Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a bad pmd throw a code? if so, how would you check it?

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
No Code. Replace and try like the dealer does.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Rare that it might... FAQ's has a little ditty on our beloved PMD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i have been through the faq's a couple of times, and this problem once before. the truck has had a random stall for the past few weeks while i was driving it. had this problem 2.5 years ago when i got the truck, but was cured when i replaced the pmd, injection pump, and the ops. i remote mounted the pmd on top of the intake with a cooler, but no extension harness. as i learn more, i don't think that this was far enough out of the heat. anyways, i'm thinking i'm gonna have to replace pmd again. i was just trying to make sure before i went and bought one.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
before replacing it try to recover it with a retorque of the transistor retaining nuts, if it hasn't died completely you may still have some life in it, save for the heath replacement, and use this one as a spare just in case the heath gives up on you and you need to drive until; the warranty replacement arrives

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i will try that, but how tight? i read the post that overtightening will kill the insides, but is there any advise besides snug? and what are the advantages of the heath replacement?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
1. See if they are loose.
2. Run them back and forth a few times to ensure that the oxides are broke loose.
3. Snug - very little, but firm - not to loosen or hear CRUNCH inside. Crunch means you broke the magic inside of it.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
More often that not a bad PMD won't throw a code which is why most dealers haven't a clue; as they ONLY troubleshoot codes, most dealers only employ parts changers anymore, not technicians with any real diagnostic acumen

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
yes they can set codes and if working in a dealer is so easy why arent you doing it. do you think we all just throw parts at them and hope its fixed??
let's be realistic, at times, it's a bit of a guessing game. You're not limited to the tech 2 when it comes to diagnostics....right?

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
yes they can set codes and if working in a dealer is so easy why arent you doing it. do you think we all just throw parts at them and hope its fixed??
O.K. mikek996 > Please list the specific codes for the PMD. I must be missing something because I didn't see you list not one.

The dealer throws parts at it to make money. I hope people here do it as an educated guess in an effort to troubleshoot. With all the experience here the guess work is cut to the minimum.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
DIESEL EFI DIAGNOSTIC WORKSHEET

VIN#:

Technical Assistance Case No:

Parts Dealer Code:

Customer Complaint and/or DTCs:

Pump Serial Number from Tag on Pump:

Pump Part Number from Tag on Pump:

Number of Tkimes in for the same condition:

Number of days vehicle has been in dealership:

Does the vehicle have any aftermarket accessories?

Can the complaint be duplicated?

Have any parts been replaced?

Have bulletins been checked?

Injr Pulse Width (for 1994-95):

Injr Close Time (for 1996-02):

TDC Offset:

Fuel Quality from fuel filter:

API =

Is fuel contaminated? Yes No

Fuel level 1/4 1/2 3/4 full single or dual tanks:

Fuel pressure:

Fuel rate @ idle: mm

Timing (actual vs desired):

1994-96 filter harness resistance gray wire circuit 474:

1994 PROM I/D:

IF A DTC IS SET, PERFORM THE DIAGNOSTIC STEPS FROM SI AND RECORD THE VALUES HERE:

DTC cross-reference for 1994-95 = 1996-02

Values

17 = P0370 Timing Reference High Resolution

18 = P0251 Injection Pump Cam Sensor Circuit

19 = P0335 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit

34 = P0216 Injection Timing Control Circuit

35 = P1216 Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Short

36 = P1217 Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Long

56 = P1218 Injection Pump Calibration Circuit

78 = P0236 Turbocharger Boost System Performance

88 = P1214 Injection Pump Timing Offset

IF NOT DTC IS STORED, FOLLOW DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOM IN SI

NOTE: Remember that Passlock is used on 1998 and newer trucks. Do not replace the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Fuel Pump, etc. prior to performing appropriate service manual diagnostics.

Claim Information
Submit a Special Policy Claim with the information indicated below:

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item

Replace diesel injection pump
--
--
MK-95
T-5550

T-5607**

C/K Truck

With A/C

With EGR (VIN S-L56)

Add: 0.9

Add: 0.2

G Van 94-96 (Classic Body)

With A/C

G Van 96-01 (New Body)

With A/C

Add: 0.9

P Truck, B7 Series 94-95; 97-00 Non-Turbo

With A/C

P Truck 94 Turbo

With A/C

P Truck, B7 Series 95-00 Turbo

With A/C

Admin Allowance

Diagnostics
Add: 0.3-2.0

Replace Electronic Shut Off Solenoid
MK-95
T-5551

C/K Truck, P Truck, B7 Series

G Van

Replace Pump Mounted Driver
MK-95
T-5552

C/K, P Truck, B7 Series

G Van

Diagnostics
Add: 0.0-0.3

with EGR (VIN S-L56)

Reimbursement for previous diesel pump repair or replacement
NA
NA
NA
MK-95
T-5553

Administrative labor hours

* -- The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer Net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for IPC) for gasket and pump parts from SPO needed to complete the repair.

** -- IPC Dealers (GM ODC) should use only T-5607 for diesel pump replacement. this is a change from the previously published bulletin.

*** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the sum total of authorized expense items needed to perform the required repairs, plus a $45 handling charge.

**** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the sum total of authorized expense items needed to perform the required repairs.

***** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the total customer reimbursement amount.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
that is the worksheet that has to be filled out for every injection pump we do. notice there is 9 dtc's that can set. and how generous is GM to pay me .3 of an hour to fill out and make all checks. thats why a lot of people do just throw it at them.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
What dealership do you work @ Mike?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
None of those DTC's are specific to the FSD\PMD, Mike.

If you'll take some time and read for a while on any of the 6.5 forums - and there are billions and billions, in the immortal words of Carl Sagan - you may notice the vast number of intermittent stall with restart and stall with no restart complaints, no DTC stored, where PMD replacement is the fix.

Those listed DTC's are usually indicative of actual Inj Pump failure, not PMD failure.

The statement , then, is true - PMD failure does not often set a DTC.

6.5 owners usually resort to these forums in desperation after one or more dealers have thrown parts at the vehicle - uaually at owner's expense - without solving the problem.

Which is why there are so many 6.5 forums with so many members.

Vast reliable experience is available here and on the Page, probably more so on these two forums than at half the dealerships across America.
And there are a few folks here that work at dealerships across America

I have read most of the 6.5 EFI training manuals, service manuals, tech lit, and such, but it leaves a lot to be desired when seeking to understand the system.

As much info is not covered, and some of the info is wrong, from typo's, misprint, erroneous interpretation of of engineering data, etc, and some data is deliberately confused to hide capability for illegal modification, it is understandable why few dealerships are willing to service the 6.5, and why so many customers come away from an experience disgruntled.

On this forum, the Page, and some others, we offer tremendous experience to try and 'gruntle' those folks, bring them back from the brink, as it were.

While I understand GM's commitment to CAFE and Emissions, a service tech must fully understand all the parameters in a PCM-controlled system in order to be functional in servicing a vehicle.

In my professional opinion, GM fell far short in that matter.

Stick around, Mike - you'll see what I mean.

BTW - thanks for posting the tech worksheet list, and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Thanks for making the difference there Mike. I too often get my dander up seeing dealerships trying their hand at repairing a 6.5, and the owners end up here hundreds or thousands of dollars later. That's why I'm here, I'm a fellow surviuor of fuel injection system issues, wanting to help others make the best of their 6.5 experience.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Yep, that's a little too much to check out for little pay. Sorry for being blunt on my first reply, The PMD itself doesn't have a fault code of it's own to tell you it's bad.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I guess your right its not pmd specific but we dont service the pmd seperatly. to troublesome and dont need the comebacks. intersesting points madeby diesel pro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts