Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turned my wipers on the other day, they wouldn't turn back off! I pulled the fuse to get them to quit. I did a search on this issue and some are saying it is the board and some are saying it is the module. Any clarification on this would be great. I'm out of warranty so I want to fix this myself.
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Chevy had a bad problem from arond 1992 to present with the board its called the pulse control module i had to replace on my 1992 truck 1997 astro my dads 1998 astro my dads 1993 truck a friend at work 1997 truck part is about 65 dollars. its one of the things they never bother to redesign kind of like the front end clunk intermediate shaft had to have that replaced on a few

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! Where is the pulse control module located.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know where the pulse control module is located?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Per Helms 2002,
The windshield wiper module is part of the motor, (don’t think you want to hear that). Windshield Wiper Motor Module is located inside engine compartment, on top of firewall, under the plastic Air Inlet Grill Cover.
The other possibility could be a shorted contact on the Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had that problem on a 98 1/2 ton. They (the wipers) would eventually stop but usually not in the right place. Found a spot in the newsgroups alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks that had the solution. Since mine wasn't covered under a factory recall and was out of warranty, I decided to attempt the repair myself. I don't recall all of the steps but since it is/was a common problem and somebody provided a very detailed description and was not that bad at all to fix. Apparently stresses on the circuit board would eventually break the solder. You could not tell from a visual inspection. Since I tinker with electronics on ocasion, I had a high watt soldering gun (230W.) I don't think a smaller pencil type iron would work because the solder points were quite large. You could get to the circuit board relatively easy by undoing 2-3 screws on that truck and take the part indoors (important in the great white north) to do most of the work. Also a good chance to add more waterproof grease to the gears.

I am concerned though that GM still has not really fixed this problem by 2003 if this is the case.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
My old 93 did the same thing.

The main problem is water getting into the wiper motor.

Even after you change the module and you put it back together put a little silicone around the edge of the box to keep water out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The modules are available separately from the stealer as well if you prefer to replace instead of repair

1 - 8 of 8 Posts