Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know the part # for the pulse wiper circuit board?

My wipers had an issue when I got the truck,they didn't work at all.
The classic lit test light on the housing showed the motor had lost ground.

So knowing the board had problems from the get go I did whet I always do when that situation happens to people with little money and added a ground wire with a self tapper from the housing to ground-7 years and all was well till yesterday.

Now I figure another circuit is burnt out and I can't get away with any old tricks.

My local Canadian tire has a bin with unkown application parts and I did find a pulse wiper board in there for a good price but I would like to know it is the right part before purchasing(yes Mark,the one we saw when we got your pitman arm is still there).

Any help would be appreciated,I will try looking on Rock Auto but figured I would post here first.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
I know on mine, the solder connections to the board had broken, and only worked when the engine got hot enough to make connection somehow.

pulled the board out one day at work, and resoldered the connections. haven't had an issue since.

Not sure if that could cause your issue too, but something worth looking at, and keeping under the "gmt400 wiper motor repair tricks"

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
You don't understand how important the wipers are until they won't work. And wipers that won't work in bumper to bumper traffic and freeway speeds on the highway not a good thing.

Total pucker moment.

·
Registered
92 cheverolet Scottsdale 6.5 turbo diesel
467 Posts
I had to resolder the pc board on my 92 about 3 years ago. The board is easy to remove. The problem area on mine was at the board connector and one pin on a relay connection. A good light and a magnifier showed the pins in poor contact with the PC board at the solder joints.I read of the problem off the diesel page site and somewhere on this site, a common problem I guess.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Steve, I replaced my pulse board a few months ago...it was $20 or $30 at the local Hotspot location down here in Oshawa. I can pick one up for you if you want and bring it up next time I'm up there, which IIRC, will be soon. ;)

I don't remember the part number or anything, but I just asked for a wiper pulseboard and they plonked it on the desk.

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I ended up breaking down and ordering one from the local dealer,the price was in the middle of Rock Auto's when I priced both GM #'s so I went with the higher priced part for a bit less than Rock Auto and no shipping problems.

I will fiddle with the old one when I get it out just to see if I can repair it,seems I have 2 or more of most parts for my truck now so lets keep the spares on hand.

2,424 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the pulse wiper circuit board?

My wipers had an issue when I got the truck,they didn't work at all.
The classic lit test light on the housing showed the motor had lost ground.

So knowing the board had problems from the get go I did whet I always do when that situation happens to people with little money and added a ground wire with a self tapper from the housing to ground-7 years and all was well till yesterday.

Now I figure another circuit is burnt out and I can't get away with any old tricks.

My local Canadian tire has a bin with unkown application parts and I did find a pulse wiper board in there for a good price but I would like to know it is the right part before purchasing(yes Mark,the one we saw when we got your pitman arm is still there).

Any help would be appreciated,I will try looking on Rock Auto but figured I would post here first.

I am thinking back to diagrams that I have looked for the wiped sw. And if I have it right. The pulse wipers run the low speed. As I rember it the whole pulse part is like a tps and just keeps uping volts to the low speed wire. So if this were mine I would conferm my memory is right or wrong. It's been years since I could look at wiring diag at home. So these are my thoughts. And you would be welcome to prove me wrong.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
The pulse board can be gotten on any good auto parts store help rack. I have had the diodes literally explode on a few but I could not find out the value of the diode to ge a replacement diode and fix it.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
The problem with these boards is well documented and has to do with a trace that breaks on the electrical plug joint to the main board. Apparently 30 seconds of soldering is all that's needed to repair it - there was a website with detailed info on the repair process that I referenced when I was having the same issues, but I've since lost it.

For peace of mind I just replaced the board instead of trying to repair it. My wipers have worked perfect since.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
I had two in a row where the diode exploded. I ended up replacing the whole motor and board assbly with one form the Junky. I think something was wrong with the motor and spiking the Diode.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I ended up breaking down and ordering one from the local dealer,the price was in the middle of Rock Auto's when I priced both GM #'s so I went with the higher priced part for a bit less than Rock Auto and no shipping problems.

I will fiddle with the old one when I get it out just to see if I can repair it,seems I have 2 or more of most parts for my truck now so lets keep the spares on hand.
The wipers on my '94 were boogered up when I got it. I cracked the electronics open and several matchbook covers fell out. Apparently putting pressure on the circuit board re-establishes contact for a little while. I wound up getting a good junkyard wiper motor and swapped out the board, keeping the motor assembly as part of a growing inventory of spare parts for the Silverados. ~FH

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took some time today and inspected my old board.

The brushes were nearly worn out but I did also find that the solder joints for the wiring were bad in several places.

The solder was quite stingy also,to repair I had to add solder,so now I have a spare when and if the need arises.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts