Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one familiar with the X monitor? Any other sugestions for gauges? I want to get a set before I do anything else but not sure what to get. Any input would help!!

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the X Monitor in my Ford. I have to say it's very nice. The pillar mount doesn't come painted, so I took it down to the paintshop and took the pillar with it. They all just snap in and out. They custom matched the paint and I will have to say it looks awesome. As far as functionality goes I like it. Seems to be very acurate from what I can tell, however another person I spoke to said the EGT's readings were off. But I dunno about this guy. It's a very clean install, will take about 2hrs+ to install though. But hey, your working on your truck in a good way.
Just make sure you have the boost line plugged in tight to the "computer" portion. I had to unscrew the box cover so I could put a quick tie on the rubber boost hose to hold it on. It kept blowing off at over 30lbs of boost.

You can also program alerts (Tranny,EGT,Boost) to start flashing when you exceed certain temps. This is really handy when you don't pay attention to sh*t like I do.

Only downside to the X Monitor is since it is LCD Display direct sunglight makes it hard to read sometimes. Only downfall I noticed though.

I got mine a year ago off eBay for about $350.00 brand new.

I give it a
. Edited by: TomHill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right now I'm running a 3 Pos. Western Diesel Chip, Custom Propane with a Transgo Shift kit. I also have a Detroit Locker and a US Gear Cyclone Power Fan. I love that fan, it's great for cooling and the noise, real attention getter.

I am putting in a Suncoast converter and valvebody soon. This tranny has 75k on it and the power this old "dinosour" is putting to it is causing some damage.

Don't you guys worry though, this 7.3L has some surprises. I have another engine I just bought and we will see how much power they will take before they die.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Mike

No plans to convert, that for sure.

This truck has been great, especially considering all the abuse I have given it.

Planning any mods for yours?

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really depends on what you want to do with it. Towing, Racing, Sled Puller etc. There are so many things you can do. I can't speak for the Duramax's but I would suggest the following depending on how much you want to spend:

Aftermarket Intake
Aftermarket Exhaust
Gauges

Just depends on what you want to do really, but that is a start.

Then it's things like, Fuel Boxes, Transmission Upgrades, Propane, Nos, Injectors, Turbo. uhh I'll stop there.

But once you start, you get the disease; I think the medical term is "Dieselitis" if I'm not mistaken.
I got bit and now I'm playing and paying.

TomEdited by: TomHill

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also have the X-Monitor and am very happy with it. Only using the Pyro and Boost. Bought direct from BD at a fair price. Clean install and easy to read. Like the idae of setting limits and having the alarm sound if you reach them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually in Reno. Vegas does nothing for me. To BIG. Work for the largest slot machine manufacturer.

I would have to look at the receipt but it is at home. I think it was around 350.00. I was going to buy the X-Monitor locally but did not like the attitude of the guy I was dealing with. I had heard the price was pretty much dictated to the vendors so you might not see much of a difference. The 3 level (trans, pyro,boost) is a little more. I chose the 2 level because of price and my truck already has a transmission temp gauge.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I dont really like the local guys either.

Vegas doesnt do anything for me either! The only reason Im here is for the money. Trying to make my fortune and get out
Is it easier to find Diesel gas up there? I have a heck of a time in vegas. I just moved from Utah and literally every station had diesel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually it is every where. But I try and only buy from the guys that I know move a lot of fuel. Sierra Sids and Baldinis for me. Real close in price so what ever I am closer to is where I stop. So you live in LV. I get there once in a while for work and have a few friends that live there. They say once you get past one summer your fine with the heat. I say No way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm with you WOJO, can't stand the heat. I just moved out here to Oklahoma City from Southern Utah. You thought the heat was bad, add humidity. I'm just glad I work in an air conditioned office!

Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where in southern utah tom? I just moved back to vegas from St. george. That town is what got me into the whole diesel thing. Been hooked ever since!!!

As for the heat, I live for it! Im in the Air conditioning business. If it dont get hot then I cant buy my toys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I lived in Parowan, worked in Cedar Cty though. I started to spend a lot of time down there in St. George before I left though. Use to go out to the old airport and race all the ricers. They all got a kick out out it to what my truck launch in 4wd and burnout one of the front tires.

I will agree, that town has a lot of turned up trucks. Mostly Dodges though, but they were fun. Those dodge boys didn't like a powerstroke rolling in there handing them there asses, but I can't say it didn't happen to me as well.

Got plans to go back and visit family at the end of Oct.

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have the X monitor and it is great. Tint your side windows and you don't have to worry about glare.

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have the X-Monitor and I think it is worth the price. Although it would be just as nice if it didn't cost $380.

I will compare the Hot Juice and Monitor with the X-monitor if/when it comes out. I plan to install a pyro in the driver side exhaust manifold to compare how accurate the X-Monitor is.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom,

Just read your reply. Yeah, it was fun at the old airport strip till they shut it down. I was probably one of those Dodge boys you were making fun of.
Just sold it last week. I actually miss it. Been really happy with my dmax though. You know any Applegates in good ol parowan?

·
Registered
234 Posts
hdmax, your findings with the comparison between the 2 shoould be interesting. I am curious as to the accuracy of the X-Monitor. Although I have no reason to think it is not. Just curious. I have post turbo install so I would have to adjust a couple hundred degrees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts