Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some guardes for the front of the diesel trucks and wondering if they are worth it? Do they really help warm up and winter debree?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Oh yes, they work well.

When I picked my truck up from the dealer, they had put both covers on like I had asked. I really just wanted them to put the covers on the first time so I would not have to hassle with them.

They are still on the truck and Engine temp at about 60 mph will get up to 200 degF with Tranny temp to about 145. This is with ambient air temp of about 33 degF.

I thought about taking them off but it's nasty outside.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Also looking to buy a winter cover. The GM cover provided looks too much of a hassle to put on and off. Also I don't like the fact that dirt and salt gets underneath and you have to constantly remove it to clean.

Found some of these. Anyone have them and can comment on pros and cons?

So far I am tossed between the Fia and the BAK

Fia Winter Front and Bug Screen Combo

<A name=ColdFronts>BAK Cold Fronts</A>

Putco Cold Front

Lund Cold Front

Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
154 Posts
The grill cover is a must if you live anywhere cold. 30 deg. and lower. The factory covers are a pain and because dirt, salt and sand get under them they scratch and buff the grill and any plastic under them. I have the Cloud Rider (Lund) from Max Power and I love it. But if you want to pull it off or put it on in two seconds.....It ain't gonna happen. I suspect from looking at most of those that JonnyO shows above that none of them will come of in "a blink of the eye". So look around and choose the one that looks best to you and then learn how to put it on/off. It will all work out and no matter what it will be better than the stock one.

Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am hoping to find one like the big rigs where I just pull a handle and the shutters close for the winter. I live in Atlanta and lately it is low 30's in the morning and 60+ on the way home. I am using only the top cover and I am seeing no problems with the engine temp or the trans but the trans is running around 180 where it is usually always under 120 unless I am towing or stuck in stop and go. I am thinking about trying to make one that fits behind the grill. If I do you will see some picks but don't hold your breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts