Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week the local Dealership serviced my brothers 2005 LLY,and they told him his winter front (cloud-rider) was causing the tranny to run hot.I dont believe that.He doesnt tow anything.I run mine also,and noticed that temp is right where it should be.Just wondering if any one else has had a problem.Temps have been a little above normal,but I dont buy what there saying. THANKS:confused:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What are they calling hot? Did it have a code that it was hot?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
just got home with mine. outside temp is 2 deg. only have grill cover on. trans temp at 150-ish. a little warmer than without cover on

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
My tranny temps, according to the guage, runs about 110-120 with the cover on at or around 0 degrees. Without it on, the tranny temps will never get above 100. I run the cover usually below 25 degrees.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No He didnt have any codes,I guess dealer was trying to sound smart.I have never gone above 150, thats when temps were in 40-50 degree range. whats not a safe level?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive had mine get hotter than it should be climbing hills with chains on all four hunting had to pull the cover to get the temps back down to norm.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I run mine with the grill cover on almost all winter. When it is real cold, I cover the bumper holes with duct tape because it is easier than putting the bumper cover on and when the weather warms up I just pull the tape.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I m being lazy right now,its to cold to go out to my truck.The tranny cooler is behind the bumper right? If thats the case they didnt take those off.His cloud rider bumper covers are different then mine,his breathe better then mine.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I m being lazy right now,its to cold to go out to my truck.The tranny cooler is behind the bumper right? If thats the case they didnt take those off.His cloud rider bumper covers are different then mine,his breathe better then mine.
No it's pretty smack dab in the middle of the grill.I run my grill cover all winter never had a problem

·
Registered
218 Posts
Like others have said, I too, have been running the grill cover when the temps are below +/- 25 deg... and I have not seen tranny temps over 150 deg. Cheers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEAH ON my truck I run it all winter long,I dont have any problems on my LB7,just wasnt sure about a LLY
THANKS EVERYBODY

·
Registered
557 Posts
Grille cover on. 55 degrees out. Trans ran 160 while towing 4,000 lbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run with both the grill and bumber covers on most of the winter. The only issue I have seen is, after a run down the interstate for about 40 miles the fan kicked in when I got to the end of the off ramp and had to stop for a light. The tranny has never showed and signs of high temp.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
No bumper cover. It got up to 55* today and only saw temps to about 185*

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had an 04 GMC and an 05 Chevy, and the GMC Tranny ran cooler than the chevy. The reason I think is because of the grill design and emblem placement. For 06, they have finally gotten smart and lowered the cooler down from behind the emblem. Bout time.
The grill cover should make some temp difference because it is blocking exactly over the tranny cooler. Maybe it doesn't need a lot of cooling when it is not pulling very hard.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My trans usually runs right around the first numbered mark (I forget what the number is off hand) But when I forget to take off the cloudrider and the temps get above 40 degrees or so the trans does run significantly hotter when I run the truck in traffic or around town. When the torque converter is locked up though, like on long stretches of highway the tranny doesn't seem to make much heat anyway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Towing approx 4K on Sunday at about 32F. When I pulled over to pull my grill cover, wife asked what the hell I was doing. I said a test. Tranny temp dropped from about 185 to less than 150 in about 15 minutes. Pulling speed was averaging around 80 MPH with moderate long hills (Duluth, MN area). Just remember that there is a direct corallation between oil temp (motor or trans) and longevity of it - just ask the boys at Amsoil. Cooler is better - at least after up to operating temp. I will not run my cover when it is more than 32F.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get this.... I was told by a friend that someone he knows went through two or three sets of heads (cracked i think) (I don't remember which) because he was running hot air throught the intercooler and not getting it cool enough to cool the air going into the heads and intake. He was pulling a four horse trailer with the winter cover on. The guy who told me this has had 6.2's, 6.5's and now has 2 duramaxes. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not but I took my winter cover off.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
zsqure,
If the intercooler doesn't have air going through it, it simply cuts power by not having as dense of air charge. To crack heads, you would have to be overheating the engine. You certainly could overheat by pulling hard with the cover on, but I would think the fan would be roaring and the temp gauge screaming at you before damage would occur.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts