Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my 255's today, and MAN do they look good! Raised the truck up about 2" with just the tires.

My stock 245 Firestones have had it (29,000 miles), but they put up a good fight.

The bed is still about 3" higher than the front, so I'll turn the bars up about an inch. Will this require me to get my alignment checked?

I'll get some pictures taken soon (even got the white letters on the outside... )

hee hee hee... :)Edited by: conradv

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can't wait to see what they look like. I really think the white letters will look good on your truck. Post pictures!!!!

Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you crank the t-bars up you need to have allignment checked.I turned mine up about 5 turns & it changed allignment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I cranked mine up 2 1/2 turns with no change. But don't take a chance have it checked out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
What tires did you put on your truck? I've also got 255s and they made the truck looks much better. No driveability issues at all. Cranked my torsion bars 4-5 turns on each side to try to reduce the rake, did need an allignment afterwards. I've got Trxus MT's, great tire, but not wearing as well as I was told to expect. Not sure if I'll go with them again when it's time to replace.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are LT255/85R16 Widetrack A/T Radial Bajas

Hope they'll last a while. I was actually pretty impressed with getting 29,000 miles out of the stock Firestones.

Took these pics this morning:

Here's some more:

Edited by: conradv

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, they do look nice. Big tires for the stock rims. Did you get your torsion bars cranked up? If so, did you have to have it realigned? How do you like the wheel-wheel waag bars? I am thinking about getting a set.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't cranked them yet, as I am working from dusk to dark a lot lately. Just got the pics taken this morning at sunrise...

My tire shop said they'd check out the alignment when I crank on 'em. They loved the look of the new tires on it.

The front driver's side sits about an inch lower than the passenger side, which in turn has made the passenger side rear about 5/8" higher than the driver's side rear. But I've heard that GM in their infinate wisdom seems to have done this to all of the new trucks...

I really like the wheel to wheel Waags. As you can see from the pictures, they stick down from the cab a little, but there is some adjustments that can be made to get them closer. They tie in around the frame in three places, and they seem pretty darn sturdy.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Nice conradv,

I had the same size the last set. Dunlops. They held up for 40,000 or so. That is one big truck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Hoot - I think I decided on getting the 255's after seeing pics of your truck a couple of years ago.

It IS a big truck, but I love the long bed. My brother's 4-wheeler will fit in the back with my tool box no problem.

When are you going to put a little tree on the hood of your "The Diesel Place" white truck logo on this site?
(just kidding)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am at 56k on my stock rubber. I guess I am doing pretty good as I expect they will be fine untill 60k. I am starting to shop for new skins. Are you guys useing 10 ply tires that you are wearing out this quick ??? I am looking at the Michelin LTX for replacements.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Every 255 I found was 8 ply. I didn't really think it would make much of a difference, but I have a friend with the same tire in 285, which is a 10 ply, and he has gotten much better mileage from his tires. And I know he has a much heavier foot than I do.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
265 - 75s are not as tall as the 255 - 85s but they are a little wider. I have 265s and love them.... I like the looks better than tall and skinny.... I dont want to get new rims to go to the 285s......

Enjoy

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I wore out a couple sets of 265/75 BFG AT on the stock rims and a set of 285/75 BFG AT on them too.

The 285s looked good but I'm going to go 265/75 or 85 Buckshot for my new winter tire on the stock rims.

I have 285/70-17 on some spare H2 wheels i had laying around for summer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ISurvivedNMU said:
265 - 75s are not as tall as the 255 - 85s but they are a little wider. I have 265s and love them.... I like the looks better than tall and skinny.... I dont want to get new rims to go to the 285s......

Enjoy
That's the great thing about this world of ours, we don't have to like the same things! Personally, I detest the look of fat tires, and love the look of the tall skinny ones. 255's are more "Old School 4wd" in my book, while the fat ones are more "Fast Race Car" tires....

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just replaced my Cooper 255/85R16 on my dually today with some new ones. I got 43K on mine and had maybe another 8k left on them, but I had the money for the new ones, so I better do why I can. 6 aint cheap
Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scott,

What model Coopers were you running? I looked at the Cooper S/T, but not readily available locally, and they were significantly more expensive than the TrXus ($160 vs. $120), and thats before mount and balance which was free with the TrXus.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cooper discovery LT All Terrain. Paid $125 each that includes M&B.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts