Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last tank or two of #2 fuel I notice my mileage has gone down say from an average of 16 to 10mpg.

The engine is running OK, no smoke of any kind.

The fuel filter has about 7k on it. the air filter has 12k on it. the engine has 12k original miles.

Why would my fuel economy drop so rapidly???? Edited by: akrockhound

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
bad fuel?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I got the worse ever last tank 12.9 city easy driving no towing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
akrockhound said:
In the last tank or two of #2 fuel I notice my mileage has gone down say from an average of 16 to 10mpg.

The engine is running OK, no smoke of any kind.

The fuel filter has about 7k on it. the air filter has 12k on it. the engine has 12k original miles.

Why would my fuel economy drop so rapidly????
akrockhound, i too live in ak and recently my fuel mileage dropped to around the same. it does look to be coming back with this tank though. i have been runnig shell diesel and am considering changing. what are youre thoughts on good fuel in ak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I buy all of my fuel from a Chevron truck stop near my home. The winters have been releatively mild and I have been getting by with # 2 most of the time.

I will keep an eye on it. I haven't said anything to the fuel dealer. Maybe they just mistakenly put #1 in the #2 tank to get rid f winter stock??????

·
Registered
110 Posts
Which Chevron are you using? If it is the one right there on Airport then I would advise you try a different station.

Who does Freddies get thier supply from?

I have a friend that works for Aerofuel maybe I will ask him.

As for the "other" Alaska Duramax- Which Schell are you using? Go down to the one on Diamond and Old Seward. My buddy owns that store (and a few others). If you have a problem with his fuel talk to him. Name is Jerry. He will get you fixed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am using the Chevron on the parks highway near Ester.

They even claim to add treatment to the #2 to make it Diesel premium...whatever that is.

I think I will ask them if anything is different about the recent fuel they are selling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alaska Duramax said:
Which Chevron are you using? If it is the one right there on Airport then I would advise you try a different station.

Who does Freddies get thier supply from?

I have a friend that works for Aerofuel maybe I will ask him.

As for the "other" Alaska Duramax- Which Schell are you using? Go down to the one on Diamond and Old Seward. My buddy owns that store (and a few others). If you have a problem with his fuel talk to him. Name is Jerry. He will get you fixed up.
thank "brother", i was using shell on muldoon. no more, i stared going to garrets tesoro at arctic and international. they seem to move more diesel fuel than anyone i've seen. i changed my fuel filter and mileage has come way up. haven't finished a full tank yet but so far i've gone 180 miles on a 1/4 tank. best ever in over a year of ownership. also used one bottle of power services diesel kleen and c-tane boost purchased from inlet petroleum. much happier
with fuel econ.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
akrockhound said:
I will keep an eye on it. I haven't said anything to the fuel dealer. Maybe they just mistakenly put #1 in the #2 tank to get rid f winter stock??????
Whats the difference?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Polarbear,

#1 Diesel is Kerosene and #2 Diesel is Heating fuel oil.

The only difference is the purity requirements on what the different grades of distillate fuels are called. ( in the same grade category)

I left the dye thing out on purpose only because that does not have a thing to do with the technical requirements of distillate fuel. That's just a "Tax thing"

alaskaduramax and akrockhound,

Man, I thought you guys would get the "Good Stuff" right from the cow so-to-speak.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rock hound,

You most likely got a dose of #1, but it wouldn't hurt to check for the goo-balls. Microbial growth can be a pain, if you've sucked up a bunch that stuff it can plug a new filter before-quick!

Take a hand pump and suck out about a quart from the tank and look for translucient clouds in the fuel. Kinda remind you of a cotton ball in water. If you've got it, biocide the tank, change the fuel filter and finish out that tank of fuel, then change the fuel filter again.

The second change will protect you from the sludge that's created when the microbes die.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is Patrick's wife, he is holding our little munchkin right now. I've seen this issue and when I was at duramax class I brought this to the instructors attention, engineering has been finding a fault with the coolant temp sensor circuit creating a lower temp number and telling the PCM to add more fuel. From what it sounds like, the filters are good, the fuel sounds ok, no codes, no smoke, have it scanned & check coolant temp sensor.

Patrick

·
Registered
270 Posts
<TABLE borderColor=#008000 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=2238 border=1><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center width="4%" height=24>
Date</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width="5%" bgColor=#c0c0c0 height=24>
Odometer</TD>
Hours</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width="3%" bgColor=#c0c0c0 height=24>
Tank</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width="3%" height=24>
Gal</TD>
Amt Pd</TD>
$/Gal</TD>
Miles</TD>
Hours</TD>
Miles/Hr</TD>
mpg</TD>
Days/Fill</TD>
Gal/Day</TD>
$/Day</TD>
$/Mile</TD>
Mi/Day</TD>

Avg. mpg</TD>

High mpg</TD>

Low mpg</TD>

Avg $/Gal</TD>

Hi $/Gal</TD>

Lo $/Gal</TD>

</TD>

</TD>

</TD>

</TD></TR>
<TR>
03/24/04</TD>
8</TD>
0.5</TD>
m</TD>
0.0</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width="4%" bgColor=#c0c0c0 height=24>
$0.00</TD>
$0.00</TD>
8</TD>
0.0</TD>
0.0</TD>
14.2</TD>
0</TD>
<P align=righ

·
Registered
397 Posts
Melvin, Dude, thats impressive! But you've got way toooo much time on your hands, LOL

I wrote an article a while back and lost it when I tried to bookmark another location before posting it. I'll condense the info here. The material is from memory and is not intended to draw any flames, just to point up all the problems with diesel.

1. DIESEL is considered a combustable liquid by the EPA and not flamable, so it can be hauled in single wall barges. This make it likely to get water contamination, which leads to microbial growth. In more severe cases the microbes can even plug the fuel tank pick-up tubes.

2. Transporters are allowed to refill tanks that are considered "empty" with more fuel. An EMPTY tank may still have up to 2% of it previous load still inside!!!! On a 9000 gallon tank thats 180 gallons of another fuel!!!! Just imagine if the transporter just hauled a load of unleaded gas to a station, or heavy crude to the refinery!!!

3. Then there is tank scale which can flake off if the fuel delivery process which can cause havoic on your filtration system.

4. Plus, fuel stations are very likely to "guild the lilly" just a tad. For example, all our diesel in Memphis comes from the Williams Refinery on Presidents Island. "It's all number 2 diesel with a anti-static aditive", and thats a direct quote from the refinery manager. But all around town you'll find stations selling "premium diesel" for about .05 cents a gallon higher!!!

5. A simple yet effective way to visually check the fuel is to carry a quart glass jar, in which you can pump a sample to inspect before putting it in your tank!

6. Also a good rule of thumb is to keep all your fuel reciepts. I learned this lesson with my PS diesel a while back. Dealers won't warranty fuel contamination damage to your engine. However the station where you bought the fuel is liable. Each state regulates it's fuel sales and taxiation through the revenue department and if you make a claim against a station that doesn't want to pay for the repairs, just contact your state's revenue department.

In my case, they actually showed up, roped off the station, shut it down and took samples of the fuel. The fuel was bad, the underground tanks had to be treated and I was immediately re-embursed for my repairs!

Doug

·
Registered
270 Posts
mpdit, my friend, thank you very much. As for the time that I have on my hands, it was worked for, during the past thirty-seven years,
as I stated in my profile.

I am retired therefore, my time is mine and I worked for it.

However, back to the sudden thirst of my new Duramax and its constantly getting thirster. My driving habits have not changed. The Duramax fuel mileage is getting worse daily is the only change.

I am not here to flame or poke fun at anyone. I am just seeking any similar occurrences, or to see if my maxie baby needs to be worked on or what.?.

Thank you very kindly, if you have any helpful information.

Melvin

·
Registered
397 Posts
Melvin, That was all in jest about the time thing, I know what you mean about retired, I'm down to just less than five and counting.

The point I was trying to make is, that although our trucks are diesels, they really could be multi-fuel, due to the broad range of crap that can be found in the fuel.

Poor mileage can be caused by a multitude of things, but bad fuel is at the top of the list.

Have you tried different stations or more importantly a different supplier?

Also, mileage calculations can vary tremendously if you don't FILL the tank all the way to the top each/every time.

Diesel foams like beer and if you stop the pump when it first clicks off this leaves about a 2-3 gallon void in the tank, and on the next fill up you might fill part or all of that void, that will foul up the miles per gallon figures. To get exact numbers you need to see diesel in the fill neck each time.
BTW, Is Maryland one of the states where you're not allowed to pump it your self? I know Oregon is and I was thinking the other is Maryland, maybe not.

Any way, after taking a second look at your chart, you mileage took a dive back on 4/14/04, any chance those fill-ups were at the same station as your current lows?

Doug

Mr. Hatcher, where did you meet that jogger!
Edited by: mpdlt

·
Registered
270 Posts
mpdlt said:
Melvin, That was all in jest.
mpdlt said:
I am sure.

mpdlt said:
Poor mileage can be caused by a multitude of things, but bad fuel is at the top of the list.

mpdlt said:
My thoughts.

mpdlt said:
Have you tried different stations or more importantly a different supplier?

mpdlt said:
Yup, from Maryland through Va. and NC.

mpdlt said:
Also, mileage calculations can vary tremendously if you don't FILL the tank all the way to the top each/every time.

Diesel foams like beer and if you stop the pump when it first clicks off this leaves about a 2-3 gallon void in the tank, and on the next fill up you might fill part or all of that void, that will foul up the miles per gallon figures. To get exact numbers you need to see diesel in the fill neck each time.

mpdlt said:
Been there done that.

mpdlt said:
BTW, Is Maryland one of the states where you're not allowed to pump it your self? I know Oregon is and I was thinking the other is Maryland, maybe not.
mpdlt said:
I always pump my own.

mpdlt said:
Any way, after taking a second look at your chart, you mileage took a dive back on 4/14/04, any chance those fill-ups were at the same station as your current lows?

Doug

mpdlt said:
I am not sure what the problem is at this point.

mpdlt said:
Mr. Hatcher, where did you meet that jogger!

Right here on the Diesel Place Forum. Just high lite it copy and paste i

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It is legal to pump your own DIESEL in Oregon, not so for gasoline. Most drivers and even station owners don't know it though. Statutes and Regs on the subject do not include diesel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts