Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my hotel room right now in Thetford Mines, QC(Canada) trying to think what went wrong. Left from CT and 6.5 hours later arived at the comfort inn. Fuel milage was 8.9mpg with no tailgate and a tow behind 30' V-nose snowmobile trailer.

Approx weight of trailer and passangers = 6,000 lbs.
Avg speed = 65-80mph (CT,MA)
Avg Speed = 85-90mph (VT)):h
Avg Speed = 60mph (CA with blizzard winds)

Was milage testing last weekend in NJ but plans changed.
Have winterfront on currently. Will take off on return trip and report numbers.

-- Rick

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got 8.5 mpg pulling my dodge to the track, at 70-75mph. Might wanna try pulling in 5th, that's what I'm gonna try next time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The problem is the speeds you are towing. Slow down to 70 or below and you will see around 10 or 11. That is what I get with mine while towing the same type/size of trailer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow! I get 21 mpg towing uphill into the wind @ 75 mph towing the same size/weight trailer.

JUST KIDDING, I am right there with you guys.

I did experiment towing in trailer mode and non trailer mode. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What in the world are you expecting? Perhaps a miracle, can you imagine what a gas rig would do under those conditions if you could even pull at those speeds.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I have an 03 LB7, on 04.5 LLY and the 06 LBZ and none of them will do any better than what you are describing

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get about the same pulling the same trailer. My lb7 would get 10 to 11 under the same conditions that the lbz gets 8 to 9.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mine gets 8.3mpg pulling my 12,000lb 5th wheel fully loaded

·
Registered
535 Posts
The problem is the speeds you are towing. Slow down to 70 or below and you will see around 10 or 11. That is what I get with mine while towing the same type/size of trailer.
Exactly!
Keep your engine RPMs at or just below 2,000 and you will maximize fuel economy. That's how it works with my truck, which equates to ~68 MPH.
Any faster than that and I'm out of the optimum RPM range and I'm pushing more wind, which means fuel economy sucks rocks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my hotel room right now in Thetford Mines, QC(Canada) trying to think what went wrong. Left from CT and 6.5 hours later arived at the comfort inn. Fuel milage was 8.9mpg with no tailgate and a tow behind 30' V-nose snowmobile trailer.

Avg Speed = 85-90mph (VT)):h

Was milage testing last weekend in NJ but plans changed.
Have winterfront on currently. Will take off on return trip and report numbers.

-- Rick
you should slow down faster than you wouldnt crash you truck into your hotel room!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow! I get 21 mph towing uphill into the wind @ 75 mph towing the same size/weight trailer.

j/k, I am right there with you guys.

I did experiment towing in trailer mode and non trailer mode. It doesn't seem to make any difference.
Why do you even waste your time making a post like this. There is no way in hell you are even getting close to those numbers, I don't care how you are driving your rig. :blahblah:

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Why do you even waste your time making a post like this. There is no way in hell you are even getting close to those numbers, I don't care how you are driving your rig. :blahblah:
the j/k in his post is "just kidding". you edit yours and I'll edit mine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
his post says 21 mile per hour not mpg when he tows uphill am sure he's not going much faster than that:joke:

I'm just glad to see that i'm not the only one getting bad mileage . i thought i had a problem with 11mpg.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Speed is your enemy. At 90 MPH across Nebraska with 4 sleds on an open trailer(heavy wind drag) I was geting 8-9.

But, going 70 with a 2 place I was only getting 12

Do not take your winter front off, it will go down if the temp is cold.

·
Registered
159 Posts
03 standard 4/4

sound poor to me im spoiled i get 17 pulliig my travel trailer about8.000 and got 22mpg from penna to north carolina in the spring no ac pulling an open cartrailer witha 86 chev 3/4 ton pick up on the trailernever got poor milege out of this truck

·
Registered
188 Posts
I edited my post. To clarify I don't think I could get 20 mpg downhill with a tail wind in neutral.
I get between 9 and 10 mpg towing a 8000# triple axle 36' trailer.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD gas 6.0 engine. Towing the same route with the same trailer at the same speeds i was getting 9 or better mpg. Hopefully after the diesel has broken in i will see better numbers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Avg Speed = 85-90mph (VT)

Try driving faster?????????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Covered snowmobile trailers seem to tow HARDER than most other toys,even at 1/4-1/8th of the weight. A head wind seems to be where you'll get your worst mileage. I got 11.5-15 mpg towing my 7500 lb boat for past few years with my 04 and 02 duramaxes between 70-90 mph,nice sunny days though,hardly any wind and summer fuel. Same 2 trucks,towing a 2200 lb covered triton 12 ft snowmobile trailer I would see right around 10-10.5 mpg (hand calculated),winter fuel,winter tires,rotten weather and a tiny bit of running in 4w drive. My new LBZ has the DIC that my other trucks didn't have,I was pulling the snowmobile trailer into a head wind a few weeks ago,I was seeing 8.2-8.8 mpg at 65 mph,switched it into 5th gear and it stayed about the same. Ran it up to 75 mph,dropped to 7.8 (after resetting it and letting it average back out). Same weekend on way home I saw 11.8mpg with a tailwind,I guess because I never had the dic I didn't realize these trucks get 8mpg going into a head wind,Smitty

·
Registered
62 Posts
these new lbz are terrible on fuel. adverage 15mpg empty on my new truck.
my old 2000 dodge will do 24 mpg going 70 empty.
I'd say gm is our enemy.

All these refinments to the new engine and worse efficiency.
im phoning my dealer.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts