Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck died and won't start. I bought a new PMD from Heath and installed it and same problem. Anyway, I thought I had air because the thing just cranks and cranks. I noticed that the fuel shutoff valve is opening but not all the time. When it does open it seems to pull fuel down into the IP but it never gets to the injection lines. When the injection lines are wide open they are not even dropping an ounce. There is simply no fuel to the injectors. My lift pump is functioning fine. Is there something holding the fuel up that is electronic that needs replaced? Is my IP toast? Thanks in advance I am very frustrated. BTW the fuel is returning out of the fuel line out of the pump, it is just not entering the injection lines.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info.

Bill Heath said that if I took of a connector at the back of the pump that the truck should start and idle but not wind up and it would mean my IP or more specifically my optical sensor is bad. Well, I took it off and still no fuel. I played a bit with my fuel shut off valve and I can hear it clck but it is only working intermitently. I am going to buy a new fuel shut off, the old one leaked anyway. Do you think it could solve my problem? I am hearing the old one click, does that mean it is open or maybe not fully and keeping fuel out of the injectors? If I buy a new shut off valve and then have to buy a new pump, would anyone be interested in an extra? What else could this be?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Would be interesting to see if there is any voltage opening up the fuel solenoid from the PMD. If so, and no fuel, would spell that there is internal problems with IP itself in my mind.

Would like to see some Pump guys input for sure.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Carefuel not to confuse Fuel Solenoid with Shut-Off Solenoid. Those are two completely different things.

Since you "noticed that the fuel shutoff valve is opening but not all the time", I assume that you had the shutoff solenoid out of the pump. Yes it should pull IN with the key on. Did it have a 1/4" allen or 1/2" hex head on it?

I think it would be better to replace the whole injection pump than to keep replacing it piece by piece....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allen Head

Well this is the old model shut off with the Allen Head and it leaked a little so it needs to go anyway. I ordered a new one. If that doesn't work then I will check wiring and put a new pump on. The motor runs and sounds good, and I hope to get a lot of life out of this vehicle. I was nearly finished with a grease installation when the trouble started. If I were to do it again I think I would have spent a few extra dollars and bought a little newer rig with less miles. This thing got a new tranny and radiator before I bought it and now I have thrown money at it trying to get it to run. A new Heath PMD, fuel shut off solenoid, and hopefully not a new pump to boot but I will keep the forum informed. If nothing else it is getting a lot of new parts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frustrated yet relieved.

On Jan 19 I chnged my starter when the old one up and died the previous day. I put in a NAPA reman and used it until my truck died. My reman seemed to turn ok but was sucking a lot of juice. Anyway after fighting with this truck for some time now and replacing the PMD and the Fuel shut off solenoid my friend suggested maybe my ellectronics were going haywire because of the load of the starter. I returned the reman to Napa and bought a new one. I put the thing on and it wouldn't crank. My buddy smacked it with a hammer and it finally started to turn but wouldn't turn over. Then my buddy decided to pull the fuel solenoid and check it out. The new fuel solenoid wasn't opening still so he put the old one back on and right away the plunger came up with the key on. Still no start. I unplugged my brand new Heath PMD and put on my old one and bam she fired. Anyway, I am relieved my IP isn't shot but I can't explain the new pmd not working right. I'll call Heath today and get a new fuel shut off to replace the leaky old one. Also my brand new NAPA starter only works with a good whack so I suppose I get to take it back as well. So this Suburban basically has me fit to be tied. Will someone do an anti vodoo dance and take the hex off my Sub.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
6.5's are like that.
but consider this...
you may have had low pressure to the IP from the liftpump or an air leak, the IP drew it in and died and you had to crank untill the air passed the IP.

Have you tested the fuel pressure at idle?

PS kudos on the veggie, I can't get enough to burn!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
How's the WVO been working out for you QM? What percentage are you burning now?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I've put 1500 miles on the .030" over block and not a drop of grease in the tank.

With the price of diesel going up, people start looking at their grease as worth more. I don't have a steady source at this time but with an estimated 2+ million gallons a month in the Houston area, I figure it's a matter of time 'till I find a source.

I'm also planting a few acres of sorghum. I'm curious to see how many gallons I can squeeze out of a spring planting (at the 30th parallel in texas it's almost warm enough right now)

·
Registered
9 Posts
QM, you are planting sorghum to squeeze WVO out of? wouldnt soybeans be better?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I'm kinda partial to the real stuff we pull out of the bowels of the earth myself.

Kudo's to the veggie guys though, if i was looking to save some cash i'd be looking into veggie myself. :)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got her running smooth and on grease.

I've been through the mill now. My problems turn out to be related to a starter that was sucking too much juice and robbing my electrical system so the truck wouldn't start. To compound problems my new PMD from Heath isn't working and never has. I bought the Heath thinking my problems were pmd related and so I'm back on the old one. I went through a lot of frustration before I put back on the old PMD and got her to run. Plus I thought my fuel solenoid valve wasn't working and changed it to a new faulty one. Finally, I bought a new starter and put it on only to have it work when I smacked it with a hammer. I put on a new starter that worked, hooked up the original pmd, put on the old fuel shut off and she fired. What a hassel to change a starter 3 times. I also bought another fuel shut off and put it on because the old one was working but leaky. I got her warm and switched over to my new vegetable oil system and she purred. Washed her up and am just being excited about my greasy future in the Burb.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
congrats! on the grease conversion
Sounds like your now an expert starter replacement guy. If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have none, kinda sounds like you have the CR HEX happening

1 - 15 of 15 Posts