Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here they only plow the roads wide enough for passenger cars. Between the center of the road snow pile and the berm I'm constantly trying to keep things straight. What am I missing here? :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dually's suk in the snow!! I put about 800lb in the rear of the bed and it helps a bunch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
T172JR;1594942; said:
Dually's suk in the snow!! I put about 800lb in the rear of the bed and it helps a bunch.
What he said X2 ...right now im in nebraska. I got 12 60lb tubes of sand in the bed of mine and its a big help but I still gota go catch the rear end every now and then.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My previous dually was a 97 regular cab 4x4 with a 350 gasser in it. It did AWESOME in the snow, never had problems, completly empty bed too. Dunno why but i liked it.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
My dually does just fine...be aware that our fat bottomed girls are more prone to fishtailing, and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
HER GMC;1594784; said:
Around here they only plow the roads wide enough for passenger cars. Between the center of the road snow pile and the berm I'm constantly trying to keep things straight. What am I missing here? :eek:
had the same problem here in Ohio this whole past week. had so much snow so fast, when they finally got around to plowing the roads most of them were barely to the edge of the lane, no bit of a birm at all cleared. mad for a few interesting moments. but if no cars were coming the other way i just hung left of center a bit.

·
Registered
768 Posts
no issues here at all i commercial plow with mine, 900 plus pound v- plow on the front and 1/2 ton in the rear , gas and go

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stopped at Home Depot to get 200# (already have 600#'s) of tube sand and they are out for the season...

I guess I will just drive accordingly! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have a spare vehicle to drive in bad weather. When I do have to use the dually, I shovel the snow in the bed. It melts out on it's own, and gives me traction while the snow is on the ground.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Must be a ton of snow:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Winter driving

The Stock tires on the dually's are not good in the snow. So I just hit the button for 4x6 (4x6 my sons Idea of funny) and go slow. I refuse to get new tires until the stock tires are somewhat used. I live way up north 6 miles from Canada and we can get some nice amounts of snow. I have never tried wieght in the back. I can only imagine it would work but being lazy I do not want to lift all the sand. That would be what boys are for right? All I have to do is let the wife drive it in a good snow storm:eek: and I bet I could get new tires sooner:cool: . Believe what I say when tires make all the difference. ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
actually - my dually does MUCH better with stock tires than any other dually and tire combination I've had. In 4wd I feel like I'm riding on rails.

If there is something better out there - I guess I'll be VERY surprised when I find it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Like everyone else said, weight and drive accordingly. I live in North Dakota where we can see fair amounts of snow. (Except for this year......everyone else got our snow!)

I do have an old 92 Subaru Loyal with push button 4WD that I drive in bad weather. But if I need to drive the dually, I go slow, pay attention that the fat bottomed girl will sway more, and you should be fine.

I have seen a couple dually owners around here that will take the outside dual off. It makes for a funny looking truck, but it does much better in the snow!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im up in Vermont and we just got a sh!t load (3 feet in one storm) of snow same deal with the roads beign real narrow and my dualy seems to be extremly good in the snow with no weight in the back and stock tires. It can sometimes start to swing but olny when i jump on her!

·
Registered
783 Posts
The reason for the duallies being more apt to fishtail is because the four rear tires are dividing up the weight, instead of being divided by only two. So if the back of the truck weighed, say 2000 lbs, each tire is pressing down on the road only 500 lbs, as opposed to 1000 lbs. So traction is seriously compromised. And the longer the wheelbase (ie; ext cab or crew cab), the worse it gets. Add a diesel up front, then a big snowplow, and you don't have much at all on the rear tires. I carry a 950 lb plow on the front, with a diesel, I'm lucky if my rear tires even leave tracks in the snow. I have to use twice as much ballast as I did in my srw plow trucks. That said, I love how easy it is to fishtail and drift the long wheelbase when empty. I've driven it sideways for several hundred feet through parking lots, makes me feel like a kid again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts