Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

This is not a very technical question but it seemed that this would be a question for a GM tech as far as knowing if it is covered under warranty.

The wiper arms and wiper blade holders on my 2002 2500HD D/A truck are somewhat corroded. They are turning sort of a whiteish/gray and are sort of rough looking, almost as if they might be rusting? I have seen this on many GM vehicles over the years.

Will GM replace these under warranty? If so, great but if not, are they very hard to remove, sand down and paint myself with black Rustoleum?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
420 Posts
All my wiper arms do this. I take them off, sand and paint with a low sheen black paint. Look as good as new.

Interesting that the rear window wiper arm on my wife's Grand Voyager seems to deteriorate the fastest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a grey area.

The blades (or inserts) have a 12/12 warranty in many cases because they are a wear item....

BUT.....

Some dealers may replace them for the paint defect (instead of streaking, etc.).

Sad to say it depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This particular problem isn't a big deal. If they will replace, fine. If not, I can take them off, sand them and put on a coat of flat black Rustoleum. It's just finding the time to do it that's tough.

I'll report back tomorrow and see what the dealer says. Also, is $90.00 a ripoff to replace the fuel filter? (if I am not any kind of mechanic) I was thinking of trying to do it myself but I don't know where it is located and don't know how shut off the fuel flow, etc.

Someday, I would like to learn more about doing simple stuff like this but with 2 kids, a busy wife, my own business, it's really tough to invest the time.

ALl you guys on this site are the best, this is such a great resource. Yes, I am going to throw a few bucks donation to keep it going, pay for server space, etc.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's probably an average price....not too bad.

We get more on performance problems due to the diagnostic time involved.....meaning: It pays in the long run to replace it every 15K miles.

Don't wait for trouble.

BTW, you'll need a LARGE filter wrench for this filter, it's pretty big. Don't forget to prime the system or you'll never get it running.....and you have to R&R the sensor from the bottom of the filter and properly install and lube NEW o-rings to prevent leaks (GM filters come with them).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi natk:

Just from your post, $90.00 is sounding better and better ;-) I don't know how to prime a diesel (or gas) fuel system, I don't know what R&Ring the sensor means and...

$90.00 every 15k miles...yeah, I can live with that.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all:

Just wanted to report back, went to the local Chevy dealer here (W.M. Morris in Simi Valley). They did a nice job on the alignment and fuel filter replacement.

They did also agree that it was corrosion on the wiper blade holders and arms and replaced them with new ones under warranty, no questions asked, no problems.

Also, new touch up paint was $5.22. Did you know that your local BMW dealer will be glad to rip you off for $30.00 for the same stinking $5.00 tube of touch up paint? It is so nice to go to a parts counter and not feel as if a gun is stuck my ribs, demanding my wallet ;-)

Love my truck, had it weighed today for California DMV - 6,180 lbs with no driver or passengers.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts