Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY got to take some pics of my truck. Man washing this thing sucks! LOL.

I was looking at the rearward view of it - and thought how awesome it would look having one single FAT tire on the back would be; So i photochopped it. I'm not very good at PS but, I think it really looks neat:

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

LOL. the verdict is in.... My wife says not a chance in hell. She likes the dual wheels better. I think it's cool but i do like the dual wheels a bit better.
Another thing that ran across my mind would be towing; i doubt that wide of a tire could hold a tow rating?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Oh yeah!!:D

The tow rating would go down, but think of traction at track!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont know what the load rating would be on that tire but on the semis that run super singles they are over 10k lbs per tire.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No way! I would do two thin tires before I did one fat tire...:nono:

Just my opinion...:D

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
catch03;1591507; said:
looks like a pro street dually myself i like the duals no affence though
Oh you didn't offend me at all, I agree now.

921500Z71;1591508; said:
I dont know what the load rating would be on that tire but on the semis that run super singles they are over 10k lbs per tire.
I dont know what i thought they would be, but, i had no idea how high they really were. "I guess what was i expecting, captain obvious huh?" LOL

Ssniper3105;1591524; said:
Just my opinion...:D
LMAO - Hey tuff guy, this is my post, You dont like it you know where the door's at... .J/K!
I may have to go with those bilsteins you recommended - Thanks for the tip. I finnaly feel the 'floaty' suspension you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I'd have that tire looked at. Looks like some tread separation going on there. :D

Seriously, I think having four load range "E" sidewalls at each back corner instead of two, is a better thing.

Just my

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think it looks to cool with faties on it. I don't suggest going against the wife unit though, the couch is lonely and cold and no boobs in site. :D

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Those M&H singles come in handy under certain driving conditions ;)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Looks pretty cool.

Actually if you could find the right tire it would be rated the same or more. Lots of semis running around with those now.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
_nar_;1592103; said:
looks pretty cool. Actually if you could find the right tire it would be rated the same or more. Lots of semis running around with those now.
thats all we run on our new tractors...michelin x1's..read about them here....i hear conflicting things about them...some guys say they are great in the snow...other say they suck...some say they are very stable...others say they are all over the road..other than the fuel savings i don't have much faith in them...consider this...after years of standard duals running down the highway a small hump develops in the road between the duals...now with this new wide tire you are running along the top of the hump rather than in the groves in the road made by thousands of trucks...does not seem to stable to me...not to mention a wider foot print on snowy roads does not seem like fun...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yesterday i saw a semi with all fat tires no duals on it, trailer and all

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Super Singles.... Definately cool looking!

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a guy in my area that has done this. I dont know him but see him crusin around once in a while. I think it looks strange every time I see it.

Put the fat tires on for crusing and burnouts and the duals on for towing. Get yourself a good jack and an air gun LOL :D

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Now bare with me. I posted these picks for you to see some Super Singles on a PU.
The choice of a Cat or Cummins, with an Allison 2000 would be nice though.
http://www.f650pickups.com/page0003.html

·
Registered
541 Posts
Big trucks are all moving to super singles. With aluminum wheels and super single tires on tractor and trailer saves over 1100 lbs in weight per rig. I see more of them every day with the SS tires.

I heard a rumor once recently and not sure where from now that the SS was coming on the 3500 series trucks. May be just that...rumor.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
why are all you guys in the mind set that dual wheels would be needed for towing and super singles are for the track? I can see your point about the traction at the track...but super singles are just as good if not better for towing...less weight in wheels = more payload capacity and better fuel millage..

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I personally like the single tires, no mud build up in the center (make mud balls w/duals) and the like. Only downside is spare, (or having one for rear and one for front) and being able to limp it to somewhere. I agree it could "float" on snow or ice possibly (so wide itd tent to flaod not liek duals that cut. Stability wise, you got more rubber on the road w/super singles. I dont see why anyone says load capacity would go down if you bought a good single.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts