Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across an ad in the Horsemans News touting the Workhorse Tuner. They claim 15% or greater mpg, 160 lbs increase in torque, 80 more usable hp. All this without modifying exhaust or computer, does not require gauges and is warranty friendly. Is anyone using this tuner? Are these claims true? I tow a Featherlite gooseneck w/living quarters and would like to increase hp and torque (more mpg would be great also).

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
I believe that these are pressure type boxes. With all the issues with P1093 codes on the LLY, I'd say stay away from pressure based boxes.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Agreed, save yourself the trouble and go with an Edge or Predator.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No tuner is "warranty friendly", although there have been reports of dealers that are open to mods. It is wise to remove any tune or plug in type harness before bringing it in for service. I wouldn't waste my time with unknown tuner companys. Get a Predator or an Edge. These are proven, have good customer service, have been in the business for a good while, and we can help you with any problems should they arise.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What is a pressure based box?
It amps up rail pressure, in order to shoot more fuel in the cylinder. A better way to do this is to increase pulse width of the injector ( make it stay open longer). The rail pressure stock is like 20,XXX psi. It could be harmful to the fuel system.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
What is a pressure based box?
Problems waiting to happen...

The shim mod (I'm not 100% behind this yet) and lift pump additions to cure 1093 codes are all related to low rail psi. A psi box fools the ECM with a reduced rail psi signal potentially pushing you further into the 1093 zone...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't do it I unfortunately bought one. First when i put it on and went for a test drive the engine was noticeably louder. At first i picked up 1 mpg but over the next 4 months I lost 4 mpg hand cal. till i was at 10.6. My friend was selling his truck and i bought his edge juice w/attitude took the Workhorse off and put the edge on. Power in level 2 which (is 60 or 65 I think) is much better than the Workhorse(compared to their advertized 80), fuel mileage has also went back up and 14 or 15 if i keep my foot out of it. Truck also is runing nice and quiet again. Just my 2 cents but was the worst buy ever very happy with the Edge.

·
Registered
355 Posts
glad I did a search on this!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts