Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy.JPG
I was just wondering if anyone else leaves thier winter front on. The day i got my truck Nov. 11th i put it on and have had it on sinse then. I plow and hit the speed limiter ):h when weightless in the front. Some on here have noted that the winterfront is a bad thing, restricting air flow and building up temperatures. The way i use my vehicle should i keep it off? What about on my trips to Canada in below freezing weather towing my 10,000+ snowmobile trailer? If i should keep it off is that in regards to the grill cover, the bumper cover, or both? Im guessing the bumper one blocks in the intercooler and the grill one blocks the radiator?

Thanx Guys,
-- Rick

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Rick , I have run mine both ways when towing my 20k trailer, trans temp is the most affected, w/o grill cover temps were 150 w/ grill cover they were close to ECT . If the temp is over 30 I take mine off, under it stays on. FWIW I have never put the bumper cover on any of my trucks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Being from Alaska, I have gone weeks in the winter time with and without them. I have noticed no difference in driving performance, but there is a BIG difference in how fast the inside of the cab warms up when you don't have them on. If you have heated seats, I personally don't see any reason why you would be required to have them on. Some may say yes, you need them, and others say no. I ran my bumper cover for 2 weeks and when I wanted to wash the truck and when I removed the bumper cover and seen all the frozen mud inside, I never used the bumper cover again, afraid it would scratch the bumper all up. The grill cover works great on its own. Just my .02 cents.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
All you need the the grill cover, take it off when towing, your trans will thank you.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
All you need the the grill cover, take it off when towing, your trans will thank you.
Agreed... I've had my grill cover on (never the bumper one) since the first cold weather in Dec. Helped alot in 0* or below. Jan was very warm, sometimes in the 50s. Left the cover on. Worst case was 55* ambient, 210* block, & 180* trans. I can live with that. I'd rather have a quicker cab warmup if not towing... No heated seats.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Had mine on (grill only ) into the mid 40s, took it off when I got the truck washed, now I'm wishin it was on there!! Too cold to get out and do it now. I can't see how it would hurt, keep an eye on the temps and take it off if it runs hot. Better aerodynamics probably too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use only the grill cover. The temperature here fluctuates from 0*F to 40*F. I found that with the air flow partially restricted, it helps warm up the engine more quickly, but has enough air flow for cooling at the milder temperatures. With the grill cover on, the engine will get up to 200*F, but at that temperature, the engine runs very quiet and is very responsive. It just likes running at 200*F.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I dont use mine at all no since the dealer told me that it was the cause of part of my problems. Not supposed to use if it is above 20 so I took it off and threw it in the garage. Also don't plug it in if it is about 0!!! it will kcik up all kinds of codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
stick with the grille if under 20. leave the bumper one off due to salt and sand getting in there and RUSTing your rig out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts