Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the best I could, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. My father and I haul seed corn and beans. We have a 2003 2500HD D/A and pull a 25' load trail gooseneck. Anyways, from my calculations, I figure we tow around 25,000 lbs when we really get after it. I was wondering what setting would be a good one to try with the EDGE Juice w/ attitude?? This is a lot of weight and exceeds all recommended specs, but those are for guys who don't really live right!!
Anywho, I really want to know what a safe zone with the EDGE Juice would be?? It is going to be a birthday gift for my dad and I want to make sure that the truck will not suffer at all from the addition (for my dad's sake of course). I wanted to surprise him while towing these loads and for all around performance. Thanks a bunch

Ty

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Level 0 only my friend.

I crossed a scale at over 30K GCVW and hit 1300 in 2nd gear.

Then i removed the juice totally and accelerated again. 1300 in second gear.

therefore when towing massive weight , just take it easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. Thats a major bummer. So what is the maximum weight you can pull on level 1?? Level 2??

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
i'm not saying that you cannot run it, but a regular juice on level 1 should be ok as long as you don't drive it FTTF and see if you can 'wrap' your pyrometer back to '0'

I found that by controlling the pedal a bit better, i could use level 1/0 on the hot juice and hold my acceleration point at 1100-1150F

Even the stock motor can exceed 1300F easily towing that kind of weight which makes it all the more curious why diesel trucks do not come with factory pyrometers.

Just my .02, i am sure there are others who will voice their opinion on this.

BTW a larger exhaust and free flow air filter help out to the tune of a 200F reduction in EGT's...money well spent

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the speedy replies. so what your saying is that it's not a matter of the tranny holding up with the extra power, its the egt's getting too high?? Another thing, is level 0 that you speak of basically running no juice??

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Agree with Got Juice,

I run the banks and it's not the power level it's the EGT's that you have to worry about. I bought mine with the speed-loader option to help keep the power under control when towing. When they hit 1300 it start's to back off automatically on the power until in a safer temperature. My 5th averages 17,000-18,000 pounds (not quite what your looking at) and I think it pulls it great.

If you into the Edge I believe it has a warner of some time when it hits unsafe temps but not sure.

Do the exhaust first either way. Wish I did and now I can't realize the full benefits until I get more funds to do it.!

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
thebestofindica said:
thanks for the speedy replies. so what your saying is that it's not a matter of the tranny holding up with the extra power, its the egt's getting too high?? Another thing, is level 0 that you speak of basically running no juice??

level '0' on the juice simply advances the injection timing earlier than factory. it usually produces 12-18 hp on a dyno...towing that much weight your trans will hold either level 0/1/2/3 fine, but it is the EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) that you need to worry about.

Most aluminium alloys (like our pistons are made of ) have a melting point of 1250-1400F depending on the alloy so the main limitation while towing is the EGT factor.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Although a few have reported EGT's as high as 1800* for short durations...

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you install Juice/Attitude/pyrometer you can set it up to defuel at whatever EGT you like. But you may find at times that even stock power would push it past that point. It would only defuel back to stock level regardless. There is also an audable alarm that can be used to warn you.

It also has the option of defueling for torque converter lockup, and will defuel if the locked torque converter slips.

The Banks Six Gun may be a good choice for you as well. I have J/A, and am pleased with it, but I don't tow nearly that heavy. Like the others said, intake/exhaust mods will help keep EGTs down regardless . --SS

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I haven't tried to pull over 17k, but really had no problem. It's not the wieght so much as the wind in many cases:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I think the trans and converter should be addressed with the loads you are pulling even if you don't add a power program.

mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info. Yeah, i know that 25,000 lbs anytime for duration is not good. We dont ask much from our truck very often, but when we do (you know how farmers are), we ask a lot of it. So you guys think that a power programmer of some sort is still not a bad idea?? I still like the idea of having more power when not towing, and like I said, we dont tow heavy loads except in the spring. Thanks again

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
If you have gauges AND use a box like the Banks, VA, or Edge that will monitor trnas slip and actively pull the added fuel. You also must treat it with respect and not abuse it.

Juice Level 1, or 2 will give a NICE boost in power.

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed; WIDTH: 537pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=713 border=0 x:str>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=34>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; WIDTH: 62pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt" width=82 height=34>OC_DMAX</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>Alan Betker</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>Duramax/Allison EC/SB</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right width=0 u1:num x:num>2002</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>2500HD</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>LB7</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 71pt" width=94>262.1 / 454.8</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 82pt" width=109>Juice w/att. #0</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 73pt" width=97>285.7 / 529.0</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 85pt" width=113>Juice w/att. #1</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 69pt" width=92>291.3 / 561.0</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 95pt" width=126>Juice w/att. #2</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=34>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; WIDTH: 62pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt" width=82 height=34>

OC_DMAX</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>Alan Betker</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>Duramax/Allison EC/SB</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right width=0 u1:num x:num>2002</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>2500HD</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" width=0>LB7</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 71pt" width=94>261.7 / 455</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 82pt" width=109>Juice w/att. #0</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 73pt" width=97>286.1 / 529.0</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 85pt" width=113>Juice w/att. #1</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 69pt" width=92>293.0 / 560.7</TD>
<TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 95pt" width=126>Juice w/att. #2</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer claims that the (edge juice) is the only chip that is GM approved,I am interested in doing something like this but am unsure of all the different claims.Does anyone know forsure?

03 2500hd dmax extcabsbed w/linex

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
No chip is GM approved, BUT since your dealer is doing your warranty work it wouldn't hurt to humor him.

I have a pretty good hunch that I know who your dealer is, AND if it's who I think it is, he also has good fuel filter kits!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have towed ~21,000lbs GCVWR with the Juice in level 1 with great sucess. Temps stayed reasonable until it hit some of the bigger hills, so I downshifted and backed off some for those, no biggie. This was with the stock exhaust though. I now have my 4" exhaust system back on with a Magnaflow muffler, so we'll see what the temps are like when we start double trailering again... As others have said watch your EGT's and your right foot...they are related!!

Bob

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I tow 20-26K combined with the juice on the 60hp setting with the stock tranny and 75hp setting since the ATS upgrades to the Allison. Just watch the PYRO and back off the power if EGT's start to climb on a big hill. Back in Dec I went from MI to MS weighing just over 20K combined and the truck never downshifted out of 5th and the EGT's never hit 1300.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some good stuff here guys. Everything else being said, what is the best (opinion of course) towing box on the market???

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Here it comes!!!!!

It's all personal preference. Banks has a history of doing things that help the tow or motorhome guy. That's why I chose the banks. I was more comfortable with the history behind the product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would really like to buy the six-gun, but I really like the addition of the monitor that I would also get with the juice. I have read about some programmers increasing fuel pressure above those that are considered safe for the duramax fuel system. Do you know which programmers maintain safe fuel pressure levels, and are the edge and six-gun programmers safe in this aspect???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts