Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>Just wondering how many of you knew about all the trouble diesel engines have before you bought one?</DIV>
<DIV>Now that your finding out, would you buy another one?</DIV>
<DIV>I'm happy with mine so far, but all these horror stories are making me very concerned about my 40,000 dollar truck.</DIV>
<DIV>Also are you cocerned about all of the dealers that won't train the mechanics to work on these things?</DIV>
<DIV>Dam you would think that all the money G.M. gets for these trucks it would be mandatory they (the dealers) have certified mechanics for the Max and the Allison before they are allowed to sell any.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>OK, Rant Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV>Edited by: John R

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't have any idea. I traded in my '01 2500HD 6.0 4L80E 4:10 reg cab LB with only 14,889 miles on the '03 because I bought a larger gooseneck toyhauler and the 16,000 lb GCWR wasn't enough!

I would have gotten the 8.1 gas engine, but I heard that the mileage was a WHOLE lot better with diesel. I have never owned a diesel truck before.

·
Registered
328 Posts
All I ever heard was Diesel's needed less maintenance than a gasser.

Now I know better. But I sure do love the power when I tow and the allison is great so far. I had a 2001 2500HD 6.0 4.10 before this truck and the gas mpg on that was killing me towing.

So I guess I learn alot about Diesels and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
John R said:
<DIV>Just wondering how many of you knew about all the trouble diesel engines have before you bought one?</DIV>
<DIV>Now that your finding out, would you buy another one?</DIV>
<DIV>I'm happy with mine so far, but all these horror stories are making me very concerned about my 40,000 dollar truck.</DIV>
<DIV>Also are you cocerned about all of the dealers that won't train the mechanics to work on these things?</DIV>
<DIV>Dam you would think that all the money G.M. gets for these trucks it would be mandatory they (the dealers) have certified mechanics for the Max and the Allison before they are allowed to sell any.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>OK, Rant Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV>

YUP,

Hey, we are just seeing a small amount of problems, most of which are misdiagnosed or incorrectly fixed the first time.

The duramax diesel engine is great, I would not personally go back to a gasser, not as much fun or powerful, however, they have problems as well with the gassers.

Enjoy it because most will never see a problem, forums act as magnifying glasses, only people with problems post about them, how many members here ???? How many have injector or head gasket problems??

Probably 1/10 of 1 % or less...........

Don't sweat it, drive it and enjoy it.

T
NY

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
This is my first diesel and the first non-Ford I've ever bought for myself. I've have five or six if I could afford them. I love old cars, so know I'd love to stick some diesels in the ones I have...

A dmax in my 64 Gallaxie...
a 6.0PSD in my 78 F350
a Cummins in my mom's 64 short box F100
and whatever I can fit in my Falcons...

Things to do first...
Win lottery

Right....
Ox

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I was lurking on these forums for 2 years before I bought my truck. 2 weeks after I bought it I had to have 2 injectors and a fuel line replaced. Don't tell GM, but yes I would still buy another one. Has there ever been a vehicle sold that didn't have some problems? If they would put this same engine in a Suburban, LB7 or LLY, I would be standing on their door step waiting, cash in hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, I wasn't aware of the problems. I thought that diesels required less upkeep. I also thought that by year 3 of the Duramax all of the problems would have been worked out. I should have known GM would pull their usual stunt and just replace problem parts with the same problem parts.

I'm not sure at this point about another one. I'll have to wait and see how it does up to 100k miles. The one thing I'm very sure about is that GM is going to have to work harder for my money than they did this time. My usual tendency to buy GM has stopped with this truck. Edited by: 1*

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is my first diesel and I bought it with towing a fifth wheel in mind as well as regualr use. I have not had any problems so far and at this point would buy another. I think we are begining to see similar problems with the other diesels using the Bosh common rail system. I added the Nicktane and use additive and will hope for the best. I love the power this truck has, Yes I do run a Juice box but normally drive pretty conservatively but what fun when you do want to nail it!!!!!!! Makes a very noticeable differance towing too.

As far as maintanace I don't think it's really any different than a gasser. If you don't change the fuel filter on a lot of newer cars it will cost you a fuel pump. Oil? Well this is the first vehicle i have ever had that reccomneds a 10,000 mile oil change interval (no I don't go that long).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lol, "ALLLLL the problems"? perception is a funny thing..

~HELL YES I would buy my truck again everyday.

This is my second diesel. My first (6.0L PSD) was a buyback due to all the early production problems and I still bought another Diesel.

I doubt I'll ever go back to gas as long as I can keep affording diesels.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My hope is to not have to buy another DMAX for quite a long time!!! I figure in another 10+ years, GM will be offering some other type of powerhouse that will put the DMAX to shame...kinda like the DMAX did to the 6.5 so to speak.

I have my Nick Cat filter on with fingers crossed that my fuel system will stay in top shape... 16,200 miles in 13 months and no repairs to my truck at all.

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes, I would buy another DMAX equipped truck.

Will be replacing my truck in 2006. It may be with a GM, Dodge or Ford product. Won't know for sure until the time arrives.

Until then, I am enjoying the ownership of my current Chev 2500HD D/A. No problems to date. The last time the truck was to dealer was when it left the lot new (though the steering shaft "clunk" is starting to appear).

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Actually, I am more concerned that GM skimps on the time allotments to perform necessary repairs (flat rate). The dealerships are independent business's, if the money is there, the training and skilled mechanics will show up.</DIV>

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup certainly would; no problems on mine to date. Had a 6.5 for years with only a bad driver module that had to be replaced. As well the GM dealer here treats me good. As far as Dodge goes- had 4 over the years, all bad- (gassers though) but the troubles wern't with the engines anyway- just everything else. Never had a Ford so can't comment on durability firsthand- but most of them are just sooo ugly............

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
YES DEFINITELY,

As soon as I roll this truck off a cliff I going to buy the engine/tranny from the insurance company and put it in my 66 Ford Bronco!

Sterring shaft clunk on my nerves!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe, because I have zero brand loyalty (horrors)! The only given is it will be a diesel truck and the engine/transmission has to be proven reliable. It has to be (or easily modified to be) comfortable for long hours behind the wheel. A bowtie is optional but preferred.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hard to say at this point. Will do the un-necessary but necessary secondary filter. Nicktane will likely be the choice on this. The truck has been great but time will be telling factor. I would hate to have my family out on vacation in the brand new 31' travel trailer and have problems. They all have problems, we just don't need them. So far so good.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have to say that so far I love my truck, that's not to say I love everything about it, but for the most part it's good. Now if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, I don't know if I would. I am really nervous about the possible injector problem. I think alot of the worry comes from the fact I had a Banks Stinger Kit installed and that the dealer will not repair the injectors under warranty even though the Banks Kit isn't going to hurt the injectors at all. GM has put to many constraints on the truck and I think a truck that costs this much should be able to accomodate some modification, by the owner, without warranty issues. My $.02.

JP

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am sure that as of right now I would if I were in the market again. I started looking at these boards before I bought my '02 2500HD XC. I researched and looked for a decent deal on a used diesel pickup for almost a year. Just simply too hard headed to ever pay 40 grand for any pickup truck (unless it included a loaded toyhauler and hot and cold running maids). Didn't completely rule out any brand although my preferrences were for a GM. I talked to owners of GM, Dodge and Ford. All indicated that their brand of choice had seen some problems even if their own trucks had been trouble free. The gassers also see problems and even considering the potential diesel problems a gasser's longevity is considerably shorter than a diesel. Some owners and board members reported to have owned multiple brands and pointed out which models (in their opinions) excelled in which areas.
So having done all that I found my truck, paid a bit more than I really thought I wanted to but it seemed to be a good deal considering the features, extras and 28k miles.
So far I have only put about 3k miles on it but absolutely love it. A nicktane filter is probably in the near future for it. The jury is still out regarding a chip/tuner.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Even with what I know now about injector problems etc.. I'd have to honestly say yes I'd buy another. I am well more educated about this vehicle now then when I bought it. ( from excellent sites like this one!!!)This is by far is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I do like the Dmax/Allison combo, they were made for each other. I have owned other vehicles, and they all seemed to have their own quirks and problems. Also I never felt comfortable on long drives,always cramped up, sore back etc.. with my other vehicles, almost seems like this truck was custom built for me.To date I haven't had any major problems though it is something I'm aware could happen. To busy enjoying the ride to worry about what might happen!!!

P.S. I agree GM needs to train their service technicians. It would be nice not getting the scared deer in the headlight look from the service manager when you start asking questions about the truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Owned 2 pontiac grand prix's a 97 then a 98 both super riding rigs but I must say my 2004 2500 hd rides much much better and handles just as good as the widetrack....THESE AREN'T YOUR DADDIES PICKUP TRUCKS LOL.Anyhoo I would buy another.I aint skerrrrred of the injector problems.I will just keep up with good preventive maintenance.Besides I think bad fuel is basically the problem not the injectors.That's my .02 and nothing more

Tomslick24

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bought it because it was the best at that time. I have had 2 injector failures, 3 injector seat leaks and 1 transmission body replaced. I would still buy another one if I needed and would also buy a Suburban if they would put one in for the wife. Why, with all of my problems? DmaxAlli Tech, this board and the other one too. All helped and got me through the rough times. Made a bunch of new friends too. I also know that the new motor fixes several of the problems I had. I hope not to need to get another one anytime soon, but I am glad others won't have to worry about it. I have added 2 extra fuel filters and a lift pump, so I really expect no more injector problems. I love the truck and with my tune the extra punch. Had a hemi for lunch just the other day. Taste like chicken, but that was probably from the corner we went through.
Poor guy even had his window down, which I filled with smoke.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts