Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you have had, my circuit board on my wiper motor finally decided to quite working. I could not find a step by step guide on here so I have decided to make one. So here it goes;
Here is a pic of what I am talking about;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More!

The most problems I had with this circuit board replacement was getting the power cable off. Their is a plastic clip that has to come out, it is held in place with a outdent and pulls out with a little effort.(see picture)
You then slightly pull upward on the plastic hook on the top of the wire cluster that goes inside the wiper motor side. It also was not easy to get off and took a little bit of effort to pull out. Just be carefull on both so you do not break them. here are pictures of both;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More!

I then pulled three little screw out of the covor that hides the circuit board. You then remove the cover and pull the circuit board out, it pulls straight out. Here are some pics of the cover and the removed circuit board;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More!

You then install the new circuit board, ensure you apply diaelectric grease to the two probes that stick out of the board. Then install the new board, replace the cover along with the three screws. Hook the wire back on and the lock that holds it in place. Know your wipers should work properly. Here is a pic of the box that my wiper motor circuit board came inside. It came with new circuit board, screws, and cover. It was around $20 to $25. Here is a pic of the box that the circuit board came in and a picture of the finished product before I reconnected the power cable!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
good deal,i guess i never thought of asking if you could just get a new circuit board,could have saved myself a bunch of money twice

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Incidentally, check with your GM dealer to see if yours is under warranty... there was a recall on a whole bunch of these. The problem has been common since 1989, but only certain years and models are under recall (it figures, right?) even though the same part is the problem in all cases.

Oh, and to my fellow Canucks... don't bother. Ours aren't covered under the recall, even if it IS the same part number. Don't ask why.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Good.
Say too you can redo the old soldering on the used board. Most of the time that works and bring the board to life and save you time and money---

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
ROFL, we were typing the same time jif

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fix

The solder fix does not always work. I did try that idea first, since I am a cheap skate! Maybe for some people that have good luck, just not me on this case. That is why I made this mod, I could not find a step by step guide!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
The solder fix does not always work. I did try that idea first, since I am a cheap skate! Maybe for some people that have good luck, just not me on this case. That is why I made this mod, I could not find a step by step guide!
Yep, I agree. Thanks for posting with pictures about how to change the board... the same procedure works for trying the solder fix, and now people have something to do when/if that fails!

I'll add this to the FAQ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts