Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, This is my first winter with a diesel and I have some questions for you guys.

I have figured out how to put the winter grill cover on.

I have found the block heater plug.

What I need to know is this,

At what temp should I start using these?

How long do I need to leave it pluged in in the morning to get a good start?

Should I leave it pluged in all night? Not a problem if this is ok. It would be eaiser for me.

When I am at work, Do I need to have it pluged in during the day when it is real cold?

If plugging it in at work is Not Possible, Will I hurt anything starting it cold?

Should I be using any type of additive in the fuel during the winter months? If so Any suggestions?

Like I said, This is my first winter with a diesel and I dont want to mess it up!

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Come on guys, jump in and help.
First, fuel additive, yes. Primrose 409 for winter, 405 for summer.
Second, better to leave the block heater plugged in overnight if it's in teens or below. I lived in Iowa for 5 years and always left even the gassers plugged in overnight, but absolutely if subzero.
I ran the cover when days highs were 32 degrees or lower.

Anybody else do anything differently?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I run my heater only when it gets below and stays under 20, I also use a timer that goes off about 3 hours before I'm going to fire it up. As for the cold front, as long as you're not doing any heavy towing 40 or less consistently is a good time IMHO to put it on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got my grill cover on now. Its in the upper 30's-low 40's. Not towing though. Engine still doesn't get all the way warmed up but the tranny warms up to 170 or so instead of the usual 150 or less. I left my trucks plugged in all night and have started them at -23 degrees F (yes below zero) without being plugged in with no problem. They just run rough for a couple minutes then smooth out. Additive is good. Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
65 Posts
High of 78 today, low of 60...ever thought of relocating???

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use a timer as well, but the other way around. Instead of heating motor all night long, it lights up 5 hrs before I head out, nice and quiet, and in cab heat in about 5 mins.

Sorry about the edit to the post,,,,

Just talked to Dad who leaves his plugged in all winter, because he's retired and has no schedule and never knows when he's going out, and it cost him about $13 cdn a month to keep it nice and toasty, and quiet.Edited by: Rubberfish

·
Registered
394 Posts
As with previous suggestions, use a fuel cloud point supressant such as Primrose 409, as it is very inexpensive (2 ounces per tankful) insurance against fuel filter shutdown due to its being clogged from wax particle formation. There is nothing so unpleasant as to get down the road 10 minutes from home and have the engine quit. Which is what happens with wax formation; one can start the engine in cold temps just fine; however, it may take 10 to 15 minutes before the wax clogs the fuel filter. NOT fun being on a freeway, in the cold, with a dead engine. Additionally, by using a full synthetic diesel oil such as Mobil Delvac 1 which flows to -45, plugging in is a non-requirement. The engine starts, oil flows immediately and with the Primrose 409, no white smoke, no stumbling even with temps waaay below zero. Plugging in then becomes a convenience of instantaneous heater flow but no longer a worry or requirement. The block heater warms the coolant does little to warm the engine oil With synthetic engine oil it is comforting to know that one has immediate oil flow and protection to those components which don't get a chance to 'warm up' and begin rotating at high speeds immediately, such as turbo charger bearings.
George Morrison

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot for all the input.

Very intresting responses.

I Guess I will be looking for a place to buy Primrose.

Is this going to be a hard to find product?

The timer idea is also a very good idea.

Does anyone put snow tires on their dually? Since I do not have a 4x4

I was wondering if this is done or practical?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
You have access to Primrose in Ohio. AV lube is in columbus and is on the web at avlube.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Paul, if you can buy the Primrose from George Morrison at www.avlube.com I got my first shipement from them and the were quick and easy to deal with I gained 1/2 mpg with the first tank.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts