KS to Topeka, KS to Wood Dale, IL (Chicago) to Alsip, IL (Chicago) to Windsor, WI to Wausau, WI. 5100 miles in 11 days. XM will save some of the boring drives.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
812 Posts
Maverick, I have been looking at the same model and have a few ?'s. Did you have to buy the vehicle kit, does it play on FM or through a cassette? I don't have a cassette player.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

XM is awesome .... I picked up the Delphi unit with Fm Modulator .... I installed it in my crasher for now and will just buy another docking station and antenna for the Dually .... I was going to try one of them thru the glass type antenna for the truck and go direct RCA connections instead of FM modulator ,I hope, also ...

I agree Mav with channel 150 it's the best ....Puts a whole different perspective into driving ,laughter ....

Mac

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
aketay said:
Maverick, I have been looking at the same model and have a few ?'s. Did you have to buy the vehicle kit, does it play on FM or through a cassette? I don't have a cassette player.

You need a car kit with a FM modulator .... You tune your stereo to a specific channel along with the necessary easy connections and your golden ...

Mac

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check out the XMcommander as well. The Roady is a nice unit. I like its size compared to the SKI-FI. I think it is better than the commander if you are going to move it vehicle to vehicle. The commander makes for a cleaner "factory look" install if you are willing to leave it permanent. If you have a 03-04 there is another thread that has one that connected to the factory radio buss. It can then be controlled by the steering wheel controls. My old truck is going to get the XMCommander as soon as I get my Christmas present. It should fit the overhead console pocket perfect. I’m bargaining now for an early release! “But Honey, if you give it to me now I can install it before it gets too cold out.” “I promise I won’t activate it until Christmas Day” “It can be all installed and ready to go for the Christmas Trips”

The XPCommander is a new generation receiver. There is less lag/dead time between stations. You can also view the song playing on other stations before switching stations. I believe the Roady uses the same chipset as well.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander

·
Registered
106 Posts
I purchased both the Sirius SIR-PNP2 and the XM Delphi SkyFi.. Though I would try them both for a month, then sell the one I didn't want. At this point I haven't decided. Both program selections have their advantages (they each have some that I wish the other had). To my ears, in my truck with a stock radio the XM sounds a little clearer, but more of a tin can sound. The Sirius has a deeper sound, but not as clear as the XM.

The reason I went with these as they both can be moved from the vehicle to home/hotel room. I tried the FM modulation. Works OK in the country, but doesn't work in the city where stronger radio stations interfere with the modulation and you hear both on the radio.

I found a company that sells an adapter that allows me to use RCA connectors with my radio (replaces the FM modulator). It's called a GM9-AUX. The cheapest source I found is http://www.discountcarstereo.com. The RCA connector setup works great.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aketay said:

The Roady is 100% complete in the package. It does use the cassette to transfer the signal. They state a direct XM connection is best, then the cassette, then FM modulation. Sounds awesome I think anyway. Comes with a cig lighter to power it, and a mini XM anntenna about the size of a silver dollar. The anntena is attached with an adhesive pad as well as the fully adjustable bracket, holder that holds the Roady. I like the seven different screen colors. Orange, green, light blue, dark blue, purple, pink, and fire red. Its smaller than the Sky-Fi unit and you can easily take it to another vehicle.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I am patiently waiting my soundgate adapter to come so I can install my Pioneer XM tuner in my truck. 3 weeks and counting. I can't wait to get a taste of XM. I have heard nothing but positive comments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts