Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Chev 1500 6.5 TD that won't start.
It started last monday when it was cold I didn't drive it on tues. and Wed. it it wouldn't go. It was too cold to do anything about it.
Sat it was +2 and I tried it again with a car on it to boost it. I have reasonably new glowplugs in it, and can smell unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust. The starter turns over the engine but it sounds like it is turning faster than usual? I talked to a friend that drives a rig and he suggested easystart, that started it right upand it ran great, but it still won't start without it. I would like to find the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
First, you'll need two fully charged batteries, with good terminal post connections - check those out, first.

Then, pull your ECT connector - t-stat crossover - try it again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Batteries are fully charged connections are good, starter works and turns over engine fine but I get no fire. Where is my ECT connecter what does it look like?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Then, pull your ECT connector - two-wire connector on the t-stat crossover - try it again

Raw fuel indicates no heat, no glow - you should check your glow plugs, one at a time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too dark / cold now I will check the glow plugs tomorrow and get back to you thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you tried plugging in the block heater? It is kind of...nay....necessary to plug the rig in when it gets below freezing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Live in an appartment.. no place to plug in. I usually don't have problems starting until -2 or so (even then it still starts after a couple of tries) I tried on sat, it was +2... no fire what so ever.
I checked the wire to the glow plugs and found only five plugs getting 12VDC. I should still get some kind of fire though right?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You need to check the plugs - 12v on an open plug does just as much nothing as no volts on a good plug = no heat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the plugs and found the ones getting power were burnt out, and the ones not getting power were fine... makes sense.
Question: 1. Should I change all the plugs and the controller at the same time, or just the plugs and the wires?
2. Can I ues a different size wire or should I use stock 22AWG?
3. Any suggestion on what type of plugs I should use.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Not sure what wires you're referring to, but -

the glow plug harness is high temperature silicone-rubber insulated fusible-link wire

the orange wire is very high temperature teflon-insulated.

the terminals are specific for glow plug service, not your typical radioshack fare.

NAPA and GM carry that stuff

Get a set of Delco\Delphi 60G glow plugs for extended service - replace all 8, at one fell swoop

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called Napa the plugs are $20 each and said the harness is a GM part.
Is there any after market place to get the harness or do I have to get ripped by the dealer?
What does quickstart do to my engine... is it a good Idea?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Not even a good idea - quick-start, ether, wd-40, etc, all would be very explosive in your glow plug system.

If your glow system is functional, you don't need any of that hazardous junk.

The harness is GM, but NAPA carries the fusible-link wiring in bulk rolls.

However, you might hit your local boneyard to find a better harness on a recycled truck - be careful to not damage the connectors when pulling them from the glow plug spades.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fusable link wiring is is the wire from the harness to the plugs?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The entire harness with that blue-gray wire is silicone-rubber insulated fusible-link wire, good for ~400deg

The LS\RS harnesses are connected to the gp controller with a short section of smaller fusible-link wire - that's the safety fuse.

The two orange links under the turbo are teflon-insulated wire, required to withstand the 650deg average temps in that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
going to see if I can get the wire and I will get back to you, thanks.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Is your harness really bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The harness is not really bad but three of the wires are broken and need to be replaced. I got the plugs and will put them in tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts