Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out plowing in a ton of slushy crap......think I bent something in my wipers.....now they dont sit were they did before at rest. Also when on the DS wiper goes off the glass. 2 points were my wipers stopped working becasue they couldnt come down far enough. Had to stop and chisel em free at least every 10 minutes :rolleyes: Any ideas on places to start? Is there a rod that goes between em under the cowl or something? Just pop off that plastic peice? Just wondering if there were any hints or tips before I started my disection?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That rod isnt under the cowl, at least on older trucks. Its inder the sheetmetal under the cowl. That would be the first place to id start. Is the ps one messed up or just the ds?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both equaly.....so I assumed it wasnt just the rod bent a bit :confused:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Both equaly.....so I assumed it wasnt just the rod bent a bit :confused:
I would bet that you slipped the drive arm on the motor. It is a combination of a tapered shaft with some splines for extra friction. When you pull the motor out, you should be able to pull the nut off that holds the drive arm to the motor and reposition the arm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When the wipers swing down do they go lower than when in the parked position??? (i.e. when they park to they go down then back up) This should tell you if it slipped at the motor or on the wiper arms.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When they swing down they go to the same place as they do durring rest. Thanks:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
mine have slipped before from the weight of snow. They have always just slipped on the bolt where the arm attaches to the motor. I just pop of the little black cap loosen the nut, realign the arms and tighten back down. I think they are designed to slip there so they don't cause damage to the motor itself.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, Thanks :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
When they swing down they go to the same place as they do durring rest. Thanks:)
The reason I asked is because I my previous truck the same thing happened, but when I had the dealer fix it it made the arms swing below the park point...which to me means they moved linkage to far...

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmm......the driver side wobbles a bit on its pivot point. Not real bad but I'm thinking it ait good. I unscrewed the nut but I couldnt get it off. The thing was wobbly so I didnt want to pry too hard. Couldnt get a puller in there either......guess I need to get a smaller puller to fit?

I am guessing the stub that it spins on should be fairly tight and wobble free. Any ideas on how to get it off without getting a puller or getting violent with a prybar?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bumpity bump :)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Take it to the stealer?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And pay em to fix my wiper? Screw that......I aint going to try and warantee it since it got screwed up becasue it was trying to remove 15 pounds of slush off my truck and kept getting loaded up with slush under the wiper about 1/2 way up the blade and stopping. Doubt they would even if I *****ed......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts