Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my truck in to dealership recently and the tech told me my fuel filter wasn't as good as the GM brand. of course, They tried to sell me a GM filter for the low, low price of $26 + $100 labor to install it. :eek:

I've never had a problem with the Wix filters. Normally run them for 6k-8k, which is great considering I run my tank to 1/8th full on a regular basis.

I disregarded his comments as pure BS, but figured I should check with the experts here to be sure. Any logic behind this?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I run OEM, and will at least until the 100k warranty is up. Can't go wrong with OEM...BTW, it's easy to do all the basic maintenance yourself and not for $100.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well I run OEM on my truck but I think Wix would be my next choice. I think they are good filters maybe better then an AC, I have ran them on everything I have owned except my diesel. I read a comparison test on the internet a long time ago between like 10 different filters and wix was the best one

·
Registered
323 Posts
At work I called the Cat dealer to come out and look at a D6M doser they had just installed injectors in for a problem and the first think the guy said was the NAPA (WIX) fuel filters were the problem.... I told him if they were the problem I would fill all three of them with diesel fuel and eat them...... an o ring on one inj. busted and was letting compression under the inj.....we use NAPA filters for everything and have not had any issues...we have 5 Dmaxs three of them are LMM's

·
Gone but not forgotten member
11,309 Posts
Been covered many times and I believe the general concensus still is the OE and napa are both made by wix/affina . or racor really, same difference

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I run OEM, and will at least until the 100k warranty is up. Can't go wrong with OEM...BTW, it's easy to do all the basic maintenance yourself and not for $100.
I also use all oem ACDelco oil and air filters and Allison tranny filters. Everything else is a copy of the oem...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had both oem and Wix, no problems with either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Had my truck in to dealership recently and the tech told me my fuel filter wasn't as good as the GM brand. of course,

I disregarded his comments as pure BS, but figured I should check with the experts here to be sure. Any logic behind this?
I would ask him if thats his personal opinion, or if he has something in writing to back that up....

·
Registered
549 Posts
A Trucking magazine's use to do big tests on filters and it was very informative. The top three where AC Delco, Baldwin, and Fleetguard. I am sorry but I don't remember where Wix was. BUT I do remember which company was buy far the worst. That was FoMoCo. and it was amazing. the FoMoCo had very little paper and was deemed buy them to be not recommended. On that note I had an M11 come in one afternoon with low oil pressure and after 1/2 hour of testing found the oil filter was the restriction, it was a FoMoCo.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have just come back from buying oil filters for my Yukon. In the past with the Suburban I mainly stayed with the AC Delco. I took one out of the box today and it looked like the upper end near the gasket was glued with hot glue. I know it really wasn't hot glue, but some kind of crap was used as a sealer and it was very sloppy. I ended up with a Mobile 1 filter , next time I will go to the NAPA dealer and buy a few NAPA Gold/Wix filter. The AC Delco filters I was looking at were at Wal-Mart. Could they make a cheaper version for retail?

·
Registered
454 Posts
kinda changin directions hear, but i'm gettin ready to drive to missouri for huntin season, about 1600 miles round trip and im wonderin if yall think i should change my fuel filter before i go. i have close to 5k on the clock. thanks in advance for any info.

denny

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Unless you have had filter problems in the past i wouldn't change the fuel filter out at 5K. Before I put the Nicktane on, I put 13K on the filter and it still had a good 5K left on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would carry a spare filter, I always keep one with me just in case.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
11,309 Posts
The WIX/NG filters are the dual pleat filter. I beleive that Racor makes the OEM filter for Chevy. WIX makes their own. Come check out our website for the WIX/Napa Gold Filters.
Bryan
I get mine from Bryan, He's good people.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have used WIX for years with no problems. Great filters.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wix is all that I use but I am partial the them because I work at NAPA and get them at cost :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have always run donaldson on mine. Tried wix once and had vacuum problems with it. The dealer told me I was running eight pounds vacuum, five being the norm. I went back to donaldson and it has never happened again. They are a little pricey, but I think the best.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
kinda changin directions hear, but i'm gettin ready to drive to missouri for huntin season, about 1600 miles round trip and im wonderin if yall think i should change my fuel filter before i go. i have close to 5k on the clock. thanks in advance for any info.

denny
What does the DIC say? You should be good for three times that many miles. However, I do carry a spare.:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.