Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing my Autometer Nexus gauges and and a little stumped on wiring for them.

It needs a couple things that would be simple years ago, but not in todays "too smart" trucks.

It needs 12 volts switched with the Ignition, but that ignition switched wire MUST be hot when cranking. Every swtiched ignition wire that ive found shuts OFF just before the starter is engaged. (to give full power to the starter and not subject electronics to the power surge) Its a good idea, but makes wiring these guages annoying! Also it needs 12 volts constant, which is easy...Ill tie into my brake controller wire or something...thats 12 volts constant. Its a big fuse tho, that worries me. Are there any other small (5-10 amp) constant 12volt wires under the dash? Anyone? Max Power?:D

--Ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Pink wire at the ignition switch is hot while cranking and on when the ignition is on.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks Tony!! I knew you'd have the answer...I assume the pink wire comes right down the column?? Do you know where id find a low amperage wire thats hot 12 volts all the time regardless of ign switch position?

thanks
--ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You can get that at the ignition wiring as well. Red or red/white. Fuse it to whatever they require.

Whereve your take power from you should add in a fuse of your own.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perfect thanks

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I used the mini fuse taps for my Isspro amplifier and everything works well. Pulled the power out of the little fuse panel in the dash. Runs my CB and extra back up lights also. Just something to consider...........

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I was going to do that, but the Nexus gauges are wierd...theyre all computerized and operate on a data bus network...I guess they need constant 12 volts that cant be disturbed when crcnking...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
oh ok I didn't know that they were funky like that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts