Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADVICE PLEASE
I tool my truck, 98 6.5L TD K1500 truck, into a mechanic and after they read the codes, they said that it was the “fuel solenoid”. It that the lift pump I keep hearing about on your site? I have a 98 Suburban with, as I read now, a lift pump that is out. I am just going to check the codes when I can. I spent about $400 on the repair on the truck and I will probably do it my self on the Suburban.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Welcome to the site take a minute to run through the FAQ & troubleshooting links in my signature, the meat of your answer can be found there. We need a specific code and more detailed description to comment in detail, could be lift pump, OPS, or PMD. go through FAQ see if anything fits your problem if not post back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help

OK. I just completed the test and received the following error:
DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short). That is the only error that I received. The problem that I am having is that it dies while driving, and at times hard to start. I have bleed the system and I don't get fuel out of the bleeder. I thought that it was the lift pump but now I am not sure... any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
sounds like the classic pmd thing with stalling, i believe a 35 or 36 is the death knell for the ip. my code was 1216. how many miles on the truck ? gm warranties the ip / pmd. for 120,000 miles 193,000 kms or 11 years wich timewise puts you in the loop. comes down to mileage... if you are in the loop go to faq's for what to do prior to a visit to gm..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help

Well it is a '95 (over 11 years) and 124,000 (over the 120,000), so it looks like I am the big looser Censored. Any chance it is the LP and not the IP???

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well it is a '95 (over 11 years) and 124,000 (over the 120,000), so it looks like I am the big looser Censored. Any chance it is the LP and not the IP???
PMD is just on the IP(for now, if you choose). Pump Mounted Driver=an electronic piece of crap that controls the IP and is notorious for going bad until remotely mounted. Cheaper than the IP and will cause just as many problems on the front side.
Read through here and they can tell you where to get them and how to remotely mount them to try to avoid this problem in the future.
Do your searches and get the deal you want with what will last for you.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
sorry i thought it was the 98, missed the 95 but nevertheless when is the in service date. it is 11 years from that date. ie. june of 95 gives you till june 06 if ya know what i mean. there is an outside chance gm will warranty an over mileage truck if you can seemingly convince them the problem has gone on for 5000 miles. i'm sure a gm expert will be along shortly to tell you yea or nay. hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the PMD on the IP or is it something else that I need to look at? I know from my other 6.5L TD that when the IP is changed the intake needs to be removed... Y or N...

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Is the PMD on the IP or is it something else that I need to look at? I know from my other 6.5L TD that when the IP is changed the intake needs to be removed... Y or N...
jc,
unless your IP is bad, you don't have to remove the intake(lower), just the upper and that is a snap as I'm sure you know. The PMD is located on the IP and is a common problem.
Check through the past threads and the FAQ's on PMD's or Pump Mounted Drivers replacement/ remote mounting and that should help with what you're looking for.

Mark

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
You need to first check the lift pump and the OPS. A code 35 can also be a bad PMD(mine was), it is not always a sign of a dying pump. GM even has a TSB regarding code 35, it is either air in the system, bad optic sensor or a bad PMD according to the TSB. Make certain the lift pump is working though, mine wasn't and that is what took the PMD out(excessive heat) on mine.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
You need to first check the lift pump and the OPS. A code 35 can also be a bad PMD(mine was), it is not always a sign of a dying pump. GM even has a TSB regarding code 35, it is either air in the system, bad optic sensor or a bad PMD according to the TSB. Make certain the lift pump is working though, mine wasn't and that is what took the PMD out(excessive heat) on mine.
What Ferm said. Also if this doesn't help you, I got my IP replaced, $200 deductible, with a little phone work, at 123,000 miles. Keep in touch here and everyone will help out. Check what Ferm said first.

·
Registered
551 Posts
With an error 35 and a dead lift pump, I would bet the injection pump is the culprit. If the lift pump was dead for a long time, it put extra wear on the injection pump, causing an untimely death.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
With an error 35 and a dead lift pump, I would bet the injection pump is the culprit. If the lift pump was dead for a long time, it put extra wear on the injection pump, causing an untimely death.
Not neccesarily, I was told the same thing about mine. The guy before me had put to many PMD's to count on it in under 2 years and never replaced the lift pump or even checked it. He got rid of it at 153,000 miles for this problem, I bought it and remote mounted the PMD and fixed the lift pump system and am now at 175,000 miles(with 92,000 on the pump in it) and the same pump. I had the code 35 and was told I needed a pump for it, went with the remote PMD and still goin. Also had idle problems and was told I needed a pump for a bad FSOL, replaced the ECM and chip and have had no problems since. The pumps are not as bad as people make them out to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts