1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF! I go the stupid letter telling me "we regret to inform you but..."

My Onstar isnt going to work as of 1/1/08

I use my Onstar all the time.

Any body know if they are going to make a conversion kit for the "ANALOG ONLY" vehicles??

What about converting it on our own, is it possible?

Jim

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
NO. The early Analog-Only OnStar models cannot be updated per GM's bulletin. GM has no plans for making a retrofit kit for these early models.

The newer Digital-Ready version of OnStar CAN be upgraded FOR A FEE and the most recent Dual-Mode systems already operate on both analog and digital so no update is required for these.

Here is some information from the OnStar website.

ANALOG TO DIGITAL TRANSTION

Revised January 16, 2007

Important Information about the Analog-to-Digital Transition
OnStar service was launched in 1996 using proven analog technology, which had the broadest geographic coverage of the available cellular network alternatives at the time. Usage of analog technology enabled us to evolve into the most comprehensive in-vehicle communications provider offering safety, security and peace of mind to millions of vehicle owners.

Because OnStar connected to the proven analog network, our technology helped ensure that if an airbag deployed in the U.S. or Canada, the vehicle would be connected using the cellular network with the largest geographical coverage available. Since we signed up our first subscriber in 1996, OnStar has assisted subscribers and others in more than 3.5 million emergency situations, including airbag deployment notifications, remote door unlock requests, roadside assistance, good samaritan, and other emergency calls. We are proud of OnStar's societal contribution, which not only has been widely recognized by our subscribers, but by the emergency response and medical communities as well.

However, based on a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruling, cellular carriers will not be required to support the analog cellular network beginning in early 2008. Without the analog network, we can't ensure the coverage that will allow us to provide subscribers, with analog equipment, the services they expect from us. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only through vehicles that are capable of operating on the digital cellular network.

We at OnStar sincerely regret that we will not be able to provide OnStar service to vehicles with analog equipment after December 31, 2007. All OnStar subscribers affected by this change will receive a letter from OnStar that outlines how this affects their service.

OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of three types of equipment:

Analog-Only: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog cellular network and cannot be upgraded to operate on the digital network. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At that time, service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Analog-only vehicles cannot be upgraded to digital equipment.

Analog/Digital-Ready: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog/digital-ready equipment operate on the analog cellular network, but can be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment if available for that vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will not be available on these vehicles unless the OnStar equipment has been upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital): OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both the analog and digital cellular networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the cellular industry's transition to the digital network.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Ok, so what's in my 2006? or how do I find out.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My truck, sister-in-laws truck and the in-laws Escalades, all worthless!!!! Frickin' FCC, I'm not blaming Onstar/GM for this one, but they should make some effort to make a conversion kit. I wonder what kind of revenue OnStar will lose with the millions of vehicles that won't be paying anymore?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
MAX4X4;1584373; said:
Ok, so what's in my 2006? or how do I find out.

From OnStar Website
Q6: Which GM vehicles are capable of being upgraded?

A6: Many GM vehicles equipped with analog/digital-ready equipment are eligible for upgrade to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Vehicles equipped with analog-only equipment will not be eligible for upgrades. To check if upgrade kits are available for your vehicle, please contact your local GM dealership or call OnStar toll-free at 1.888.206.0031. (Please have your vehicle identification number (VIN) available.)

·
Registered
357 Posts
milkman;1583484; said:
WTF! I go the stupid letter telling me "we regret to inform you but..."

My Onstar isnt going to work as of 1/1/08

I use my Onstar all the time.

Any body know if they are going to make a conversion kit for the "ANALOG ONLY" vehicles??

What about converting it on our own, is it possible?

Jim
My wife's Escalade broke down a few months back. I had to drive an hour to pick her up in the middle of the night. On the side of an interstate. Said Escalade had Onstar. Said Onstar did not function. After fighting with Cadillac and OnStar about who was responsible to replace it I just stopped the service altogether, run with AAA roadside assistance, and told them both to go piss up a rope.

My truck has the analog unit on it. I have paid for the system from the start. I have yet to use it; for anything. My coworker has a 2006 Avalance and Verizon. He can use his hands-free system with Verizon. I have Cingular and I cannot. I will probably cancel the service next week since, with a Nav system and cellphone and AAA I am struggling to understand why I need it.

We also have 2 MBZ's with Telaid systems on them (wife and daughter). I pay for those because they work and for safety reasons that have yet to be needed....

·
Registered
846 Posts
This is not onstar's fault, analog cell service will be going away in 2008. As far as onstar goes, I've never owned a vehicle that had it, and I really have no desire to.

·
Banned
720 Posts
that sucks for the people that can't just go out and buy a newer truck maybe a aftermarket will help you guy with a retrofit kit i guess gm thinks they will sell more trucks tactic

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am glad I didn't get the adapter to install the after market car stereo and keep the onstar. That adapter costs over $100, the non onstar one is about $20. I haven't pulled the trigger on the aftermarket system yet, but have been seriously looking and almost did a few weeks ago. Guess now I'll bypass the onstar since I'll be only using it for a few more months.

·
Banned
720 Posts
maybe they will come up with a fix for you guys i would contact a dealer and on star i cannot belive they a willing to loose all that money

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the cut-off for the analog only? What year trucks will be able to use without modification?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think with a cellphone and an external antenna for the times your in a bad area, plus a AAA membership is a much better way to go IMHO.

I have OnStar and used it for the free year and disconnected it. The GPS antenna works well for any GPS and the phone antenna mount can be used for a number of RF applications.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
catch03;1586876; said:
maybe they will come up with a fix for you guys i would contact a dealer and on star i cannot belive they a willing to loose all that money
They really won't be losing that much. The great majority of the active accounts are due to the FREE subscription during the first year of ownerhip. I read a report that says that over 60% of the owners DO NOT activate their contract after their free year is up. Beyond that, less and less people renew every year. I would venture to say that the majory of the analog-only vehicles have not renewed their contracts by now.

mfendley, As stated above in Post #1, the cut-off date is Jan 1, 2008. See Post #5 above on how to find out if your vehicle is upgradeable or not.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
RayMich;1587971; said:
They really won't be losing that much. The great majority of the active accounts are due to the FREE subscription during the first year of ownerhip. I read a report that says that over 60% of the owners DO NOT activate their contract after their free year is up. Beyond that, less and less people renew every year. I would venture to say that the majory of the analog-only vehicles have not renewed their contracts by now.

mfendley, As stated above in Post #1, the cut-off date is Jan 1, 2008. See Post #5 above on how to find out if your vehicle is upgradeable or not.

Not only that, the majority of people do not keep a vehicle over 4 years. I bet the subscription rate for used vehicles is very, very low.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well, my M-I-L went to have her '03 Escalade serviced today. The dealer told her that OnStar (the dealer) will upgrade her current system for free if you sign up for another 1-year subscription ($190). They are ordering the parts and she scheduled the service. Very interesting. Not sure if she has the D/A system already or just the analog. I will try and find out.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
2003 Escalade has a Analog/Digital-Ready system, so it is upgradeable.

I suspect that Onstar will do everything in their power to get people with the Digital-Ready systems to re-subscribe.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hey ABQFirefighter, off topic but where did you get that 496 cubic inches badge? That rocks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really hope they come up with an upgrade. I am not worried about the AAA as I already have it. I really like having the REMOTE DOOR UNLOCK AND THE ABILITY TO CALL WHEN THERE MAY NOT BE CELL SERVICE.

My Onstar works at my camp where no cell phone does.

SO it is worth it to me.

I was going to keep my truck for a long while.. With 2 kids and this being my only form of communication at camp.. I need it.

Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
ABQFirefighter;1588788; said:
Well, my M-I-L went to have her '03 Escalade serviced today. The dealer told her that OnStar (the dealer) will upgrade her current system for free if you sign up for another 1-year subscription ($190). They are ordering the parts and she scheduled the service. Very interesting. Not sure if she has the D/A system already or just the analog. I will try and find out.
I own the very same car your are describing and, once you talk to BOTH GM and Onstar, it would appear that it is a THREE year renewal in order for the free unit replacement.

If I am incorrect please let me know.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
milkman;1589190; said:
I really hope they come up with an upgrade. I am not worried about the AAA as I already have it. I really like having the REMOTE DOOR UNLOCK AND THE ABILITY TO CALL WHEN THERE MAY NOT BE CELL SERVICE.

My Onstar works at my camp where no cell phone does.

SO it is worth it to me.

I was going to keep my truck for a long while.. With 2 kids and this being my only form of communication at camp.. I need it.

Jim
I carry a spare key in my wallet ($1.52 with tax). A lot cheaper than paying $650 up front for OnStar plus $16.95 per month payable 1-year in advance.

As for cell phone coverage, OnStar currently uses Verizon's analog network. So if you had a Verizon analog cell phone with a good external antenna, your coverage would be nearly identical to OnStar's cellular phone.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts