Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on 05 2500HD cc sb.want to level out 285,s ,possible put on 305/315,s. thanks .Please pm me!!!:help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You can fit those tires just by cranking the stock keys 5-10 turns.

If you can't fit them on the stock keys, then you bought the wrong rims and need to go to a true 4"-6" lift.

Cranking the keys screws up your idler arm, CV joint, and balljoint angles, seriously reducing component life.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cranking the keys screws up your idler arm, CV joint, and balljoint angles, seriously reducing component life.
You had all these problems after cranking your TB's? :eek:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have 68K on my truck, with 50K running green keys and 315's. Steering's taking a beating but still OK. Original factory shocks. I don't offroad much so that helps a bunch on life.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Green keys will shorten the front end life, but to what extent is always a question. I have (on previous trucks) and know many people that run their t-bars cranked 8-10 turns to make tires fit. It's a cheap solution to fit bigger tires and a gamble as to how long it will take to give way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My question is how does anyone know that it shortens life, how is it measured or what is it compared too? If a part does wear out how is it positivly linked to cranking the TB's? Would it have worn out anyway because of that persons driving style? Are the CV's really at a bad angle? What is the max angle that makes them a bad angle? Are we saying you will only get 80k-90K miles vs. 100k+? People are always saying it wears stuff out and will cause damage yet no one ever posts up and says they actually had damage caused by cranking the TB under normal driving conditions. Serious offroading to be excluded because i do see where that is not a good idea. I understand the theory and reasoning for concern but I just never see anyone stating they ever had any problems with it and people have been leveling trucks like this for at least 15 yrs and major suspension lift manufactures are selling kits like this.

I've been running green keys in mine for 3 yrs now at 1.75", stock shocks and not a single problem. Most people are 50K+ and some over 100K so I am not asking for a pi$$ing match of why or why not but just some honest facts and not theories. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I've been running green keys in mine for 3 yrs now at 1.75", stock shocks and not a single problem.
1.5"-2" is about the limit before things can get serious.
1.75" can usually be done with the stock keys. I'm sitting at about 1.5", but with only 15k on the truck, not enough time to tell if I've hurt anything. The angles look decent.

Basic rule of thumb is if you aren't getting vibrations from the CVs at speed, you're probably pretty safe. If you are getting vibrations, one or two turns down is often enough to help without seriously dropping the front end.

And yes, 285/75-16's will fit without rubbing on stock rims, and with minor trimming of the fender liners on aftermarket 16x8's with 4.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanx JM

The steering linkage is what concerns me most. The tie rods are steeply angled and that adds stress and is shortening life. Big tires are hard on front ends. If you could flip the ends where they connect to the spindles to level the tie rods it would help a lot. A kit is out to do that on other vehicles (jeeps???).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts