Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that as it gets colder im having trouble starting the k-5 what can i do? this is a severe problem that is conflicting with work and school.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
What exactly are the problems? Most diesels start a bit rough when it is cold... What kind of problems specifically are you experiencing (cranking, fuel delivery, just plain no ignition)? Just how cold is it? How many miles are on the truck? Do you know the condition of the batteries/starter/wiring?

Also, are you using the block heater? Do you know if your glow plugs are functioning?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new batts// alternator/original starter just redid wiring from selinoid to starter.. it gets about 30 degrees {f} at its lowest. it takes about 15-20 minutes to get it started. it cranks and fires after that and after it warms up its fine. there have been a few days when i had to take my grandmas buick regal because it wouldnt start. i hate that thing.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do you know if the glow plugs are actually working? You seem to have replaced them, but it's possible that the glow plug controller doesn't work right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's where I'd start givin the symptoms:) Sounds like a Glow plug problem to me :):)

Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do you check the plugs?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
remove the wire from each glow plug and hook a test lite to the pos side of the battery and touch the tab on the glow plug and see if it lites up. shouldn't take two tries at starting at the most to get it fired up. where are you located.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
i start my truck every day after 1 or 2 times, no plug in, at -15 celsius which is somewhere around 8 or 9 fahrenhiet i would guess...correct me if i'm wrong. but check all connections, check the glow controller, it shouldn't be that hard to start, do an oil change and put in a winter grade diesel oil...

·
Registered
671 Posts
check glow system first. an easy way to check the gows is to pull one out, hook up the wire. have someone turn on the ignition while you hold the threaded part of the glow on a grounded part of the frame. just make sure you keep away from the tip, it should glow red hot in a second or two.

if your glow system checks out. you may have a problem with the injectors. if you don't get a good spray starting will be much more dificult.

you may also want to check out the fuel lift pump. if the IP isn't getting a good supply of fuel the it has to work overtime. it could also be part of the starting problem.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,074 Posts
glow plugs should be pulled and resistance checked to see if they function properly.
changing to lighter oil in the winter makes a big difference. at 0C i have a big difference when i switch to synthetic 0/40. engine can spin faster which a diesel needs to compress and fire

·
Registered
62 Posts
when mine did the cough and sputter thing when it was cold out I just gave it a little bit of throttle till it fired and ran on its own steam. my problem was old glow plugs, but this gave a solution when they weren't at their full potential

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
if you read the starting procedure on your driver sunvisor it tells you to use half or full throttle when starting depending on temperature...like a choke

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yeah, you are supposed to give these some throttle when it is cold. I'd have a hard time getting mine started otherwise, that's for sure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts