Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to get into Bio and I am going to make my first test batch today. My question is, On the first filtering, is cheesecloth going to cut it? Theres lotsa french fries and junk in it. What are other/better methods of filtering?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cheese cloth should catch the big chunks as a first stage, but more filtration - or a 2 week + settling period - is important for clean fuel.
One guy I know around here filters VWO by pumping it through 2 Culligan - type water softener filters into a storage drum. - Low $ "garden hose" technology; works pretty well.
Think its around 10 micron rated.
More high tech, and maybe better, are special filter bags. Try McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/, page 344.

Where are you getting your oil?

·
Registered
161 Posts
bio diesel

What type of tank are you using for the mix.What recipe do you have I've seen several(the easy method and the sure fire recipe).I'm thinking of making a batch I have 3 gallons of peanut oil.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheese cloth should catch the big chunks as a first stage, but more filtration - or a 2 week + settling period - is important for clean fuel.
One guy I know around here filters VWO by pumping it through 2 Culligan - type water softener filters into a storage drum. - Low $ "garden hose" technology; works pretty well.
Think its around 10 micron rated.
More high tech, and maybe better, are special filter bags. Try McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/, page 344.

Where are you getting your oil?

Cool because I have a lot of cheese cloth.

I thought I was going to do my first batch today, but my wife had other plans for me. Plus, my flippin pump seized when I was gettin my oil today. I get my oil from the Country Manor resturaunt. They have 4, 55 gal. drums that they store the oil in. I simply have 4 empty drums in the back of my truck and then I use a small gear pump that I fabbed to run off a swamp cooler motor. Usually sucks it up in no time. Got halfway down on my 2nd barrel and my pump locked up. So I took it apart and found it was jammed with fricken cigerette butts! Damn cooks and waitresses have thier smoke break next to the oil containers...so I gotta figure something out there. Maybe a suction screen or sumthin.

The recipe I plan on using is one I got from a guy on ebay. And I plan on using 55 gallon drums for my processing. Ive got it propped up about 8in off the ground so my propane weed burner will fit under there. measuring utensils, thermometer, and the other little details came from the Dollar store. I'll post pics of my setup once I get everything the way I like it. I aint doing nothin fancy, pretty simple and basic. I just hope it works.

Before I pour it into my truck, I plan on filtering it thru a Agriculture farm equipment type diesel filter that I picked up at John deere. The guy couldnt tell me the micron rating, but it should work?

I got my 55 gal barrel of Menthonal from Union Distributing in Tucson for $198 Delivered. I can get it much cheaper if I pick it up there, but Tucson is 1 1/2 away.

Sorry for the long post... I am just so blind going into this. I ve been guessing on stuff up to this point and so far it seems to be working out. Oh well, my dads a T.V repairman...he can fix it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
BR6.5 -

Cigarette butts... Sheesh!! Looks like you need a screen fitting on that sucker hose. We pull our oil from a couple of small local places, and get them to give it to us in the 5 gallon plastic jugs. A little more handling but there seems to be less junk and crud that way.

Mannytranny had a good info link table a few posts back.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51595 This one oughta be a Sticky post.

I read 'propane weed burner' and 'methanol' in the same paragraph.:eek: Maybe it's my worry-wart nature, but I'd be reeeal careful never to use open flame anywhere near where you're handling methanol.:)

I'm ordering parts from Kennedy Diesel for a lift pump / pre-filter system to take care of any leftover residue from the biodiesel - or dino diesel. I've killed several GM lift pumps on the last 2 years, so hope this takes care of the problem and allows me to use more bio. Partial plugging up of the truck's fuel system from crud & residue over time has been a source of problems and mystery.

Looking forward to seeing news and photos of your setup.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to build a screen that fits into the funnel on the tanks. That way the butts wont get in there. I wish they did the plastic containers, but I think I am dealing with much more WVO from this place. Plus, I dont have to go all over town to pick up oil...I can get all theWVO for my needs at one resturaunt.

From what Ive heard and read...Mannys the BIO GOD. I hope to learn from him.

LOL, I was tired and I didnt mean to say weed burner...we'll its part of my weed burner. The hose and tank is from my weed burner, then I have a huge camping stove type thing that I will use.....it still has open flame, but I will be careful until I get my real processor done. I keep my Meth and lye 75ft away in another shed. And my processor will be under a awening out in the open.

I will be guinnea pig this stuff on a old perkins 3cy. diesel welder I have. Then I try it in my Cummins after that. I want to get good at bio before throwing it in my baby. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
wvo

keep me in the loop I definitely want to know more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts