Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my truck (6.2L n/a Diesel) out last night (-30*C) left it too long in the cold and had to use a little ether to give it the start, charged my batteries up to full and parked it in the yard (no garage). Next morning, the truck lights up, shows prewarming glowplugs, etc. when I turn the ignition to start, it doesn't do anything, nothing... well, a sort of weak "click" under the hood... ANY THOUGHTS WELCOMED!
Help, I've been reduced to my K-Car... I need my truck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
First test the batteries again. A battery low on charge will freeze, kinda sounds like that is what happened.

Turn the headlights on, and try to crank, if the headlights stay bright, the starter is bad.

If the headlights go dim, weak batteries, or lose connection.

recheck batteries and connections.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traveler said:
First test the batteries again. A battery low on charge will freeze, kinda sounds like that is what happened.

Turn the headlights on, and try to crank, if the headlights stay bright, the starter is bad.

If the headlights go dim, weak batteries, or lose connection.

recheck batteries and connections.

Ok, tested the batteries, all fine. Headlights DON'T dim when on and key turned to "start". All battery and connections fine. Dropped the starter, took it to my local Canadian Tire, put it on their starter testing machine and when it tested, it blew sparks all over the sales guy (who was not impressed with my nearly falling down laughing) who enlightened us all with "it's fried".

My question is, can I get just a solenoid and brushes? is this thing worth rebuilding, what would tell me it's not worth rebuilding? Any thoughts would help. ($300 for new one - I'd rather rebuild if I can).

Thanks,

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, you can get Solenoid and Brushes. See if you can find an AC Delco parts Distributer in your area. Also get 2 bakelite brush holders. I'd put in a new ACD Drive at the same time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Make sure the bushings are good, if they have any play in them it doesn't take long for the armature to start rubbing on the fields, and the usually kills them right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same truck, in similar conditions (Sask winter) I have had numberous problems. It is likely your starter. Extremely hard to remove and install. from my experience. I had cronic glow plug failure,resulting in hard starts and thus burning out nearly 10 starters in 8 years. Have you experienced any glow plug problems? What kind of truck? 4x4? 1/2 ton? I am in the process of sueing GM with all the cronic problems i have had. Email me with any problems you have had. I have lots of tips and parts in sask, where are you from. would you sell your truck?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jheilman said:
I have the same truck, in similar conditions (Sask winter) I have had numberous problems. It is likely your starter. Extremely hard to remove and install. from my experience. I had cronic glow plug failure,resulting in hard starts and thus burning out nearly 10 starters in 8 years. Have you experienced any glow plug problems? What kind of truck? 4x4? 1/2 ton? I am in the process of sueing GM with all the cronic problems i have had. Email me with any problems you have had. I have lots of tips and parts in sask, where are you from. would you sell your truck?

Well, you'll be happy to hear I was born & raised in Sask. (Big River). Living outside of Edmonton now, just moved... yeah, I am happy to say that I got a little more life out of the starter by replacing the solenoid, but then the starter quit working again... (it split in two, there WAS a crack in there from the last owner...) so I replaced the whole damn thing. The ol' girl's working fine now. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS Glow plugs are fine, 1/2 tonne, 4X2, and yeah, that starter is the heaviest known object in the known universe (yes, that includes black holes).
PPS, it's my wife's deceased Dad's old truck no way would she sell it. Might take you up on some parts when I come back through Sask in Summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts