Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Sierra with a Duramax and today I was trying to put the winter cover on it. I'm not sure what the snaps at the top are supposed to snap around and the little J hooks on the bottom don't seem to be able to grip anything. The Dmax supplemental manual mentioned something about pins but the instructions that were actually in the cover did not (nor does the cover have any pins). I'd like to put this thing on being it is getting cold now but it does not seem to fit on there. Any tips/tricks to getting it on there?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The snaps go under the plastic push-pins that hold the black plastic radiator shroud down. You pry up the center portion with a flat blade screwdriver and then the whole fastener can be removed. Reinsert the fastener through the hole in the snap base (snap up) into the shroud and press down the center pin to relock. The hooks on the bottom and sides contain soft metal and are "bendable" and must be pre-contoured to use (mine were just flat tabs the first time). The first fitting can be kind of tough, and is really difficult to accomplish in the cold. A heated garage really helps, but the best idea is to toss the cover into a dryer for a couple of minutes and then quickly fit it while warm and flexible. I start with a bottom corner, move across the bottom and then up both sides stretching and centering the cover and bending the hooks as necessary for best fit inside the grill edge. Snaps are last and outside to center works best. Don't be afraid to readjust the hooks as necessary to get a smooth and centered fit. After the first fitting and use, it's a lot easier and the snaps can stay on the shroud under the hood year-round. Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The J hooks clip around the grill. If I remember correctly, I had to bend them they are flexable. You also have to put the snaps in the first time in the plastic above the grill where the hood closes. Just did mine this morning, used it about 2 months last winter. The snaps stay on after the initial install. Good Luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the snaps and didn't see any hole in the tab there where that plastic pin could go through. Unfortunately the instruction sheet that came in with the cover was sparse and also not printed that well so hard to even read it.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bottom J hooks didn't seem fall into a place where it could bend around something, nor did the flaps that go next to the headlights stay in place.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Wow, that doesn't sound like mine, Bigdog. Mine had nice holes punched in the fuzzy snap backings and fit like a glove. Are you sure that you got the correct year and type (GMC/Chevy) cover? I'd check with your dealer and have them swap or verify the stock number.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was in the back of the truck so I assumed it was the right cover. I will ask them tho as maybe they did screw up??? It does say GMC on the grill portion of it tho.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BigDog

Mine didn't want to stay in place either the first time I installed it. I needed to stretch it a bit while putting it on. I like what Idle_Chatter says about the dryer and am going to try that for a better fit. I think a little heat will help.

I am not clear on the above info. Do you have both pieces of each clip? There should be an ancor that fits in where the fastener pins are located above the radiator. The ancor fits in and the male half of the snap screws into the ancor. I think you might be able to install it without the snaps if you don't have both pieces as a decent portion is under the front edge of hood. I had to get the bendable hooks in place and then bend them once positioned. I don't know how diff. the GMC is mine is a Chevy. Hope it goes well I know it sure is getting colder here.

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine didn't have anchors that go under the plastic tabs. The parts with the snaps on it also had the other half on the same pieces. I had to fold the ends in the form of a j and hook them and then snap one piece to the other- it's just a way of tightening it up after everything is hooked. The bottom piece is trickier to fit as it fits tight The dryer idea and heated garage is a good one for the first time. The triangle in the middle is to be cut out if you have a front license plate so the cover will slide around it. I didn't cut mine out- I found it will go on covering the plate if you warm it up enough- just that you take a chance if you're in a location where the front plate is supposed to be visible, like I am!

·
Registered
444 Posts
With the cover,you should have also received a bag of screw in snaps that you mount to the front top frame. You have to remove plastic covers on the top of the frame to put them in. A screw driver or butter knife removes the old covers easy. The new ones pop in then with a philips screw driver tighten them. Once you this the first time you can leave them there.

Now, To put on the cover:

First, have all the NARROW Bottom felt flaps bent the shape of a loose "J" Like a fish hook. I made the bends in the middle and it fits well. You want a loose "J" so it can hook the frame.

I found it's easier to start from the bottom. Lay the cover with the outside facing down on your bumper. Then slide it under the grill lift up and pull forward a bit. The "J's" will hook on the underneath of the grill. You may have to help the "J's" a bit to catch. It easy to put your hand in and make sure the J's caught.

Next is the side felt flaps. Just bend these into more of a "C" shape the slide in between the grill and the headlamps. It's a tight fit so it takes some stretching.

Then snap the top.

It's really was very easy and fast after the first time. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Pictures:

Picture of the bottom:

Side:

side-top

Top:

Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't receive the bag of screws and snaps and the dealer didn't have any, even on the new trucks so we're going to try and order the kit (at his expense).

·
Registered
149 Posts
That was a chevy with the snaps. mines a 2003 GMC Sierra so it should be the same as yours. It however only has the 2 snaps at the top so if your's has more it's different. Heres a pic with the top edge of the cover folded back. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
MaineMax someone was selling one I don't know if it is still avail. but

Check here

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2901&PN=11

BigDog

Looking at the posts/pics from Johnny O and Army. The covers are very diff for the Chevy and GMC. It looks like the GMC has the "J" hooks with snaps on them. The Chevy has the fasteners to remove and the ancors to install.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Army,
I can't seem to find the J hook with snaps. Were they attached to your cover or am I not looking at something right on the cover? The female snaps are on the top where it goes under the hood.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looks like there are two different styles. This is good to know if you are buying one.

2003 Silverado has snap fastners that screw in:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yea dieselman- they are attached to the underside of my cover- they wern't a J to start with, I had to bend them as you do with all the other tabs. Looks like I should wash under my hood- JohnnyO 's looks a lot cleaner than mine!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, looks like my 2001 Silverado has a different system. My snaps are on a fuzzy "tab" with a hole that goes under the radiator shroud fasteners, no screws. Sorry if I mislead or confused you.
I've used my grill cover every winter since purchasing the truck in 2001, but have never used the bumper cover. It seemed more trouble that it was worth, especially since I have a front plate. Have weathered several winters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York and now Ohio and the grill cover alone has been more than enough.
Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just finished putting on my cover. It is exactly the same as army's. The snaps are just for tightening up the cover after you have it all fitted. In Ontario, Canada we have to display the front plate. This was easy. Just take off your front plate and holder. Take an exacto knife and cut the stitching for the front plate hole. Put on the cover and put the license plate bracket back on. I also put my cover in front of my garage heater before I put it on. It fit real well. I was surprised. It sure makes a difference. I couldn't even get the transmission temp to read and the engine temp would only get up about half way. I think that my fuel mileage has also increased now that things can get up to temperature.

·
Registered
347 Posts
BigDog:

I have the 2003 Sierra too. To install the cover (after bending the flat tabs into a 'J' shape), I just push in the flaps next to the headlights and hood the top 2 corner pieces (the ones next to the flaps). Then I hook the top two (the ones with the snaps). Then I start at one side and hook in the bottom ones. To do this I put my index finger on each side of the tab and push it under and up. They attach to the back edge of the grill. The last step it to snap the top snaps to the tabs.

The Sierra grill cover DOES NOT need extra hardware (no screws) and no piece of it stays behind when it is removed.

I put on a cold cover (20 degree weather) the other night with no problems.

Later

1 - 20 of 24 Posts